2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

VIEW THE 2009 MUSTANG ORDER GUIDE HERE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/08, 07:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by V10
On snow, ice and even rain it's fairly easy to trigger most systems.

Unless Nissan has made a change to their system, their's is not fully defeatable. The switch just changes the threshold of where their system kicks in.
That's very true in those coniditions.

My brothers 350Z turns off completely.
Old 3/22/08, 11:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
My post was mainly sarcastic, but that doesn't convey over the internet. ..........
no your post was not sarcastic, it was directly antagaonistic.

I read your initial posts on stability systems and immediately picked up that you have no clue how the systems work.
No you didn't read my posts, but you did immediately react.

-Mercedes: Switch defeats ESP to a certain extent.
In other words it can't be fully turned off, which I indicated. They aren't the only ones with such a system.

These are Nanny systems as I've been saying.
Old 3/22/08, 11:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
That is the exact reason I did not order it on mine. I hate the little turtle shell.
It's something that should have a order delete option as do spoilers etc.

It's odd that a subscriber system such as SAT Radio is made 'standard' without the option to say you don't want it. It's kind of like buying a new TV and being told you must have a Direct TV antenna put on your house even if you don't want Direct TV.

It's great for Sirius I guess.
Old 3/23/08, 01:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
These are Nanny systems as I've been saying.
Who cares? These nanny systems are there for people with inflated egos, like yourself. I am done posting because I am obviously talking with an internet warrior.
Old 3/23/08, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

Who cares? These nanny systems are there for people with inflated egos, like yourself. I am done posting because I am obviously talking with an internet warrior.
OMG there you go again. Who has the inflated ego and who is an internet warrior? Take another look at yourself.
Old 3/23/08, 03:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
XM/Sirius satellite radio's time was up as soon as I saw it released. With people getting used to multimedia internet streaming services on their iPods/iPhones, it was unlikely for large numbers of people to pay to listen to someone else's playlist and a few extra swear words on talk shows without any movie/TV/visual options. If Satellite radio hit the market about 20 years ago, it might have been a different story.
Old 3/23/08, 04:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe that Ambient Lighting is Standard on the Premium V6 and GT, but optional on the GT500. Ford still needs to make ABS standard across the full line instead of an option on the V6 models. I guess I'll just hang on to my '07 till the 2010 comes out!
Old 3/23/08, 08:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
XM/Sirius satellite radio's time was up as soon as I saw it released. With people getting used to multimedia internet streaming services on their iPods/iPhones, it was unlikely for large numbers of people to pay to listen to someone else's playlist and a few extra swear words on talk shows without any movie/TV/visual options. If Satellite radio hit the market about 20 years ago, it might have been a different story.
I agree Metro
Old 3/23/08, 11:12 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

no doubt. We need more Nanny laws.
I'd have to disagree, soccor moms, juggling a cell phone, and eye liner while staring down the navigation system and trying to backhand the brats in the back seat need all the help they can get.

Don't look at ABS/TCS/SC as some sort of electronic nanny, think of it more as a guardian angel to protect you from all the people who can't drive that well (and they are legion).

You might be so badass as to be able to drive a car on its roof through a teflon spill, but the driver next to you might be so incompetent as to just barely able to get the key in the run position, much less do more than point the care in the general direction they might want to go - those are the people ABS/TCS/SC are for.

Last edited by bob; 3/23/08 at 11:14 PM.
Old 3/23/08, 11:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bob
I'd have to disagree, soccor moms, juggling a cell phone, and eye liner while staring down the navigation system and trying to backhand the brats in the back seat need all the help they can get.

Don't look at ABS/TCS/SC as some sort of electronic nanny, think of it more as a guardian angel to protect you from all the people who can't drive that well (and they are legion).

You might be so badass as to be able to drive a car on its roof through a teflon spill, but the driver next to you might be so incompetent as to just barely able to get the key in the run position, much less do more than point the care in the general direction they might want to go - those are the people ABS/TCS/SC are for.
Nothing wrong with ABS it should be standard on all cars. It's interesting that it hasn't been mandated
All I'm saying is SC should be an option.

Would you agree the kind of driver you describe should never be issued a license? One has to wonder how those can manage to pass a driving test, even as simple as those tests tend to be.

Some people cannot be saved from themselves.
Old 3/24/08, 12:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He never said he did not like it. He said he did not like it forced on him by law.

VERY BIG DISTINCTION!

Originally Posted by 05fordgt

Hey RC, why don't you like DSC? It will help you out in a situation that you cannot control manually. In a declining situation where you can be hurt badly, you need all the help you can get to get the car under control.
Old 3/24/08, 05:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

DSC would require ABS, so ABS would in effect be mandatory on all vehicles in 2010.

Last edited by metroplex; 3/24/08 at 05:27 AM.
Old 3/24/08, 08:51 AM
V6 Member

That makes my blood boil as well... Sirius/XM is dead technology and automakers are forcing us to wear these stupid Logitech mouse rejects on the outside of the cars as some type of badge of honor.
How do you figure it's a dead technology, because you don't like it? I have hard drives full of MP3's, I have hundreds of full MP3 cd's in the changer and on my Ipod, but all I ever listen to is the Siruis....The antenna doesn't bother me at all. By the way, I thought it was a pretty stupid technology before I got my GT. I suggest it to everybody I know and the one's who have gotten it love it. But thats just my opnion.....
Old 3/24/08, 08:55 AM
V6 Member

Whats up with the larger air intake on the Cali Special, is that something that was on my 07 GT/CS?
Old 3/24/08, 09:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by kevworthy
How do you figure it's a dead technology, because you don't like it? I have hard drives full of MP3's, I have hundreds of full MP3 cd's in the changer and on my Ipod, but all I ever listen to is the Siruis....The antenna doesn't bother me at all. By the way, I thought it was a pretty stupid technology before I got my GT. I suggest it to everybody I know and the one's who have gotten it love it. But thats just my opnion.....
I've tried BOTH XM and Sirius. They did not impress me one bit. The fugly antennae on the cars are also a major compromise on the styling. A shark-fin or Logitech-reject mouse just sticks out like a sore thumb. I can spot them a mile away but the people that have them try every angle to justify it, from "I can't even see it" or "it doesn't bother me". Well, it bothers me and I don't even like the "whip" AM/FM antennae. It's the 21st century and if Ford can integrate the AM/FM antenna into the defroster grid on a Crown Victoria, they ought to have used that or something even BETTER on their Mustang halo car. In that regard, I despise the hood prop rod with a vengeance.

As for the dead technology, here is why they are already dying on the market:

1). They are competing against web media like streaming videos, TV shows, and movies. The hand-held market is going to the way of iPhone-like systems.

2). If you listen to the satellite radio stations long enough, you find out that it is just one big playlist or multiple playlists. I've experienced several recycled lists just listening to satellite radio over a 1 week span. When I switched to talk shows, I just didn't find any value in the discussions. A few extra cuss words due to lax restrictions are hardly enough to justify the monthly bills. There are lots of stations to choose from but I wouldn't pay for the service. If XM/Sirius were free, I'd definitely use it because it helps when you are traveling and do not want to seek through different stations. HD Radio offers this (to a certain extent) and is a free service.

3). The monthly bills are a nuisance. As if your other utility bills weren't enough, you have to pay to listen to "radio". I know what most pro-satellite radio people will say next, so #4 is a follow-up.

4). Cable TV is being severely impacted by streaming media and P2P services like BT. The future will be in fiber optic services like FiOS or AT&T's variant, so the argument that "well people pay for cable TV" is becoming moot, because cable TV's days are numbered. It makes no sense for me to pay $30 a month for a whole slew of expanded basic channels that I don't watch. I'd like to pick and choose what I want to view (e.g. Sci-Fi, Discovery) at the time I want to see it. Cable TV companies like Time Warner are growing more and more nervous about this new technology.

5). There's no room for expansion with satellite radio. With cars getting Navigation systems and DVD players with LCD screens, satellite radio (audio-only) is going to be phased out for streaming video since you now have a screen or multiple screens. I'd like the ability to glance over at a candlestick chart of DJIA while stuck in traffic or hit a few keys to access select charts for indices or stocks.

Again, if XM/Sirius debuted with force 20 years ago, this would be an entirely different story. Back in the 80s and 90s, you would use a cellphone for talking. In 2008, a cellphone does almost everything.

The major vehicle OEMs are dumping satellite radio on their customers (some are forced-install as part of packages) because they have to justify their investment in the obsolete technology.

Satellite navigation also includes the fugly antenna and is more common on foreign luxury cars. DVD/Sat Navigation systems are useful if you use your personal car for a lot of traveling. If you're like me and prefer to rent a car that gets pummeled by rocks, bugs, and other junk cross-country, then your navigation system isn't going to be useful sitting your garage while you are 1500 miles away. Time to break out the maps or a portable $200 GPS nav unit.

Bottom line is that if you're enjoying satellite radio, all the more power to you. I don't see the value in satellite radio and my friends who did buy into the hype have now canceled their subscriptions for various reasons.

Last edited by metroplex; 3/24/08 at 10:00 AM.
Old 3/24/08, 10:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Nothing wrong with ABS it should be standard on all cars. It's interesting that it hasn't been mandated
All I'm saying is SC should be an option.

Would you agree the kind of driver you describe should never be issued a license? One has to wonder how those can manage to pass a driving test, even as simple as those tests tend to be.

Some people cannot be saved from themselves.
Your arguement above no longer makes sense. You advocate ABS, but not Stability Control. They are both driver aids.
Old 3/24/08, 03:06 PM
Cobra Member

Your arguement above no longer makes sense. You advocate ABS, but not Stability Control. They are both driver aids.
That's because you haven't actually read my posts
Old 3/24/08, 03:10 PM
Cobra Member

I've tried BOTH XM and Sirius. They did not impress me one bit. The fugly antennae on the cars are also a major compromise on the styling. A shark-fin or Logitech-reject mouse just sticks out like a sore thumb. I can spot them a mile away but the people that have them try every angle to justify it, from "I can't even see it" or "it doesn't bother me". Well, it bothers me and I don't even like the "whip" AM/FM antennae. It's the 21st century and if Ford can integrate the AM/FM antenna into the defroster grid on a Crown Victoria, they ought to have used that or something even BETTER on their Mustang halo car. In that regard, I despise the hood prop rod with a vengeance.

As for the dead technology, here is why they are already dying on the market:

1). They are competing against web media like streaming videos, TV shows, and movies. The hand-held market is going to the way of iPhone-like systems.

2). If you listen to the satellite radio stations long enough, you find out that it is just one big playlist or multiple playlists. I've experienced several recycled lists just listening to satellite radio over a 1 week span. When I switched to talk shows, I just didn't find any value in the discussions. A few extra cuss words due to lax restrictions are hardly enough to justify the monthly bills. There are lots of stations to choose from but I wouldn't pay for the service. If XM/Sirius were free, I'd definitely use it because it helps when you are traveling and do not want to seek through different stations. HD Radio offers this (to a certain extent) and is a free service.

3). The monthly bills are a nuisance. As if your other utility bills weren't enough, you have to pay to listen to "radio". I know what most pro-satellite radio people will say next, so #4 is a follow-up.

4). Cable TV is being severely impacted by streaming media and P2P services like BT. The future will be in fiber optic services like FiOS or AT&T's variant, so the argument that "well people pay for cable TV" is becoming moot, because cable TV's days are numbered. It makes no sense for me to pay $30 a month for a whole slew of expanded basic channels that I don't watch. I'd like to pick and choose what I want to view (e.g. Sci-Fi, Discovery) at the time I want to see it. Cable TV companies like Time Warner are growing more and more nervous about this new technology.

5). There's no room for expansion with satellite radio. With cars getting Navigation systems and DVD players with LCD screens, satellite radio (audio-only) is going to be phased out for streaming video since you now have a screen or multiple screens. I'd like the ability to glance over at a candlestick chart of DJIA while stuck in traffic or hit a few keys to access select charts for indices or stocks.

Again, if XM/Sirius debuted with force 20 years ago, this would be an entirely different story. Back in the 80s and 90s, you would use a cellphone for talking. In 2008, a cellphone does almost everything.

The major vehicle OEMs are dumping satellite radio on their customers (some are forced-install as part of packages) because they have to justify their investment in the obsolete technology.

Satellite navigation also includes the fugly antenna and is more common on foreign luxury cars. DVD/Sat Navigation systems are useful if you use your personal car for a lot of traveling. If you're like me and prefer to rent a car that gets pummeled by rocks, bugs, and other junk cross-country, then your navigation system isn't going to be useful sitting your garage while you are 1500 miles away. Time to break out the maps or a portable $200 GPS nav unit.

Bottom line is that if you're enjoying satellite radio, all the more power to you. I don't see the value in satellite radio and my friends who did buy into the hype have now canceled their subscriptions for various reasons.
Many people really like SAT radio.

I just don't think it should be a 'standard' feature, unless there is an option to 'delete' it from an order.

I don't know what Ford is basing this decision on. The number of cars ordered with it previously? Ease of manufacturing? a big spiff from Sirius?

Looks like the way has been paved for the merger between XM and Sirius. It's a system that isn't going away soon. Still it's a subscriber system and you should have a choice if you want it on your car or not (especially with the antenna Ford uses on the Mustang being so visible)
Old 3/24/08, 03:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's because you haven't actually read my posts
I've read your posts, you have flipped flopped your position:

"Nothing wrong with ABS it should be standard on all cars. It's interesting that it hasn't been mandated
All I'm saying is SC should be an option."

You advocated ABS being standard on all cars and are suprised it's not a federal law. ABS is a drivers aid, much like Stability Control. Both are proven to reduce accidents. The government is doing the right thing making cars safer.
Old 3/24/08, 04:55 PM
Cobra Member

I've read your posts, you have flipped flopped your position:

"Nothing wrong with ABS it should be standard on all cars. It's interesting that it hasn't been mandated
All I'm saying is SC should be an option."

You advocated ABS being standard on all cars and are suprised it's not a federal law. ABS is a drivers aid, much like Stability Control. Both are proven to reduce accidents. The government is doing the right thing making cars safer.
You have reading comprehension problems. You really should stop now.

Quick Reply: VIEW THE 2009 MUSTANG ORDER GUIDE HERE!!!