2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Will '05 V6 owners get some respect from GT crowd?

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/04, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The absolute most important thing to keep in mind for ALL mustang owners is this:

It doesn't matter if you get a 6 or an 8. The 6 is still the most important and key stone mustang for one reason...

In the first 2.5 years of the mustang's existance, it was (and has been ever since) the most affordable sports car on the market. I use that term sports car by yesteryear's standards. The mustang has always been a sporty car for a good price, and tha vast majority of the mustangs that were sold in the first gen of the car were 6's, and 6's made up the majority of sales on most all of the mustangs.

The reason is simple. It lets folks get a sporty car for a low price. It's fun to drive, and it's economical. The V8 cars are different. They are much more powerful. They are designed for one thing... Driving THRILL. they are NOT as economical, but are however MORE economical than most sports cars, and far more economical than any V8 sports car I know of.

Still, the V6 car is a staple of the mustang stable. It supports (through steady sales) the ever increasing demand of the enthusiasts' community for more and more power.

The V8 mustangs are an increadible and inspiring tribute to the glory days of mustangs, however, folks need to realize that the V6 car is just as important to the history of the mustang. For without the staple Inline 6 and later V6 models, the GT's would have no base on which to improve, NOR would they even exists. The low cost/high volume of V6 sales alows the V8 owners to dream and own dreams.

Now, as for myself... I own BOTH. Both in many senses of the interpretation.

I own a 1966 V8 (302) car. I converted it from an I6 car. That thing smokes all day long. Yesterday, My wife and I purchased an 05 V6 under the following logic:

Why spend ANY more money on a V8 car when a: we do not NEED it and b: We already HAVE it

Most folks may not even be able to do what I have done, and I have to say that I have respect for the V6 owners of ANY year that simply have the car and keep it stock. There's no need to modify it! Just be happy to have a sporty car that you can enjoy.

The wife and I found that we could afford a fully loaded V6 for LESS than a standard V8. We drive about 80 miles round trip each day. If we are going to make that kind of trip, we want comfort and afordability. The V6 car is a natural choice. It has better fuel economy, the insurance is cheaper, the car costs less, AND I can get more in it for less. You tell me how that's a bad idea?

A mustang always has been and always will be a mustang irregardless of specs. Each model is special in its own right, and folks need to understand one simple fact. You should get what works best for you and just enjoy it. Don't wear it on your sleave. Don't badger others for their decisions. Just do what you like and leave the rest alone.

Would anyone dare to tell me I'm foolish for buying a V6? I would like to see someone that doesn't imediately say... "Well, there are always exceptions". I have news. LIFE is an exception. Enjoy what you like, shut your mouth, and leave others to their own. You'll find much more pleasure from life if you do.

***END RANT***

EDITED FOR SPELLING AND CONTENT
Old 12/2/04, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I drove a 2001 V6 and I decided to upgrade b/c this was my first "new off the lot" purchase of any car. but I loved my V6. When I got it I thought I was the b/c had a mustang. So I'm not going to bust on any of the V6rers. They have my respect. And when I "upgrade" next time hopefully it will be cobra.
Old 12/2/04, 09:43 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by StangerX@December 2, 2004, 10:23 AM
The absolute most important thing to keep in mind for ALL mustang owners is this:

It doesn't matter if you get a 6 or an 8. The 6 is still the most important and key stone mustang for one reason...

In the first 2.5 years of the mustang's existance, it was (and has been ever since) the most affordable sports car on the market. I use that term sports car by yesteryear's standards. The mustang has always been a sporty car for a good price, and tha vast majority of the mustangs that were sold in the first gen of the car were 6's, and 6's made up the majority of sales on most all of the mustangs.

The reason is simple. It lets folks get a sporty car for a low price. It's fun to drive, and it's economical. The V8 cars are different. They are much more powerful. They are designed for one thing... Driving THRILL. they are NOT as economical, but are however MORE economical than most sports cars, and far more economical than any V8 sports car I know of.

Still, the V6 car is a staple of the mustang stable. It supports (through steady sales) the ever increasing demand of the enthusiasts' community for more and more power.

The V8 mustangs are an increadible and inspiring tribute to the glory days of mustangs, however, folks need to realize that the V6 car is just as important to the history of the mustang. For without the staple Inline 6 and later V6 models, the GT's would have no base on which to improve, NOR would they even exists. The low cost/high volume of V6 sales alows the V8 owners to dream and own dreams.

Now, as for myself... I own BOTH. Both in many senses of the interpretation.

I own a 1966 V8 (302) car. I converted it from an I6 car. That thing smokes all day long. Yesterday, My wife and I purchased an 05 V6 under the following logic:

Why spend ANY more money on a V8 car when a: we do not NEED it and b: We already HAVE it

Most folks may not even be able to do what I have done, and I have to say that I have respect for the V6 owners of ANY year that simply have the car and keep it stock. There's no need to modify it! Just be happy to have a sporty car that you can enjoy.

The wife and I found that we could afford a fully loaded V6 for LESS than a standard V8. We drive about 80 miles round trip each day. If we are going to make that kind of trip, we want comfort and afordability. The V6 car is a natural choice. It has better fuel economy, the insurance is cheaper, the car costs less, AND I can get more in it for less. You tell me how that's a bad idea?

A mustang always has been and always will be a mustang irregardless of specs. Each model is special in its own right, and folks need to understand one simple fact. You should get what works best for you and just enjoy it. Don't wear it on your sleave. Don't badger others for their decisions. Just do what you like and leave the rest alone.

Would anyone dare to tell me I'm foolish for buying a V6? I would like to see someone that doesn't imediately say... "Well, there are always exceptions". I have news. LIFE is an exception. Enjoy what you like, shut your mouth, and leave others to their own. You'll find much more pleasure from life if you do.

***END RANT***

EDITED FOR SPELLING AND CONTENT
Well said, now on to the next topic, will owners of IUP Mustangs accept those without it, ok j/k. But the point is, most people want to have more options available. Which engine is an option.
Old 12/2/04, 09:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Good stuff Phil, I just have a couple things here...

1. I don't have my Mustang Red Book here at work, but I believe that V8's out sold 6's in the first generation Mustang.

2. Sure the base model Mustang is very necessary to keep the breed alive, but the owner of said base model should not demand the same kind of respect (especially respect that is based on performance) from a GT or Cobra owner.

3. Of course you aren't foolish for buying a V6. You bought it because it fulfills your needs, and in many ways better than a GT would. There are great reasons for buying the V6, none of which involve performance, which is the main factor with regard to "respect".
Old 12/2/04, 10:31 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The V6 Mustang is a great entry-level sporty car

Especially with the 2005, with all the power and styling enchancements, it is an awesome car that seems to fit many people's needs at that price point.

There are many who feel that V6 mustangs are not "real" mustangs to which I disagree. It obviously fills a niche and through its sales numbers its existence is justified. If I was not the position to purchase a GT I would glady get the V6 and would enjoy driving it.
Old 12/2/04, 10:59 AM
mav
GT Member

Old 12/2/04, 11:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by mav@December 2, 2004, 12:02 PM
I think the whole question of "will '05 V6 owners get some respect from GT crowd?" is an attempt to justify your decision to purchase the V6.
:nono: You couldn't be more wrong. I've owned a 2000 GT, a 2001 Cobra, and a 1988 GT. I don't need any justification for anything. I'm not able to buy a new Mustang any time soon unfortunately (unless I hit the lotto or something) so there's no merit to your statement what so ever. I really like both cars enough that I would be upset about owning either one. I'm one who treated all fellow Mustang owners with equal respect when I had mine. I don't need to look to anyone for justification for anything I do. I don't care what anyone else thinks. I was just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Obviously, you have some kind of issue and apparently more money than most people to just say "I can't see why anyone wouldn't pay the extra money for a GT" without thinking of the many possible reasons someone couldn't afford or just wouldn't want a GT.
Old 12/2/04, 11:31 AM
V6 Member

Just a thought to ponder:

You're sitting in front of the local ice cream stand on a nice and warm summer night. As you look around, you see two cars passing in opposite directions. One is a 1969 Boss302, and the other is a 69 Mustang, trunk, hub-caps, you get the idea. Which way would you look?

I respect them both for what they are. But... I know which way my eyes are going !! :yes:
Old 12/2/04, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Retro GT@December 2, 2004, 12:34 PM
Just a thought to ponder:

You're sitting in front of the local ice cream stand on a nice and warm summer night. As you look around, you see two cars passing in opposite directions. One is a 1969 Boss302, and the other is a 69 Mustang, trunk, hub-caps, you get the idea. Which way would you look?

I respect them both for what they are. But... I know which way my eyes are going !! :yes:
I would go crosseyed.
Old 12/2/04, 11:50 AM
V6 Member

Interesting topic.

For me, I like the styling of the V6 better. No fog lamps and no spoiler. It instantly takes me back to my childhood when my family had the 60s versions of the pony.

I haven't driven the 6 -- yet. I have driven the GT and can honestly say the ride is a heart-pounding, throw-you-back-in-your-chair grin.

There are a group of guys at work, who have given me grief over my liking of the V6, saying the typical hard-azz guy things that have been written in this forum, but it really doesn't matter. I like both cars.

My decision this spring will be based on finances. The extra $100 a month and higher insurance are definetely factors. If I can afford the GT, I'll get it, otherwise, the V6 will be just fine. I don't need the tickets anyway...LOL

Bottom Line is: Buy what you like and like what you buy.

As for speed and driving fast, I've driven a 2002 SVT Focus for the past couple of years. At 170HP and a 4-cylinder, its is a little rocket ship. Anyone who has ever driven one will tell you how much fun they are to drive. A four-banger CAN be fun, but the Mustang is just too big/heavy for that.
Old 12/2/04, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

The boss would easilly garner the most glances, however, I would equally respect both owners equally for supporting the hobby. I would also hold more respect for the owner that does his own work, less for the one that takes it to a resto-shop (irregardless of the quality of the car).

I don't think a V6 is more important than a V8 any more than a V8 is more important than a V6. They are both new cars, and people need to understand that it's just a car. V6 guys need to know (as I feel most do) that the V8 will stomp the V6. The V8 guys need to understand that the V6 is a lifeline.

The fact that you can buy a GT shows me little more than you are possibly able to make a bigger monthly payment. That doesn't garner any more respect in my book.

As far as performance, should an 05 mustang GT owner get more respect than a 1966 A code mustang owner just because his car is faster? I think not. A mustang is a mustang is a mustang. The classics require overwhelming amounts of time and engergy just to keep on the road. What's more... they're not excatly still being produced.

Anything that I can buy off of a lot right now is far from special in my book (even the most recent Mach 1s or Cobras). Therefore, it's an even playing field. I don't plan on racing V8's any time soon. I know my "performance" roll. Yet, I respect all fellow mustang owners because it says MUSTANG. Like I said.... Just drive what you like and what you can, and enjoy it. Don't demand MORE respect or act high and mighty because you own a brand new car who's payment is higher than someone else's. Just do it for you.

I'm not sure of the exact engine production number either blake, but as soon as someone gets them, I'm sure they'll end up on here. I always have been told that the 6 Cyl mustangs have outsold the V8 Mustangs (with no current source to back my info). If I'm wrong, I'll gladly stand corrected.

To summarize: Speed costs money. How fast can you afford to go? An 05 GT is faster than an 05 V6, but an 04 Cobra is faster than an 05 GT. Better still, a 69 Boss 429 burries them all. It's all negated. Just enjoy your nice new car smell, and leave the rest to be. If you see a fellow mustang owner and feel so inclined.... give him a thumb's up regardless of what that car may be. After all... they're ALL Mustangs.
Old 12/2/04, 12:15 PM
mav
GT Member

Old 12/2/04, 12:17 PM

Here are the 2003 sales numbers:

V6 Coupe 59,943
V6 Convertible 26,500
Total V6: 86,443 (55.6%)

GT Coupe 26,238
GT Convertible 15,518
Total GT: 41,756 (26.9%)

Centennial Coupe 717
Centennial Convertible 1,323
Centennial Total: 2,040 (1.3%)

Mach 1 9,652 (6.2%)

Cobra Coupe 8,394
Cobra Convertible 5,082
Total Cobra: 13,476 (8.7%)

Total Production: 155,370
Old 12/2/04, 12:19 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by StangerX@December 2, 2004, 12:06 PM
A mustang is a mustang is a mustang.
Old 12/2/04, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm getting the V6 and I feel great about it. Lets look at the price difference:

4K extra for the car itself
at least 2.5K extra for fuel over the life of the car*
at least 2.5K extra for insurance over the life of the car
=
9K for two extra cylinders.

NO THANKS!

*Fuel cost was based on 150,000 miles over the car's life. 20MPG V6 and 17MPG GT using $2/gal fuel.
Old 12/2/04, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by mav@December 2, 2004, 1:18 PM

If you didn't care then why ask in the first place?
Are we no longer allowed to just ask questions to people's opinions or thoughts? I thought that was kind of the idea of forums. To get info and ask questions and see what people have to say. Just because it may not apply to you doesn't mean you can't ask a question. :bang:
Old 12/2/04, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't forget the Interest earned on that extra 4K the GT costs. That adds a little more cost dynamic to the car.

Something I want to stress here to everyone is that most of us (regardless of our choice) would most likely LOVE to have the V8. I know I would. It's a much faster car. However, not all of us can afford the extra cost. I'd also bet the bank that if you had an opportunity to own the Ford GT as aposed to the GT mustang, you'd take it, right? If you couldn't afford a Mustang at all, but were given a V6, would you take it happilly?

Important note: There is ALWAYS a bigger fish. Be humble, and enjoy what you can afford. At least those of us buying a V6 are driving a Mustang and not a plastic Civic, Carolla, Accord, Camry, Celica, etc.

Paul McCartney Said it best: "The love you take is equal to the love you make". You Get what you give.
Old 12/2/04, 12:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by StangerX+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (StangerX)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> The boss would easilly garner the most glances, however, I would equally respect both owners equally for supporting the hobby. I would also hold more respect for the owner that does his own work, less for the one that takes it to a resto-shop (irregardless of the quality of the car).[/b]

Good point here, but I do have to point out that the '69 plain Jane six banger is part of the hobby because it takes someone that loves that car to keep it going. I would argue that it takes nothing in the way of devotion or enthusiasm (other than a relatively small car payment) to own a latemodel six cyl. I do have to agree that someone that does their own work is to be respected (even though "irregardless" isn't a word :P )

Originally posted by StangerX+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (StangerX)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> As far as performance, should an 05 mustang GT owner get more respect than a 1966 A code mustang owner just because his car is faster? I think not. A mustang is a mustang is a mustang.
[/b]

Eh, this is kind of an apples-to-oranges comparison. In it's day, an A code Mustang was close to the top of the heap (aside from the K code and k code equipped Shelbys). Doesn't seem fair to use a time machine against the 'ol girl from 40 years ago.

<!--QuoteBegin-StangerX
@
I'm not sure of the exact engine production number either blake, but as soon as someone gets them, I'm sure they'll end up on here. I always have been told that the 6 Cyl mustangs have outsold the V8 Mustangs [/quote]

Yeah, I know that's been the case for decades, but I don't think it was that way with the first generation. Some evidence of this could be the '66 Sprint 200 edition. A trim package used to dress up the six cyl because so many V8's were ordered, they were having supply problems. But again, neither of us have hard facts on this, so what do we know, right?

<!--QuoteBegin-StangerX

An 05 GT is faster than an 05 V6, but an 04 Cobra is faster than an 05 GT. Better still, a 69 Boss 429 burries them all. [/quote]
Gotta disagree there. While a wonderful piece of automotive history, an '04 cobra would destroy a Boss 429 in a contest of speed. Heck, I bet the '05 GT would give the boss a run for it's money. Another instance of old tech being good for it's day, but can't compare to the new tech stuff.

FWIW, I'm not picking on you Phil. We just seem to have a dialog going, with some interesting thoughts. Also, I'm not getting all red-faced here on my side of the monitor screen. Just some good, constructive conversation.
Old 12/2/04, 01:12 PM
mav
GT Member

Old 12/2/04, 01:19 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@December 2, 2004, 12:55 AM
Those who diss it are just ignorant, and are completly unaware that without the V6 we wouldn't have a GT.
sooo true.......an 05 mustang is an 05 mustang weather its a v6 or GT. much love to both. im getting a GT but i look at it this way: whoever owns/gets a v6 has some dam good taste cuz the car is very nice.

Quick Reply: Will '05 V6 owners get some respect from GT crowd?