Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rear axle whirring/rubbing noise... again...

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/13, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle whirring/rubbing noise... again...

Was just driving my '13 GT 3.31 back to my apartment when all of a sudden, I start hearing the rear axle making a whirring/rubbing noise.... again...

Sounds like one of the bearings since the noise gets louder and the frequency of the slight pitch changes gets faster with speed and disappears when stopped.

I had this issue 1300 miles ago, and my dealer took a week and a half to rebuild the diff, so I am royally pissed off this is happening again. Taking it in to have it looked at tomorrow - this will be her 6th time in a dealer service shop.

Anyone else have any similar issues?
Old 6/8/13, 07:43 AM
GT Member

Had my rear axle replaced on my 2012 V6 with 15,000 on it. Issue started at 2,000. It was a rotational high pitched squeal coming from the rear axle. Only went away after the rear axle was replaced, took them long enough to come to it though.
Old 6/11/13, 09:24 AM
V6 Member

I too had a differential noise on my '12 Boss 302 that could best be described as a whirring / scraping noise. After a lot of dealership and Ford Customer Service issues I found a dealership that would fix it. They ended up replacing both axles and all bearings (axle, differential, and pinion). The noise was dramatically reduced but still there.

I had a friend with a '13 GT that had a differential noise and they replaced the entire axle assembly. The root cause was determined to be an out-of-spec differential housing. Apparently the bores for the pinion bearing weren't machined "true".

I've got a feeling that my issue will come back because the root cause wasn't addressed.
Old 6/12/13, 11:34 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CrzRsn
Was just driving my '13 GT 3.31 back to my apartment when all of a sudden, I start hearing the rear axle making a whirring/rubbing noise.... again...
Sounds like one of the bearings since the noise gets louder and the frequency of the slight pitch changes gets faster with speed and disappears when stopped.

Anyone else have any similar issues?
Hey CrzRsn,

I recommend you bring it back to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Also, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 6/22/13, 09:36 PM

There is no doubt Ford has put some noisy rear axles and or gears in these new
Mustangs. I only have 1400 miles on mine and the bearing noise is far more then
any vehicle I have ever owned....even when they had high mileage. I can even
hear a "backlash" at low speeds. I might add, I have never seen an axle as rusty
as this one is............everything under the car is new and shiny but the rear axle.
It sort of shocked me when I saw it.....I am really surprised at Ford.....hope these
rears get a recall.

Tom
Old 4/12/17, 02:12 PM

My 2011 V6 had to have the gear & pinion assembly, along with the bearing assembly (differential) replaced at 16740 miles and again at 32170 miles. Those were done under warranty.

Now at 59600 miles and over 5 years since purchase date, it's out of warranty and the same noise is coming back. The dealer and Ford customer service say this time it's going to be at my expense. Clearly others are having similar issues. WTH?!
Old 5/28/18, 05:39 PM

what was the diagnosis. i also have a 14 mustang with a whirring or metal rubbing

i also have the metal rubbing noise at 40 mph or so. have warrenty until november.
Old 5/29/18, 12:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by txnomad
My 2011 V6 had to have the gear & pinion assembly, along with the bearing assembly (differential) replaced at 16740 miles and again at 32170 miles. Those were done under warranty.

Now at 59600 miles and over 5 years since purchase date, it's out of warranty and the same noise is coming back. The dealer and Ford customer service say this time it's going to be at my expense. Clearly others are having similar issues. WTH?!
Ford rebuilt my rear end twice. Still had bad noise, but after the 1st time they made me put the whole suspension back to stock, not believing me when I told them it had noise since the day I picked it up with 7 miles on it. I had an aftermarket shop rebuild it again the 3rd time and it stayed quiet longer, but the noise has returned. After the first rebuild I suspected the axle housing itself but my pos Ford dealer didn't even want to consider it or replace the housing. I have 33,200 miles on my car and the rear end sounds like a GD racecar. It drowns out my stereo. I'll see if I can source a new housing and transfer everything over (Wilwoods, BMR everything and have it rebuilt internally again just because).
Old 5/29/18, 09:44 AM

what was the diagnosis. i also have a 14 mustang with a whirring or metal rubbing so

mine is not that loud but out makes a ringing scratchy sound like rough brake rotors...except its not the brakes as it didn't change sound aft all with brakes on our off. load or coasting doesn't matter either. when i reach 30 mph to 40 i hear that noise. i put on stands and removed tires. let it idle in 6th and it is easily noticeable .
Old 5/29/18, 10:05 AM

here is my sound

https://youtu.be/V2TdXrNhRg4
listen here. it is exagerated in the video. usually not this loud.
Old 5/29/18, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Renesis05
I too had a differential noise on my '12 Boss 302 that could best be described as a whirring / scraping noise. After a lot of dealership and Ford Customer Service issues I found a dealership that would fix it. They ended up replacing both axles and all bearings (axle, differential, and pinion). The noise was dramatically reduced but still there.

I had a friend with a '13 GT that had a differential noise and they replaced the entire axle assembly. The root cause was determined to be an out-of-spec differential housing. Apparently the bores for the pinion bearing weren't machined "true".

I've got a feeling that my issue will come back because the root cause wasn't addressed.
Interesting...I wonder if that (an out-of-spec bearing locations in my diff. housing) is why my pinion seal has gone bad in my 2013 mustang... A friend of mine has a 2014 and he already took it to the Ford shop once (his pinion seal failed on him too). They replaced the the gears, fluid, etc., but now he tells me there is a heck of a noise coming from the rear end as he goes down the road.