2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Whirring noise.........

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/05, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I searched on here, and it appears that some people thinks it common and not a problem. Ford said "it's normal." Just wanted someone to verify if what I have is "normal."

It sounds like when you have a bad ground, or run your power & RCA wires too close together and get a high pitched whirring feedback through the speakers from the alternator. It's there when it's idling and going. With the stereo OFF, it's there at idle with the clutch OUT. Push the clutch in, and the whirring goes away. It about equally loud in low RPM's through the gears, and down right loud in 5th. If I put it in neutral, or push the clutch in, the noise goes away. It's only when there is load on the engine. It's really annoying having this high pitched whirring in traffic for 50 miles a day. Even with the stereo up pretty loud, you can still hear it. Any ideas? Is this really common? :scratch:

And it's definately not a whiny 8.8, b/c it's there when you're not even moving.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11/16/05, 07:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problems. I took it to Ford and they said that it is probably a driveline problem, but they wanted me to put more miles on it before they started digging apart my transmission. They claimed that the engineers are still working on this problem as the rear axle TSB isn't fixing all of the problems. They may release a newer ring and pinion gear to help fix the problem. I believe that the rear drive gears are Visteon, and we all know how great they are doing right now. After much arguing, I complied and agreed to give the Ford engineers some more time to come up with a better solution.