2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Warranty Work - Your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/06, 10:30 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello fellow Mustang Friends!

I was just wondering what the general experience is when you have taken your Pony to the dealer for warranty work? Are they giving loaner cars?

I'm not quite to the 1st oil change yet (3500 miles so far) and am thinking that I'll hit them up with my list of warranty things when I take her in for the 1st service. Thought I'd ask what your experience has been with getting warranty work done before I start my journey to fixing my Pony.

My list (sigh):
1. Leaky brake fluid resevoir
2. The knock on driver side
3. Leaky trunk
4. Gas filler issue (although intermittent depending on the station)
5. Throttle/ignition hesitation out of slow corner (bucks 3 times & goes away)

I don't have a problem with my Shaker 1000 (yet) or any door handle or windshield wiper issues.....but I'm not holding my breath. I did notice a few paint chips already.

My driver door sticker says that my manufacture date is 07/05. Where do you find out the actual build date?

Any info will be helpful. Thank you guys!
Old 1/10/06, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my experience you will be good if you can just get the car fixed much less get a loaner.
Old 1/10/06, 10:41 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They should provide you with a rental car, however, it is your responsibility to pay for the insurance on the rental. Any damage that occurs to the rental comes out of your pocket if you don't pay for the insurance coverage.

As for the repairs you need, as long as the service center is decent you should have no problems getting the repairs done. You can always ask about the paint chips, but it still amazes me that something like that would ever be covered under warranty.
Old 1/10/06, 11:23 AM
GT Member

Anyone know where to get the actual build date? Other than the 07/05 is says on my driver door well?
Old 1/10/06, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

If I remember correctly, the build date is in with you car info in the Service Dept, or have the Dealer run an Oasis report . Also there is a member on here (kzinti) that can find that info for you. Hope this helps.
Michael
Old 1/10/06, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

When I sent the 05 in for some minor paint repair (took about a week and came out great) I did not have to ask for a loaner as I had just gotten the 95 Cobra and wanted to play with that instead. We just had our focus in for warranty repair and did get a loaner for that.
Old 1/10/06, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I dropped off my 05, the dealer offered me a loaner, but I didn't need it. My salesman has told me several times that if I ever need a loaner and there is a problem, he will lend me his Mustang.
Old 1/11/06, 09:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

From my experience when I have had warranty problems that require the car to be kept overnight - I have been offered a loaner. The dealer had my 05 a week to pull the tranny, etc and I was scheduled around when a loaner would be available from the dealer
Old 1/11/06, 09:13 AM
GT Member

Thanks guys for the info on what to expect! I appreciate it!
Old 1/13/06, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

The dealership got me a rental car from this place up the street from them. It was a filthy, nasty POS focus. It only had 24,000+ miles, but it was cleaner on the outside than the inside. It smelled like cheap deodorizer trying to cover up cigarette smoke. Seats had big stains on them. Floors were stained, too. Windshield wiper fluid was non existant. Windshield had something smeared all over it. I wasn't about to wash it. If there's a next time, I'll get my Mother in Law's car like I should have this time.
Old 1/14/06, 02:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 10, 2006, 12:44 PM
They should provide you with a rental car, however, it is your responsibility to pay for the insurance on the rental. Any damage that occurs to the rental comes out of your pocket if you don't pay for the insurance coverage.

As for the repairs you need, as long as the service center is decent you should have no problems getting the repairs done. You can always ask about the paint chips, but it still amazes me that something like that would ever be covered under warranty.

i had inquired about getting a loaner if i needed one and was told i would have to pay out of my pocket.......because it not in my warranty....i guess that was a load of b......s...........
Old 1/14/06, 08:48 AM
GT Member

A few months ago, I took my '05 in to my dealer to have the ring and pinion gears and the driver's side door handle (sticking problem) replaced. The rear-end would "wine" real bad all the time. It took them nearly a week to complete the work due to their parts suppliers not having the parts in stock. I am very happy with the install though, no wine or anything now.

They actually ordered the parts three days before I dropped my car off, but were not notified that they were on backorder until after I left it. Once the gears came in, they got it done in no time.
Old 1/14/06, 10:23 AM

I had to have a fog light replaced under warranty and oil change @ the same time. The dealer provided one of the "program" vehicles on the lot as a "loaner" so I could get back to the office and do necessary daily activities. They called my cell phone when finished, and I took back the loaner to p/u my GT. They've told me they'd have a vehicle for me to use anytime I needed to bring in the GT, and have been so far faithful to their word. I really appreciate my dealer!
Old 1/14/06, 02:40 PM
GT Member

My dealer has given me a loaner any time I asked for one and it's not even the dealer I bought the car from. (I ordered from a different dealer so that I would give the commision to a friend.) They have been great.

-TRB
Old 1/14/06, 04:19 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

The only thing I've ever been offered is a lift to where I need to go. However, I did end up getting my springs installed by a local SVT dealer and when I was negotiating with the service tech, he threw in the rental fee for a loaner for free. they have Enterprise rental car operating right out of the dealership so that was convenient. It would have been about $25 rental for the day, plus gas.

Kristina
Old 1/14/06, 04:29 PM
V6 Member

I think it depends on the dealership. I know of one dealership here in town that they have a sign no loaners/rentals except with ext. warranty policy. And if you have an ext. warranty that will also cover the loaner and or rental. I have had several loaners and rentals lately...but hopefully that is over with...lol. But check with your dealer first.
V6 Member

I think it depends on the dealership. I know of one dealership here in town that they have a sign no loaners/rentals except with ext. warranty policy. And if you have an ext. warranty that will also cover the loaner and or rental. I have had several loaners and rentals lately...but hopefully that is over with...lol. But check with your dealer first.
V6 Member

Old 1/16/06, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Went to a dealer in Orange for some warranty work. They offered to pay for a rental from their onsite office. I had to pay tax and insurance (about $15 total). When it turned out that the car they'd pay for was a shoe-box with wheels, I declined.

They were going to have my car over the weekend (needed to get parts shipped), so I just told them I'd bring the car back Monday am. They told me they didn't want me driving the car (leaking radiator), called around locally for the part and sent someone out to get it - job was done while I went for breakfast across the street.

I live in HB, but drive to Orange cos these guys have been good to me (polar opposite of the sharks in HB).
Old 1/17/06, 02:23 PM

I just got my car back from the dealer this afternoon after having the handle replaced on the driver's door. Although I left it there Sunday night, and they told me it would be ready on Monday, they didn't get all the work done on Monday, so they gave me a loaner and finished it today (Tuesday). No charge for the car, excpet of course had I wrecked it. Like someone else mentioned, mine also was a POS Focus from Enterprise. But it got me to work this morning.
My guess is that this really gets down to what you can negotiate with your dealership. Had the work taken a week to do, and they would have told me a week, I would have been in a weaker position than I was, because they had told me it would take just a few hours and it ended up taking a day and a half.