2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHAT I THINK IS MISSING

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/04, 12:08 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep thinking about all the aftermarket versions shown to date (Steeda, MRT, etc.) and all those to be formally introduced at SEMA, and up until this point have thought this is what the new Mustang is all about. Now I have changed my mind. All of the extended front facias, redesigned rear facias and tacked on scoops to shown to date detract from the sleekness and agressiveness of the basic design. All this car needs and screams for is a tasteful and agressive blackout and tape stripe treatment. THERE IS CURRENTLY JUST TOO MUCH OF ONE COLOR WITH THE GT FOR ANY COLOR. Would the 1969 and 1970 Boss 302, and the 1971 Boss 351 and the 1971 Mach 1 with the optional tape stripe treatment been memorable cars without any blackout or tape stripe treatment. My suggestions for the new stang are as follows:

(1) A blackout treatment between the tail lights. (This one's a no brainer)

(2) Two large rectangular appliques on the raised portion of the hood. The corners of each should be rounded and each should be surrounded by a 1/4 inch wide stripe.

(3) The side of the vehicle is most important. First, the lower rocker panel molding should be blacked out (like on the V-6 car) plus the lower portion of the front and rear facias which continue the character line of the rocker panel molding should be blacked out. Something similar to what was done on the 1971 Boss 351 and Mach 1.

(4) Finally, a tasteful, agressive looking tape stripe should be added the length of the car at the pinched or creased area (area corresponding to height of the door handle). Something similar to the stripe on the 1971 Boss 351 and Mach 1 might be appropriate where the stripe was interupted at the wheel wheel fender bulges.

The key here is that someone needs to be creative and create a blackout and tape stripe treatment which is innovative and unique, but also adds contrast and aggressiveness. The bean counters at Ford could not justify such cost on the production line, but let Ford's design team create some magic and make it an after market item.
Old 10/26/04, 12:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A brushed stainless panel would look good too between the taillights
Old 10/26/04, 12:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Gizmo, Sounds like you are Hooked On Vinyl! LOL
I agree there should be some sort of Tape Stripe available for the GT.and I like the Idea of Blacking out the lower Ground Effects on the GT too. Someone will do it I'm sure. Maybe it will come with the redesign, like my 71-73 update. I know it's not the best P/S but It Gets the Idea Across.
Old 10/26/04, 01:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the "chop" TampaBear67.

WOW, this is what we need. The basic design does not need new facias, airdams, hoodscoops, and ground effects packages.