2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Went over to the dark side..............

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/07, 06:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The GT500s are no longer anywhere near 25K. They haven't been that for over a year. Most are MSRP to 5 over. Most will tell you they are asking 20 over, but, that is just to get someone to think they are getting a deal at 5 over.

Many people who held out for MSRP are getting rewarded now with MSRP deals. The Mustang GTs were getting ADMS when they were new. As most of you may recall, I hate ADMs. I fought them on here for years while waiting to get mine.

My patience and perserverence paid off. A couple of the other original/early members have gotten theirs as well. Crispy23, 1FAF and serveral of the people in the 2008 section of stangsunleashed got theirs as MSRP.

If you guys are serious about getting one at MSRP, It can be done now and will only get better as Winter drags on and as the 2009 get announced (opinion, not fact on the 2009).
Old 12/24/07, 11:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
The GT500s are no longer anywhere near 25K. They haven't been that for over a year. Most are MSRP to 5 over. Most will tell you they are asking 20 over, but, that is just to get someone to think they are getting a deal at 5 over.

Many people who held out for MSRP are getting rewarded now with MSRP deals. The Mustang GTs were getting ADMS when they were new. As most of you may recall, I hate ADMs. I fought them on here for years while waiting to get mine.

My patience and perserverence paid off. A couple of the other original/early members have gotten theirs as well. Crispy23, 1FAF and serveral of the people in the 2008 section of stangsunleashed got theirs as MSRP.

If you guys are serious about getting one at MSRP, It can be done now and will only get better as Winter drags on and as the 2009 get announced (opinion, not fact on the 2009).
Come to Denver...Mike Naughton Ford is proud to post a "25k Denver Mark-up Price" right on the window sticker...***tards.I'm sure glad you got a good deal.
Old 12/24/07, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dustindu4, does that look like a "sedan" to you on the right?
Attached Thumbnails Went over to the dark side..............-vette-stang-dec-06-b.jpg  
Old 12/24/07, 01:05 PM

I picked my 08 GT 500 up Friday. MSRP.
Old 12/24/07, 01:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Another interesting thing is that GT owners can buy their own parts to make 99% GT500 clones, or Bullitt clones, or Shelby GT clones. The S197 platform is rather modular and good for the aftermarket/parts market.

On the other hand, good luck trying to retrofit magnetic ride suspension, dynamic stability control, ABS with EBD, a head-up display, organic LED/bioluminescent instrument gauges and the custom Delphi projector HID headlamps onto a Mustang (which are all available on a C6).

Heck, no one seems to have found a way to retrofit the OEM reflector 08 HIDs onto the pre-08 Mustangs yet.
Old 12/24/07, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Heck, no one seems to have found a way to retrofit the OEM reflector 08 HIDs onto the pre-08 Mustangs yet.
I installed the 4100K Sylvania Ultra Whites last night, and they look and function 50% better the the OEM halogens...for $100 including the foglights, and 10 minutes of install. Next to a Black Saleen with the HID's last night, the difference was insignificant.
Old 12/24/07, 02:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Interesting. What bulbs did you get?
Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H13/9008? What about the foglights? I do not recall Sylvania making Ultras for the 9145/H10. Did you get the regular Sylvania SilverStar 9145?

The D3R OEM HID capsules produce 2800 lumens or about 222 MSCD. The halogens are rated at approx. 80 MSCD or approx 1000 lumens, about 3 times less light output than HIDs.
Old 12/24/07, 02:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Another interesting thing is that GT owners can buy their own parts to make 99% GT500 clones, or Bullitt clones, or Shelby GT clones. The S197 platform is rather modular and good for the aftermarket/parts market.

On the other hand, good luck trying to retrofit magnetic ride suspension, dynamic stability control, ABS with EBD, a head-up display, organic LED/bioluminescent instrument gauges and the custom Delphi projector HID headlamps onto a Mustang (which are all available on a C6).

That is one of the things that makes the Mustang so special. You can do just about anything you want to it. The wide open aftermarket allows you to make it your own.

The high tech things you list there are not on most Mustang drivers list of desired options/upgrades anyway. If I want to add anything to my car, it would likely be a CAI. pulley and exhaust. Not bioluminescent (does that mean they get it from bugs or plants or something? Lightning bugs bioluminesce) gauges.
Old 12/24/07, 02:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Our Mustangs have LED illuminated gauges (finally!! Ford has used crappy incandescent bulbs for eons...) while the C6 vette gets OLED illuminated gauges. These are organic LEDs and I've seen it described as bioluminescent gauges in some literature. They use less power and last longer while they can be made in all kinds of shapes, sizes, and colors and with an Active Matrix OLED display (AMOLED) you can make custom graphics for your instrument gauges. It's not totally desirable by itself, but I'd love to see DSC, magnetic ride suspension, and a functional HUD in my GT.
Old 12/24/07, 02:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Poco
Come to Denver...Mike Naughton Ford is proud to post a "25k Denver Mark-up Price" right on the window sticker...***tards.I'm sure glad you got a good deal.
Check and follow this thread. As I am typing this, only one owner has paid over for his.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...06#post1072906
Old 12/24/07, 03:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Are we on a Mustang forum?

I can't believe this many people are calling the Vette a better car. Have any of you driven both? I have. The Mustang stirs MY soul much more than the Vette. They may be very close in performance numbers, but, they are not even close in owner satisfaction.

I'm disappointed.
Yes this is a Mustang forum, but I give credit where it's due. Chevy's C6 Vette is an amazing machine and Ford has no car in their line-up that even comes close. The Vette blows the GT500 away in every measurable performance category. Sorry, but Ford needs to try again. Maybe if we had a performance guru at the helm like John Coletti, things would have been different.
Old 12/24/07, 03:42 PM
GT Member

Are we on a Mustang forum?

I can't believe this many people are calling the Vette a better car. Have any of you driven both? I have. The Mustang stirs MY soul much more than the Vette. They may be very close in performance numbers, but, they are not even close in owner satisfaction.

I'm disappointed.

The Vette IS a better car, that's why there's not much disagreement. Just because some folks have more fun driving the Mustang, in any trim, doesn't make it better in terms of quality, performance, and handling.
Old 12/24/07, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Be proud of what you bought. I would. It just surprised me to see so many people supporting it over the GT500.

The fact that you are keeping the Mustang proves that you are truly a Stang Freak.

I'd be interested to know which car stirs up the most passion. Please let us know.

Merry Christmas.

Right now the car I am driving the most is the Vette but that's because it's new. Both cars have their own unique characteristics which make them fun to drive. The Mustang has more of a raw edge to it vs the Vette but this is not a bad thing in my book. The Vette is more refined but still delivers incredible levels of performance. Both are on equal terms as far as the fun factor and not one stands out as a favorite as of now.
Old 12/24/07, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Yes this is a Mustang forum, but I give credit where it's due. Chevy's C6 Vette is an amazing machine and Ford has no car in their line-up that even comes close. The Vette blows the GT500 away in every measurable performance category. Sorry, but Ford needs to try again. Maybe if we had a performance guru at the helm like John Coletti, things would have been different.
The Mustang never has and never will be comparable to the Corvette. It wasn't designed for it. The Mustang has always been about affordable fun and performance for the masses. Throw in the large aftermarket support the car has always enjoyed and the options for personalization are endless. This is what the Mustang is all about and why I have enjoyed owning so many different versions of it through the years.
Old 12/24/07, 08:25 PM
GT Member

We could go round and round on this....
The corvette is a better sports car.....agreed?
The Mustang is a better (insert your opinion).....agreed?

I would have a vette if I didn't have 3 kids....better yet, I would have a 911....
I keep telling the wife that and she's not impressed.
Congrats on the car...
Old 12/24/07, 09:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

IMO as of this time the reason people compare the Vette and Musrang or Shelby is G/M doesnot offer anything other than a vette? It's like comparing apples and oranges their not the same.Back in the 70s when the Chevy and Ford guy mixed it up it was Mustang, Camaro, Torino ,Chevelle the Corvette was their but so was the Pantera!!!I have owned theme both and never had a problem letting a Vette go.IMO if I bought a Vette and wanted a Shelby every time I saw a Shelby I would still want the Shelby. Since were talking ADM for the top Vette their still trying to get 10thousand over msrp in FL.You can get a G/T Mustang anyplace below msrp just like you can buy a non Z06 Vette below msrp any place! It seams to me Ford and G/M are trying to get their cars to a wide range of buyers. Since you have them both enjoy them I know I would!
Old 12/25/07, 05:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

We can legitimately compare the GT500 to the C6 because of their price. We are NOT comparing the Mustang V6 or GT to the C6! Blame Ford for pricing the GT500 in the $40k+ range, same as the base C6.

The Corvette ZR1 is $100k+, so you will find comparisons with Porsches, Ford GTs, and other $100k+ cars.
Old 12/25/07, 06:31 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
We can legitimately compare the GT500 to the C6 because of their price...
You have a point there. It is not uncommon for price and similar performance to be the main ingridients for comparissons.
Once the Challenger and Camaro join the Mustang we'll have better models to compare to.
Old 12/25/07, 09:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

If your talking price you have a point, but the car are still appels and oranges unless Ford starts building a 2 seat sports car , are you listing MR. Shelby, or when the Camaro comes out this is going nowhere! Part of the reason IMO they stop selling the Camaro is the price were so close to the Vette they were stealing sales from the Vette? By the way Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Old 12/25/07, 09:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

We can legitimately compare the GT500 to the C6 because of their price. We are NOT comparing the Mustang V6 or GT to the C6! Blame Ford for pricing the GT500 in the $40k+ range, same as the base C6.
Exactly. The price of the GT500 and base C6 is nearly indentical. Both cars are RWD and both are really 2 seaters. Yes I know the Mustang has rear seats, but they are only there for children.

Quick Reply: Went over to the dark side..............