2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Went over to the dark side..............

Search this Thread

Old 12/25/07, 10:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Shelby is a limited car the standard Vette is not. The reason they give such a huge discout is their base vette is their sitting on the lot eatting hay!! I have been in the car sales for a while and they only discout cars that are slow movers or their trying to get rid of inventory. Corp. America sell thing for the most they can get not the least. If you took a base g/t did all the suspension mods, s/c it you may even bet the base Vette for less money, and still eat at the 5 star resturant in town? I may **** someone off but this is a Mustang site. Were I give a Vette it's due just not here!!! Has anyone that ownes a gt500 had any runs with a c/6 Vette please chime in!
Old 12/25/07, 10:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by boss429man
The Shelby is a limited car the standard Vette is not. The reason they give such a huge discout is their base vette is their sitting on the lot eatting hay!! I have been in the car sales for a while and they only discout cars that are slow movers or their trying to get rid of inventory. Corp. America sell thing for the most they can get not the least. If you took a base g/t did all the suspension mods, s/c it you may even bet the base Vette for less money, and still eat at the 5 star resturant in town? I may **** someone off but this is a Mustang site. Were I give a Vette it's due just not here!!! Has anyone that ownes a gt500 had any runs with a c/6 Vette please chime in!
Guys like you will never understand......
Old 12/25/07, 10:37 AM
GT Member

the guy is excited about it, thats cool, at least its a american car, and its nice, we should be excited for him, I would buy one too, if I didnt have grandkids to haul around, even tho I am a ford guy, they are a great ride,

Old 12/25/07, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The Shelby GT500 is going to be offered for several model years and only carries the Shelby name. It's through and through a Ford/SVT production car.

The F-body was discontinued due to poor sales, mainly because the cars weren't very well built. They had great engines but the Mustang had better build quality and more appeal. When the new Camaro and Challenger hit the streets, they will carry higher price tags than the Mustang GT. I predict the Challenger SRT-8 may very well be on-par with the C6 in terms of price.
Old 12/25/07, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

The GT500 is not a limited car, they are making too many for it to be considered "limited". My Vette was special ordered and not sitting on some one's lot, even so I still got supplier pricing on it. You can also find killer deals on regular GT's and even some of the special editions like the Cali Special and Shelby GT's. Why, because the American auto maker is hurting for sales. Like I said in the beginning, the GT500 is an awesome car. The point of my thread was not to degrade it in any way shape or form. Just to point out the the ADM's made me take a second look at what else was available for similar money. I bought the Vette because with the discounts it's a much better performance value.

As far as which one is faster, who cares!!! I'm too old to play the "may car is faster than yours" game. Either car is going to give you more performance than you can use on the street without being locked up and thrown in the slammer.
Old 12/25/07, 11:02 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Yes this is a Mustang forum, but I give credit where it's due. Chevy's C6 Vette is an amazing machine and Ford has no car in their line-up that even comes close. The Vette blows the GT500 away in every measurable performance category. Sorry, but Ford needs to try again. Maybe if we had a performance guru at the helm like John Coletti, things would have been different.
Naw, as long as Mustang is saddled with its affordable sporty car mandate, it will never equal the vette, ditch the V6 and GT models, lose the rear seat, and employ better more expensive materials to keep weight down and performance up and price accordingly and you'll have a vette contender, of course this really wouldn't be a Mustang anymore except in name only and I doubt it would make the sort of impact in the Corvette/Viper/Porsche/GT-R world that would justify its continued exsistance.

It would be better if Ford seriously considered making a proper sportscar, but like I've mentioned previously thats pretty much locked up by Corvette/Viper/Porsche/GT-R and at this point in the game, Ford has burned whatever fat it could have used to develop a market loser and justify its exsistance merely to compete.

Ford had a chance with Thunderbird back in the 50's, they screwed it up then and screwed up in the new millenium (thinking there was a market for the sort of 2 seat luxury cars that failed so miserably when introduced)

Personally I'd like to see a modern day Cobra or something in the vein of an affordable GT40 (nobody really does an affordable mid-engine car that you could live with on a daily basis - Lotus makes an affordable one, but its not really a daily driver in the typical sense) rather than the Mustang name slapped on a sports car
Old 12/25/07, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Naw, as long as Mustang is saddled with its affordable sporty car mandate, it will never equal the vette, ditch the V6 and GT models, lose the rear seat, and employ better more expensive materials to keep weight down and performance up and price accordingly and you'll have a vette contender, of course this really wouldn't be a Mustang anymore except in name only and I doubt it would make the sort of impact in the Corvette/Viper/Porsche/GT-R world that would justify its continued exsistance.

It would be better if Ford seriously considered making a proper sportscar, but like I've mentioned previously thats pretty much locked up by Corvette/Viper/Porsche/GT-R and at this point in the game, Ford has burned whatever fat it could have used to develop a market loser and justify its exsistance merely to compete.

Ford had a chance with Thunderbird back in the 50's, they screwed it up then and screwed up in the new millenium (thinking there was a market for the sort of 2 seat luxury cars that failed so miserably when introduced)

Personally I'd like to see a modern day Cobra or something in the vein of an affordable GT40 (nobody really does an affordable mid-engine car that you could live with on a daily basis - Lotus makes an affordable one, but its not really a daily driver in the typical sense) rather than the Mustang name slapped on a sports car
I think the reason Ford hasn't buit a two seat sports car is because they don't see the market for it.
Old 12/25/07, 11:10 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by StangFreak
The point of my thread was not to degrade it in any way shape or form. Just to point out the the ADM's made me take a second look at what else was available for similar money. I bought the Vette because with the discounts it's a much better performance value.
Y'know, I'm tempeted to say ADMs are inpsired by the sort of get rich schemes that destroyed the D3 (make your money fast, its the short term that only matters), or if its the boat load of fools that so readily depart with thier money (I suspect people who preach at the alter of the quick buck and are willing to pay ADMs are one in the same), but its a freemarket and dealers are free to choose to charge whatever the market will bear even if it inevitably leads to an unsustainable product line.
Old 12/25/07, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Y'know, I'm tempeted to say ADMs are inpsired by the sort of get rich schemes that destroyed the D3 (make your money fast, its the short term that only matters), or if its the boat load of fools that so readily depart with thier money (I suspect people who preach at the alter of the quick buck and are willing to pay ADMs are one in the same), but its a freemarket and dealers are free to choose to charge whatever the market will bear even if it inevitably leads to an unsustainable product line.

I don't blame the dealers for charging the ADM's, hell who would you sell your car to, the guy who only wants to pay you 40k or the one who will pay 55k??? I know who I'd be selling it to. It's really up to the buyer, he can either pay the ADM because he has to have the first one on the block or he can tell the dealer to go pound sand and keep shopping.
Old 12/25/07, 11:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

I to can get that discout and anyone who works for me,I'am not bashing your car for you I think it's great. If the Shelby wasn't limited you could go order one anywere for a good price.I have owned a lot of Vettes and work on many more and the ouality per dollar issue is still a big question? The high tec stuff is just a better mouse trap. They try it first on high line cars and if it works out it becomes an option on the rest. I'am glade were getting compared to a corvette in years past they weren't mention in the same sentence. I'am a Mustang guy maybe too loyale,but I know I'am doing it in the right spot. Good luck with your Vette. Besides if it wasn't for this thread what else would you do today!!
Old 12/25/07, 12:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by bob

Bob I agree. I know I will probably get flamed for this, but if Ford setout to build a Vette competitor right now they couldn't do it. Ford doesn't invest money in the right types of motorsports where modern technology trickles down to production sports cars. Chevy does this and it's why the C6 Z06 is that good.

If Ford setout to build a car comparable to the Vette, it would probably cost a lot more. Hell, look at what the Ford GT cost!
Old 12/25/07, 01:37 PM
GT Member

[quote=bob;1073348]
the only reason the retro bird failed is because of lack of advertisement, and the mark up by the dealers, 20,000 mark up killed it for alot of people, I had one, and its a great car for the actual price, great ride and a comfortable driver on road trips, and its a great looking car, I got more raves from people than I do the stang !!!

!!!
Old 12/25/07, 03:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

I agree that adm are a bad way to due business it leave a bad feeling before and after the sale!! That the dealer in most cases their all doing it . They did on the Vette when it came out certain on the Camaro and Challenger. They did on the p/t cruiser. Its not something that bring people back. Short term fix to a long term problem?
Old 12/25/07, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

GM basically invests the BULK of their resources into the powertrain first. That is why there are so many powerful variants of the Chevy 350, and now variants of the Chevy 429 OHV engines. Ford's modular program was a SNAFU from the get-go and the redeeming factor for the modular engine was the 3V 4.6/5.4, IMHO. The VVT boosted fuel economy and low end torque while getting rid of EGR. All of the fast factory Fords have blowers:
03-04 Terminator Cobra
07-up GT500
04-05 Ford GT

Hopefully Ford's BOSS program turns things around.
Old 12/25/07, 04:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=HAMRS_gt;1073419]
Originally Posted by bob
the only reason the retro bird failed is because of lack of advertisement, and the mark up by the dealers, 20,000 mark up killed it for alot of people, I had one, and its a great car for the actual price, great ride and a comfortable driver on road trips, and its a great looking car, I got more raves from people than I do the stang !!!

!!!
I realize they weren't necessarily targeting the high HP market, but, I think a little more go would have helped that car sell better. The ADMs did kill it in the end. I used that argument with several dealers while trying to strike my GT500 MSRP deal. "Remember the T-bird?" I had one owner on board with me until his sales manager talked him out of selling it to me.
Old 12/25/07, 04:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

I agree that adm are a bad way to due business it leave a bad feeling before and after the sale!! That the dealer in most cases their all doing it . They did on the Vette when it came out certain on the Camaro and Challenger. They did on the p/t cruiser. Its not something that bring people back. Short term fix to a long term problem?
Bad way of business alright. I cut my ties with both local Ford dealers and was unable to establish with all but one in my area over ADMs. I think that one would have sold me one at MSRP, but, I was too late. They had already sold theirs. So I went 2 hours away and will buy my future Fords from the 2 hour away dealer. They sold all of theirs at MSRP and deserve my (and anyone I can refer's) business.
Old 12/25/07, 05:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

BTW, I just got back from a quick drive in mine. No offense to Stangfreak, but, no thanks on the Vette. The thrill I got from that short ride could not be replaced by a Vette. I am sure it could be to others, but, not me. I love that Mustang. I have a buddy with a new Z06. He drools over mine every chance he gets. He tells me he wishes he would have waited on a GT500.
Old 12/25/07, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
BTW, I just got back from a quick drive in mine. No offense to Stangfreak, but, no thanks on the Vette. The thrill I got from that short ride could not be replaced by a Vette. I am sure it could be to others, but, not me. I love that Mustang. I have a buddy with a new Z06. He drools over mine every chance he gets. He tells me he wishes he would have waited on a GT500.

No offense taken.

That's what it's all about, the thrill and excitement from the drive. You get the thrill from your GT500 and I get mine from my Vette. Life is good!!!
Old 12/25/07, 06:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by StangFreak
No offense taken.

That's what it's all about, the thrill and excitement from the drive. You get the thrill from your GT500 and I get mine from my Vette. Life is good!!!

Seriously, enjoy your car. They are really nice. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'm just standing up for my car on a Mustang site.
Old 12/26/07, 05:32 AM
GT Member

Congrats on the Vette, there great cars. I grew up around them and they are one of my favorite.

Its great to see all of the positive comments posted for another brand on this forum. It realy says alot for the people on this forum and shows they are true car enthusiasts. On another forum I belong to any mention of another brand or competitor and you are instantly flamed.

Rob

Quick Reply: Went over to the dark side..............