Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2007 GT Manual Transmission Whine

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/14, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GT Manual Transmission Whine

I have a 2007 GT convertible with a 5 spd manual transmission. This car only has 56,000 miles on it. It has a Ford cold air kit, MOROSO oil separator and a Hurst billet shifter. At 37,000 miles I had the Dealership perform the clashing gear TSB repair under warranty. It shifted a little better but was never really smooth. It also had the normal (?) clunks and clanks when being operated like many on this forum have mentioned. After the rebuild, I remember a faint whirring sound when you shifted from 1st gear to 2nd. Several months ago I noticed a louder whirring sound when the transmission was in neutral and the clutch was out. This noise got louder as the engine revved. It would go away when you pushed the clutch in. I also noticed that if I was coasting slow enough with the clutch pushed in and slipped the transmission into 1st gear, it really whined loud. It wasn't quite as loud when I coasted and put the trans into 2nd. I suspect that it whines when in 1st anyway, but the exhaust sound drowns out most other sounds. I went to my Dealership and they charged me $70 to tell me it may be the input shaft bearings. The bearings would cost $1,700 to replace but it could be more as they weren't totally sure what was wrong. I was told by the Service Manager that if it was due to something they did earlier, they would cover it. I tried arguing that even though it was out of warranty, buyers should expect more than 56,000 miles from a transmission. (I don't drag race or otherwise abuse this vehicle.) My arguments fell on deaf ears. I also later replaced the trans fluid. The Dealer used a full synthetic Mercon SP with a friction modifier after the TSB. The old fluid was dark with clouds of black particles floating around when you stirred it. I added new Mercon V per the Ford chart but it didn't seem to help. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening in this trans. I could replace the trans myself with a rebuilt unit (that someone previously blew-up) for much less $$$ or give the dealership a blank check and let them tear into it. (I wonder what the chance would be that they would admitted fault?) I am really quite peeved that I have to consider doing either with such a low mileage car. I wonder if I could fill the trans with saw dust and trade it in for a new Camaro convertible (haha). Thanks for your help.
Old 8/13/14, 03:38 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Edduner
Several months ago I noticed a louder whirring sound when the transmission was in neutral and the clutch was out. This noise got louder as the engine revved. It would go away when you pushed the clutch in. .
Did they replace the throw out bearing? By your descrip I would guess throw out bearing, or pilot bearing (into the flywheel), or third, input shaft bearings.
Old 8/14/14, 12:48 PM

Hey Charliehorse - No, I haven't replaced the throw out bearing. The trans is still in the car until I figure out what to do. Bad throw out bearings usually screech when they are pushed in. This one is quite when pushed in with the trans in neutral, whines in neutral when its out. The trans is noisy when the clutch is pushed in and coasting down a hill in 1st (loudest) or 2nd (not as loud) gear. I guess when there is pressure on the trow-out bearing it gets quite (?). This doesn't seem logical but could be happening. It still seems like there is something internal to the trans thats gone bad. I read on this or another forum that full synthetic trans fluid will deteriorate the carbon synchro components. This trans had a full synthetic and a differential friction booster added by the Dealer after the clashing gear TSB repair. I wonder if this could have caused the problem. I wonder if Ford would admit it shouldn't have been used. Anyone have any experience with the effect of different fluids on trans components?
Old 8/14/14, 07:31 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
this might sound real stupid but...

when I pulled my clutch, one of the alignment dowels came out of the block(rusted into the tranny case) and pulled a burr on the back face of the block as the tranny was tilted down... I stoned the face flat, knocked the pin out, and back into the block, went back together fine.
I'd seriously try retorqing at least the two easy to reach lower bellhousing bolts, if ones loose, posible the same thing happened, they just put it back together without stoning the face to be sure it was flat...if they tightened it up on a burr and it worked loose, thats a bad thing...might get a feeler gage between the block/bellhousing with someone pushing the clutch- actually, bet with just someone pushing the clutch, you would see the case/block move if it worked loose- theres probably 3~500 puonds of force on the throwout when the clutch is stepped on, trying to separate the two...
I did exactly this on a old elcamino i had in highschool, the tranny worked loose, moved back 1/8" after a few months and started making noise/cracked the flexplate around the crankshaft bolts- luckily didnt bust out the bellhousing and dump the whole thing on the road... i was just a dumb young kid (now a old dumb kid) but im surely not the only one ever to do this...easy to check. if ones loose, take it back- they should be responsible for fixing it, and any damage.
unlikely, yes, but it could happen and if it did could cause your description...binding the input shaft bearings on the pilot bearing due to case misalignment would tear up a bunch of stuff. other possibility, if the pin stuck in the bellhousing and went unnoticed, at reassembly the square end probably wouldnt go in, and putting it together mighta pushed the pin right thru the bellhousing hole- leaving only one pin alignment... if that happened, everything would be tight, so pushing the clutch i wouldnt think would quiet it...
like I said, might sound stupid but...
Old 8/14/14, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Edduner
.... a faint whirring sound when you shifted from 1st gear to 2nd. Several months ago I noticed a louder whirring sound when the transmission was in neutral and the clutch was out. This noise got louder as the engine revved. It would go away when you pushed the clutch in. I also noticed that if I was coasting slow enough with the clutch pushed in and slipped the transmission into 1st gear, it really whined loud. It wasn't quite as loud when I coasted and put the trans into 2nd. I suspect that it whines when in 1st anyway, but the exhaust sound drowns out most other sounds. I went to my Dealership and they charged me $70 to tell me it may be the input shaft bearings. The bearings would cost $1,700 to replace but it could be more as they weren't totally sure what was wrong. .....
The whine you describe and when you hear it .... sounds like it's related to input shaft speed, likely the bearing itself .... and does not sound like a synchronizer issue to me.

Last edited by tbear853; 7/8/21 at 09:05 PM.
Old 8/23/14, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If you have a record of the dealer using the wrong fluid with the rebuild I think I would be using that as an asset.
Old 12/5/17, 10:14 AM

I know that this post is quite old, but I was curious if a solution was ever found. My car, which is also a 2007 Mustang GT with 114,000 miles on it, just started having the exact same sound when the clutch pedal is up and the car is in gear. It stops as soon as the clutch pedal is down all the way. I've had it in the shop for the last 2 1/2 weeks, and the mechanic tore the transmission apart twice, and only found an issue with the 5th gear synchronizer having 8 broken teeth, so it was replaced. The entire clutch was replaced and the two main bearings, the cluster bearings, and the input shaft bearings. After putting the car back together, the sound is still there, though the transmission is no longer slipping. Thanks for your time!
Old 5/4/21, 01:18 AM

[QUOTE=sthoovy;7022874]I know that this post is quite old, but I was curious if a solution was ever found. My car, which is also a 2007 Mustang GT with 114,000 miles on it, just started having the exact same sound when the clutch pedal is up and the car is in gear. It stops as soon as the clutch pedal is down all the way. I've had it in the shop for the last 2 1/2 weeks, and the mechanic tore the transmission apart twice, and only found an issue with the 5th gear synchronizer having 8 broken teeth, so it was replaced. The entire clutch was replaced and the two main bearings, the cluster bearings, and the input shaft bearings. After putting the car back together, the sound is still there, though the transmission is no longer slipping. Thanks for your time![QUOTE]
Did you find the answer?
Old 5/4/21, 07:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Ok, hold up. Four years? On THIS day of days? That's... COMPLETELY AWESOME.

I don't have the answer, but on this auspicious day, I would like to wish you welcome to the forums! And May the Fourth be with you!

/Also, sthoovy hasn't been seen since this one post, so I sort of have the feeling he/she isn't hanging out here.
Old 7/8/21, 07:30 PM

Solution was Found!

[QUOTE=Roman Rogożyn;7061211][QUOTE=sthoovy;7022874]I know that this post is quite old, but I was curious if a solution was ever found. My car, which is also a 2007 Mustang GT with 114,000 miles on it, just started having the exact same sound when the clutch pedal is up and the car is in gear. It stops as soon as the clutch pedal is down all the way. I've had it in the shop for the last 2 1/2 weeks, and the mechanic tore the transmission apart twice, and only found an issue with the 5th gear synchronizer having 8 broken teeth, so it was replaced. The entire clutch was replaced and the two main bearings, the cluster bearings, and the input shaft bearings. After putting the car back together, the sound is still there, though the transmission is no longer slipping. Thanks for your time!
Did you find the answer?
I know it's been a while and I thought about this post recently!
We had ours repaired by an excellent mechanic and he knew immediately what it was. -The driveshaft bearing needed to be replaced, which I ended up causing after went to an event and parked on a hill in the mud and couldn't get it out. Anyways he fixed it and the sound was gone!

Thanks for all the comments after!
Old 7/9/21, 09:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Well, howdy howdy, sthoovy! Good of you to drop by and say what happened! See ya in another four years?