2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Will lowering 1" with springs mess up my alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/10, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will lowering 1" with springs mess up my alignment?

I know it is a noob question, but the last car that I lowered was FWD and after lowering it the insides of the tires would wear out first. What is the best way to lower a mustang without throwing out the alignment?
Old 5/9/10, 07:29 PM
Cobra R Member

If you lower, get an alignment. Lowering changes your caster/camber and without one, you can cause premature tire and suspension wear .

Last edited by WaltM; 5/9/10 at 07:32 PM.
Old 5/9/10, 08:07 PM
V6 Member

If only 1", you shouldn't need anything at all... You'll have a slight increase in negative camber, but it'll actually help increase front grip in cornering. Chances are that a 1" drop will still be within factory specs, as far as camber (though near the - limit). If you do need to change anything, camber bolts will work, or if you like to make occasional camber adjustments, use a set of camber plates.
Old 5/9/10, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by oldlugs
If only 1", you shouldn't need anything at all... You'll have a slight increase in negative camber, but it'll actually help increase front grip in cornering. Chances are that a 1" drop will still be within factory specs, as far as camber (though near the - limit). If you do need to change anything, camber bolts will work, or if you like to make occasional camber adjustments, use a set of camber plates.

I JUST did this....1" drop in front, 1 1/4" in rear, as in less than 2 weeks ago. Guess what? Alignment was needed the second it was lowered from the rack when the springs were installed. It was obvious as hell that it needed to be done and to just 'not' do it asks for more trouble than its worth. Mine very obviously had each wheel pointing different directions. Whats $120 to address something that can (if wronge or off) affect so many things adversly (tire wear, safe driving, suspension components, etc) after spending the money to lower your car? If your car is just a DD and something you really dont care about, then sure, skip it. If its something you want to take care of and last? Just make the appointment and dont mess around with it.

Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

Andretti
Old 5/9/10, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do yourself a favor and pick up a set of Koni STR.Ts for $320 or another set of struts/shocks while you're doing the springs. I just did the springs at first and a year or two later the stock shocks/struts were completely worn out. Save yourself the labor and do it all at once.
Old 5/9/10, 09:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Do yourself a favor and pick up a set of Koni STR.Ts for $320 or another set of struts/shocks while you're doing the springs. I just did the springs at first and a year or two later the stock shocks/struts were completely worn out. Save yourself the labor and do it all at once.

Words of wisdom. Get it done all at once. It's cheaper and better!
Old 5/10/10, 07:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
get an alignment for shore. Get the life time alignment and have no worries from then on, its worth it if you plan on messing around in the future