2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Well I test drove a GT today

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/06, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I test drove a GT today

As you may remember I post a topic about trading in my V6 for a GT. Although I loved my V6, and still do, I decided after hearing so **** much about the GT being so great I had to check it out. Well, it's been months since that post and I finally got around to it today.

I test drove an 05 dark red automatic convert w/ black leather. No IUP or anything. It was not a fully loaded GT, but not bad.

Anyway, the sound kicked ***, the extra acceleration was great, the fact that it handles easier and is better going over the bumps was a major plus. All-in-all it is a superior car to the V6.

However, even after the test I have decided NOT to trade up. Although the GT is nice I am perfectly happy with my car. Besides the fact that my payment would go from 359 - 500 a month if I got the GT I'd want (Fully-Loaded Black or Vista Blue coupe w/ spoiler, IUP, leather, manual trans etc etc.) ain't exactly inviting.

I'm sure after reading this the response I'll get is .
Old 7/17/06, 09:19 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I love both of my baby mustangs.
Old 7/17/06, 09:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05blackV6
As you may remember I post a topic about trading in my V6 for a GT. Although I loved my V6, and still do, I decided after hearing so **** much about the GT being so great I had to check it out. Well, it's been months since that post and I finally got around to it today.

I test drove an 05 dark red automatic convert w/ black leather. No IUP or anything. It was not a fully loaded GT, but not bad.

Anyway, the sound kicked ***, the extra acceleration was great, the fact that it handles easier and is better going over the bumps was a major plus. All-in-all it is a superior car to the V6.

However, even after the test I have decided NOT to trade up. Although the GT is nice I am perfectly happy with my car. Besides the fact that my payment would go from 359 - 500 a month if I got the GT I'd want (Fully-Loaded Black or Vista Blue coupe w/ spoiler, IUP, leather, manual trans etc etc.) ain't exactly inviting.

I'm sure after reading this the response I'll get is .
I just did the opposite. I test drove a V6 on the lot leftover. (thinking I can lower my payment) I thought the car was nice. I even could live with not having a GT and getting a V6. I also decided to keep mine and not trade. The dealer even offered me $24,500! (not bad for a dealer trade allowance) But the payment was only $60 less. Plus I ould need to pay tax again for the 3rd time lol) The salesmean was nice. Instead of pressuring me he told me to get in my car and go drive it and enjoy it and keep it. Good luck with your decision.
Old 7/18/06, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks man. Same to you.
Old 7/18/06, 01:01 PM
Cobra Member

There's nothing wrong with the V6. It may not be as fast, but it is still a Mustang. You made a wise choice. I'd also think the insurance rates are quite a bit lower than the GT's.

If you're going to trade up, I'd wait until the new design comes out and then go for the V8.
Old 7/18/06, 02:43 PM
GT Member

I agree there's nothing wrong with the V6. I've test driven both cars and personally, I'm going to order the GT. As for the insurance, in my case, it's only about $6 per month. Yes, the loan payment difference will be significantly more between the two but for me insurance was a non-issue. (That's probably the only benefit of getting older...)

Enjoy your V6 for many years to come, 05blackV6. It's a cool car because it's a Mustang. And if it makes a difference, approximately 2/3 of the S197's are V6's, according to Matt DeLorenzo's book.

Old 7/18/06, 04:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys. I hope you all have many years of enjoyment with your cars as well. And good luck with your GT flieger67. Also, I've been thinking of getting that book by Matt DeLorenzo. I take it it will be a good read?
Old 7/18/06, 04:19 PM
Cobra Member

My '07 GT is on order and should be here anytime now. I've got a bunch of reasons for going from a V6 to a GT, but mainly it's because I was looking at putting an SC on my sixxer and that would have put me -about- into GT territory on performance. I might as well get a GT, then if I put an SC on later it will be that much FASTER Plus I was going to have to upgrade to a t-lock rearend/ bigger wheels/ tires and I still wouldn't have ABS or traction control. And they've started a multi-year construction project next door to our office, I can't keep the black '05 clean more than a couple of days! Lastly, my '05 is auto and I've regretted not getting a stick. Nothing wrong with the V6 though, it's been a great car!
Old 7/18/06, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I have the same problem with my black 05. I HATE it getting dirty!!!!!!! That is my only main issue with it. I also would have liked to get a stick. Whatever, I'll have more stick than I can handle if I get my Viper.
Old 7/18/06, 05:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05blackV6
Thanks guys. I hope you all have many years of enjoyment with your cars as well. And good luck with your GT flieger67. Also, I've been thinking of getting that book by Matt DeLorenzo. I take it it will be a good read?
The DeLorenzo book is very well done and an interesting read. There's just enough history of the entire line to put the S197 into context. That's followed with sections devoted to styling, engines, etc. I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book and it's worth the money. By the way, I got it at a great price through Amazon.

And thanks for the wishes on the GT. I can't wait to not only order it, but also to finally take delivery. I'm already toying around with license plate ideas, though I may wait a while for a customized plate.