2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Went over to the dark side..............

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/07, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The C6 Vette is a much better car than the GT500 IMHO. I have a Mustang GT because it is more affordable and practical than a C6. I am looking forward to the C7 Vette and may get one in the future.

The high-end C6 package includes:
Head-up Display
IRS
Xenon HIDs
6-speed manual
400+ hp
Dynamic stability control
ABS w/ EBD

What's not to like??
Old 12/23/07, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steevr
Congrats!!!

Cool wheels.....are they part of the Z51 pkg??

Take it from experience, yes, a Vette & Pony can happily coexist in the same garage. Rather it's the wife and me (for the fact that her car is outside all winter) that have the problem coexisting now that I have taken both spots in the garage.

The wheels are a $395 option, comp grey split spokes. They really make the car, I've gotten so many compliments on them.
Old 12/23/07, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Poco
Thats just smart money spent.Vettes are sweet rides and the new style is excellentI can tell your heart belongs to American muscle

I'm curious..does that Vette come with the dry sump oil system?

The dry sump oil system is only on the Z06, my car is a standard C6 with the Z51 performance package.
Old 12/23/07, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
The C6 Vette is a much better car than the GT500 IMHO. I have a Mustang GT because it is more affordable and practical than a C6. I am looking forward to the C7 Vette and may get one in the future.

Head-up Display
IRS
Xenon HIDs
6-speed manual
400+ hp
ABS w/ EBD

What's not to like??

Both cars are awesome machines. Two very different types of cars IMO. Ones a muscle car best suited for drag racing and the other is a sports car more suited for a road course. I bought the Vette because of the price and I'm more into handling then drag racing. You can't go wrong with either car.
Old 12/23/07, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by StangFreak
Thanks!!!

With the optional exhaust it's rated at 436hp but most cars dyno at the 390 rwhp range.
Woa! That's like 458 fwhp @0.85!

Originally Posted by 2006stang
For the money I have always liked the Vette better than the GT500. Congrats
Mee too...just couldn't afford the $45-50k a year ago.

The C6 Vette is a much better car than the GT500 IMHO. I have a Mustang GT because it is more affordable and practical than a C6.
In fact, not sure about ¼mile, but certainly to 60 mph, the std manual tranny C6 Vette is quicker than the GT500 because of better weight, better weight distribution, and a larger contact patch on the rear tires.
I love the C6 look with the flush headlights (std HID's too).

CONGRATS!!!

There's a used Z06 in my future.
Old 12/23/07, 11:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow those wheels really do make the car!
Old 12/23/07, 12:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet car! Congratulations
Old 12/23/07, 02:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Both cars are awesome machines. Two very different types of cars IMO. Ones a muscle car best suited for drag racing and the other is a sports car more suited for a road course. I bought the Vette because of the price and I'm more into handling then drag racing. You can't go wrong with either car.
The GT500 is not even in the same playing field as a base C6. The GT500 is a sports car based on old school technology (throw in a blower and it runs great in a straight line), with live-axle rear suspension and typical Ford nickel and diming at work.

The C6 Vette is one of the America's BEST sports cars and even the Europeans admit to this.

The C6 should outrun a stock GT500 in the 1/4 mile and especially on a road course. The weight to power ratios are approximately the same, but the C6 has a better suspension to transfer that power to the ground. You made a great choice with your purchase, but I just wanted to remind you that the GT500 is a decent car at MSRP, but the C6 blows it away in every category fully loaded at $50k MSRP.

The day we would see a factory head-up display in a Ford is the day pigs fly!! I'm surprised Ford actually installed a cabin air filter in my Mustang let alone LEDs for lighting the instrument panel.

I forgot to mention: The C6 also has available magnetic ride suspension which uses iron filings in the shock dampener which form together when an electromagnetic solenoid activates the filings. This allows the suspension controller to firm and soften up the ride as needed. European cars generally have this suspension system and the SPORT modes ("M" button on BMW M3s, Sport mode in Lambos, Audis, etc...) usually just default to a firmer ride. Good luck getting this option on a GT500. The C6 Vette is a better car, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, IMHO as a Ford enthusiast.
Old 12/23/07, 08:10 PM

Head-up Display
IRS
Xenon HIDs
6-speed manual
400+ hp
ABS w/ EBD

What's not to like??
For what it's worth, everything in your list except the headsup display is standard on the base (1LT) C6. Those are available for ~$42k. One heck of a deal.
Old 12/23/07, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by acmike
For what it's worth, everything in your list except the headsup display is standard on the base (1LT) C6. Those are available for ~$42k. One heck of a deal.

Exactly!!! Only reason mine was 45k was because of the Z51 package, wheels and glass top.
Old 12/23/07, 08:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Are we on a Mustang forum?

I can't believe this many people are calling the Vette a better car. Have any of you driven both? I have. The Mustang stirs MY soul much more than the Vette. They may be very close in performance numbers, but, they are not even close in owner satisfaction.

I'm disappointed.
Old 12/23/07, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Are we on a Mustang forum?

I can't believe this many people are calling the Vette a better car. Have any of you driven both? I have. The Mustang stirs MY soul much more than the Vette. They may be very close in performance numbers, but, they are not even close in owner satisfaction.

I'm disappointed.

Why be disappointed just because people like more than one car make??? Both cars are awesome machines and I feel fortunate and very blessed to own both.
Old 12/23/07, 09:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Why be disappointed just because people like more than one car make??? Both cars are awesome machines and I feel fortunate and very blessed to own both.
I'm not disappointed in that. If you read my earlier post, I think the C6 is a great car and I shopped them myself. I was just disappointed that so many people were calling it better on a mustang forum. You'd think more people would be defending Mustangs on a Mustang forum.
Old 12/23/07, 09:25 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats! Great looking car.
Old 12/23/07, 09:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I'm not disappointed in that. If you read my earlier post, I think the C6 is a great car and I shopped them myself. I was just disappointed that so many people were calling it better on a mustang forum. You'd think more people would be defending Mustangs on a Mustang forum.

True, I agree with you on that. I don't dislike the GT500, actually I think it's an awesome car. Wouldn't mind owning one in the future. Just wasn't in the cards for me at this time.

I'd say this thread has gone on long enough, out of respect and due to the fact that this is a Mustang site lets let it die quietly.
Old 12/23/07, 09:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'd say this thread has gone on long enough, out of respect and due to the fact that this is a Mustang site lets let it die quietly.
Be proud of what you bought. I would. It just surprised me to see so many people supporting it over the GT500.

The fact that you are keeping the Mustang proves that you are truly a Stang Freak.

I'd be interested to know which car stirs up the most passion. Please let us know.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12/24/07, 04:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

For MSRP, the GT500 is a decent buy but a C6 at $50k MSRP nets you a significantly better car.

The 08 GT500 factory HID is a mere reflector based HID (D3R capsule) while the C6 Vette has a custom made projector HID capsule developed specifically for the Vette (not D1S/D2S/D3S/D4S). Projector HIDs are superior due to less transmission losses and can utilize better optics with a sharper cutoff.

I also mentioned the magnetic ride suspension, head-up display, and IRS. For $50k MSRP, you end up with a lot of car and a foreign competitor car with the same power to weight ratio and features would cost upwards of $100k or more.

The GT500 essentially nets you a 2007-up Mustang GT with body effects, a few suspension mods and a supercharged 5.4L 4V V8 - not exactly rocket science for going in a straight line. Like I said before, at MSRP the GT500 isn't bad at all but the Ford dealerships that are price gouging with their stupid ADM's just killed the entire experience of looking for a GT500. I can walk into any local Chevrolet dealership and buy a C6 with the GM Supplier Discount and not get hassled. Our family has bought nothing but Fords for the past 30 years and I am not a bowtie fan, but I just wouldn't fathom paying nearly $50k for a Mustang when a $50k C6 comes with much better equipment. The head-up display is alone worth its weight! You get a G-meter, bar-graph tachometer, and digital speedometer right where you need it. The GT500 does not have this and many foreign cars don't even have this. The magnetic ride suspension is cutting-edge and High-end foreign sports cars generally have this option.

Anyhow, Happy Holidays!
Old 12/24/07, 05:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Heh great car - congrats and 45000$ for such car is amazing because I am in Europe. For that money here I can buy 2 years old Mustang GT Premium with 18.000 miles without any mods.
New Vette like yours will cost about 100.000 - 105.000 $ here
Old 12/24/07, 05:39 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice. I saw a red one like that in the summer and considered trading my car in next year for one.
Old 12/24/07, 06:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
What turns me off about the GT-500 are the dealerships.Not everyone can cough up that 25K difference and still get the car financed.The GT-500 is an awesome car no doubt.
Its nice to see how many here are auto enthusiast and appreciate the new Vette's.I had several older Vette's myself. The new Vette's are actually competing with the international exotic market and doing very well.

Quick Reply: Went over to the dark side..............