2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Why people hate the GT spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/07, 01:24 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyMaster19
Dude I told you not to take pictures of my sister and your car
You should see what your sister is doing in the 'other' pics that I have.
Old 12/4/07, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see you're in Canton, doubt that's what the dress code called for today...
Old 12/4/07, 01:29 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by SkyMaster19
I see you're in Canton, doubt that's what the dress code called for today...
Nope
Old 12/5/07, 01:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
The Stang has fine lines and looks fantastic without it. The GT spoiler is purely a codpiece that, if anything, detracts from performance -- just some cheesy tack on mandated by the sales department for the peacocks of the Mustang buyers.
I dunno about detracting from performance or about it being a codpiece. I was waxing my car the other day and noticed that the spoiler was actually not flat but rather had a sloping end on the front of it that meets the flattened "top" The profile is flattened at the "ears". It doesn't make sense to design in an aerodynamic element that's not functional and would add to production costs.

In any case it appears there's some engineering here and not akin to the flattened out JCWhitney specials seen elsewhere. The downward slope at the front suggests additional downforce which is what a rear spoiler is for anyway.

The 70's Camaro's and Firebird's rear spoilers were actually functional too. The Camaro spoilers were designed to start working at around 60MPH while the Firebird was designed to kick in at around 70. Most people thought they were just for looks too but if you look at them you can see the profile on them does differ.

Old 12/5/07, 04:33 PM
V6 Member

This is the spoiler I want:
Attachment 36618
Attached Thumbnails Why people hate the GT spoiler-tail-gun.jpg  
Old 12/5/07, 04:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice.

tailgunner photoshopped onto a beer truck.
Old 12/5/07, 05:04 PM

dunno about detracting from performance or about it being a codpiece. I was waxing my car the other day and noticed that the spoiler was actually not flat but rather had a sloping end on the front of it that meets the flattened "top" The profile is flattened at the "ears". It doesn't make sense to design in an aerodynamic element that's not functional and would add to production costs.
Show me an airplane wing thats mostly flat in the front, if angled slightly, with a sharp bend leading to a flat top. Even the "wobblin' goblin" F-117's wing approximated a true airfoil in a faceted way -- and practically took a Cray computer to make flyable. Add the blocky supports and it's pretty clear that this is, at best, a make-believe, stylized rendition of a real wing, but certainly not the real thing. It might produce a few ounces of incidental downforce, but only at the cost of a disproportionately high drag ratio.

Again, this is a macho-boosting design piece, not an engineered performance piece -- form over function rather than form follows function. And to some, that's all that matters, that it makes 'em look badder azz, and that's OK of course, but just don't try to pertend it's the real deal as its just a bit of macho fantasy molded in plastic.

The Camaro and Firebird spoilers were actual aerodynamic appendages first and foremost, though artfully rendered, and probably did contribute to some significant downforce at speed without putting out the air brakes. Same goes for the GT500 and even the original Boss/Mach I rear wing.
Old 12/5/07, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Spoilers are for GIRLS, all looks and no workie
Old 12/5/07, 07:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by YardSpecial
Spoilers are for GIRLS, all looks and no workie

Really! That's great! Now lots of babes are gonna follow me around just cuz of my spoiler!

Wow, Thanks for the heads up!

NEat!

Wow!

Old 12/5/07, 07:04 PM
GT Member

Show me an airplane wing thats mostly flat in the front, if angled slightly, with a sharp bend leading to a flat top. Even the "wobblin' goblin" F-117's wing approximated a true airfoil in a faceted way -- and practically took a Cray computer to make flyable. Add the blocky supports and it's pretty clear that this is, at best, a make-believe, stylized rendition of a real wing, but certainly not the real thing. It might produce a few ounces of incidental downforce, but only at the cost of a disproportionately high drag ratio.

Again, this is a macho-boosting design piece, not an engineered performance piece -- form over function rather than form follows function. And to some, that's all that matters, that it makes 'em look badder azz, and that's OK of course, but just don't try to pertend it's the real deal as its just a bit of macho fantasy molded in plastic.

The Camaro and Firebird spoilers were actual aerodynamic appendages first and foremost, though artfully rendered, and probably did contribute to some significant downforce at speed without putting out the air brakes. Same goes for the GT500 and even the original Boss/Mach I rear wing.

Yeah well when I hit 5th gear and pull the lever for hyperspace it makes all the difference. It makes me feel really macho too. I think I grew 5 new hairs on my chest because of it!

Old 12/6/07, 12:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet car Chris!

Originally Posted by Kluski
A spoiler isn't necessary, but can look nice if done right. I like the look wihtout it, but I love mine. It goes nicely with the black chin, shaker scoop and rear panel.

Old 12/6/07, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by elcaminoguy
Yeah well when I hit 5th gear and pull the lever for hyperspace it makes all the difference. It makes me feel really macho too. I think I grew 5 new hairs on my chest because of it!

Well, no wing probably does much at all, really, till the far side of 100. So, given that we'd never contemplate breaking the speed limit, they're all a bit pretentious to some degree. But I guess it's kind of nice to think that, should you take you're car to the road race track, or Idaho, that wing would actually help you out in terms of drag and downforce.

But of course, for all those who want to strut about with make-believe wings, well, their car, their money...
Old 12/6/07, 04:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Yah, my rear spoiler is pretty much for looks, but my Whipple isn't...nothing wrong with "show" mods IMHO, but it's nice to have something under the hood to match.
Old 12/6/07, 07:21 PM
V6 Member

And now we've found a way to divide Mustang owners.

Sweet.

Last edited by Okiewan; 12/12/14 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12/6/07, 07:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Okiewan

Sweet.

Ummm, You're welcome

Old 12/6/07, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Well, no wing probably does much at all, really, till the far side of 100. So, given that we'd never contemplate breaking the speed limit, they're all a bit pretentious to some degree. But I guess it's kind of nice to think that, should you take you're car to the road race track, or Idaho, that wing would actually help you out in terms of drag and downforce.

But of course, for all those who want to strut about with make-believe wings, well, their car, their money...

Old 12/6/07, 09:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Okiewan

Sweet.
Oh let's not forget manual vs. auto.
Old 12/6/07, 09:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Oh let's not forget manual vs. auto.
Or v6 vs GT... There's lots of ways, but at least we all hate Camaro's.
Old 12/6/07, 10:46 PM
V6 Member

Ah, someone else with the Xenon rear spoiler. I had seen a picture of a Mustang with the Cervini's C wing and wanted one. My parts guy at the local Ford dealership said he could get one for me after looking at the picture. He ordered it, and it was the Xenon. I didn't like it, found the Cervini's one and had 'em switched. So I've got a Vista Blue Xenon wing sitting in my garage. Anyone interested?
Attached Images    
Old 12/6/07, 10:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Or v6 vs GT... There's lots of ways, but at least we all hate Camaro's.

Not "All" of us.

I'd like to have one of each actually. Besides if it weren't for Camaro's I wouldnt' have bought my 08 GT.

Ahhh, diversity....

Quick Reply: Why people hate the GT spoiler