2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Unless the new generation mustang is better, this may be my last

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/08, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

That is a joke right?

Our 1999 Camry (we bought new w/7 miles on it) was the biggest rattle trap we have ever owned...

Originally Posted by RedFire4.6
I beat the living hell out of my car almost daily I personally haven't had any problems with my mustang besides rattling and squeaks but that doesn't bother me If i wanted a super quiet refined car I would have bought a Camry.
Old 7/4/08, 06:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang734
Yet with my '06, I have paint flaking off, tires that go to sh*t rather fast, a transmission that blew two solenoid heads, and the worst vibrations and rattles that I've ever experienced in a car. I have never had to spend so much on repairs in my life. The car is two years old, and only has 50,000 miles....give me a frickin break!
My '05 GT is the only new car I ever bought in my life that has had zero problems. That's ZERO problems. It has never been back to the dealer since the day I bought it. 31,000 miles now, and up until two weeks ago, all I had done was oil/filter changes and tire rotations. The original P Zero Nero tires are still good! At 30,000 miles I changed the air filter, cabin air filter, and fuel filter per the maintenance schedule, and had my trusted local mechanic check brakes, suspension, and steering. Nothing wrong. I haven't experienced any paint problems (the car is garaged and always waxed, so that helps).

I'd say you got a lemon, and if I had a car like that, I wouldn't be satisfied either. However, I'm sure you're in the minority, since Consumer Reports is finally rating the Mustang as above average reliability and "recommended."

I tell everyone I know that this car is the best car I ever owned in my life.
Old 7/4/08, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think the sum of the story is that every car generation has its share of lemons. To get one lemon and declare the whole generation a total loss is completely childish. The lemon laws etc are there for a reason and if you get a lemon it's not the end of the world. If anything, all those problems in one single vehicle out of thousands is simply bad luck in the world of mass production. If every single Mustang rolling out of Flat Rock had the same problems, it would be a different story...but clearly that's not the case.

The S197 has done nothing short of single-handedly revitalize the pony-car (not to mention the pony-car wars). It's a platform well respected and loved by many, and is continuing strong. If in the face of this, one lemon causes such contempt for the generation, I suspect such negative opinions will be held at their worth:
Old 7/4/08, 10:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I have had 0 problems with my car, awesome purchase!
Old 7/4/08, 11:50 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I have had 0 problems also. But I can understand because my 1996 Dodge Ram P.O.S. left such a bad taste in my mouth that I well never own another Dodge. Many people love them and never had any problems, but you could not convince me otherwise.
Old 7/5/08, 08:57 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
FWIW, the 07 GT will be my last Ford. I'm tired of being nickel and dimed out of features that are STANDARD on every other car including the Focus and Fusion. Where's my telescoping steering wheel, steering wheel audio controls, projector Xenon HID headlamps, LED exterior lamps, sunroof, stability control, Homelink garage door opener, OEM factory dead pedal, and factory gas struts for the hood?
I wish they'd just offer some of that stuff as an option. I'd paid for it, I like having my cars loaded. But I guess they think making money is a bad thing...
Old 7/5/08, 09:26 AM
ba2

My $.02.

There are three reasons people post to a Marque Forum:

Want to share the excitement of there ride.
Want to find a solution to a problem they are having.
Want to ***** or rant about their car.

I find the first two to be my motives. I have an 07 GT (MY 12th Mustang). Not a problem.

I got my first Mustang before most people on this forum were born. Notice I said most. I had seven Corvettes (mid-life crisis) in between my eleventh and twelveth Mustang. When I joined the corvetteforum, I notice the same trend. I also joined the Pontiac GTP forum in 97 and found the same thing.

I 1966, I bought a Fairlane GT convertible. It was a lemon. After three strikes, I traded it in for my second Mustang and haven't had a problem since.

Dump the lemon and get a new GT.

Last edited by ba2; 7/5/08 at 09:35 AM.
Old 7/5/08, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I am not loyal to any brand, that includes Ford. This is my 4th mustang, 6th Ford vehicle. I have had a total of 17 cars and I can say that the Fords have always had the most problems. Will I stop buying Fords? Not at all. So don't sit there and think I am nuts or going to switch over to GM. My next car purchase most likely will be a vette, not because I don't like the mustang, I really do. I just happen to like a lot of different cars so why not try more than 1.
A very practical point of view. I've always favored Fords but I'm not blindly loyal to any one brand. That said, GM has usually made decisions that keep me from buying their products.
Old 7/5/08, 02:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW, the 07 GT will be my last Ford. I'm tired of being nickel and dimed out of features that are STANDARD on every other car including the Focus and Fusion.
Where's my telescoping steering wheel
- That would be nice. But is it worth the added weight? These are Pony cars, not luxury cars.

steering wheel audio controls
-No real reason they are not standard at least with the S500 and S1000.

projector Xenon HID headlamps
- I'm personally not all that enamored over HID lights. Perhaps there are not enough people that demand them at this time.

LED exterior lamps
- Ok. What does this have to do with the function of the exterior lamps??? Bulbs work. And they are a lot cheaper than LEDs. Again, it's not a luxury car that MUST have all the latest and greatest "features" just so they can say it has them.

sunroof
- Standard??? Lord, I hope not! I don't ever see me buying a car with a sunroof, for a lot of reasons. And you don't really need the extra weight, reduced chassis stiffness and increased cost of a sunroof in the standard Pony car.

stability control
- As long as we can turn it off like the TCS! It shouldn't add any more weight to the car, just the cost of writing the program .

Homelink garage door opener
- Ok. I'm with you 100% on this one!

OEM factory dead pedal
- I can't say having or not having a dead pedal ever made much difference in my car buying decision. If you want one, they are cheap and easy to install. Most people won't even know what they are, let alone want one or be willing to pay extra to have it.

factory gas struts for the hood?
- I do have to admit, the factory prop rod DOES cry out "CHEEP!!!!!" in a loud voice.

Of course, you missed a few other issues:

No interior trunk release, seat backs that don't remember the tilt angle when you tip them forward to get something out of the back seat area, no interior foot well lights, no glove box light, no underhood light.
Old 7/5/08, 03:16 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRoamer
Of course, you missed a few other issues:

No interior trunk release, seat backs that don't remember the tilt angle when you tip them forward to get something out of the back seat area, no interior foot well lights, no glove box light, no underhood light.
I must agree with all of the ones you mentioned. The foot well, underhood lights bug me, the seat tilt bugs me because I'll let the kids in the back and then have to find the right setting again, and would really like to release trunk from inside without using key fob.
Old 7/5/08, 05:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, you got a lemon! My car has been great...
Old 7/5/08, 08:36 PM
V6 Member

my 05 had plenty of problems during the first year and a half of driving it. windows not working, transmission line leak, screeching sound from steering wheel, break lights out,locks not working, gas not filling up, squeaks, rattles, etc.

but for some reason after that the cars been fine.i havent had a major issues for over a year and a half now.i felt kinda distraught at first cuz i thought the car was a lemon but all in all its held up pretty good since getting all those kinks out during the first year and a half!
Old 7/5/08, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

All I can say is my 05 has given me no un-expected problems!
Old 7/5/08, 11:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe he should go for an '08 lol. Seems a lot of his "I want a luxury car but bought a Mustang" features are now available. HID headlights, foot-well lights, homelink, etc.

Telescoping steering column? ...WTF?...Next it'll be a complaint that there's "no exotic wood inlay for the dash".

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I have had 0 problems also. But I can understand because my 1996 Dodge Ram P.O.S. left such a bad taste in my mouth that I well never own another Dodge. Many people love them and never had any problems, but you could not convince me otherwise.
Understandable. I haven't been impressed with anything Dodge has put out lately. It's a wonder they're making any numbers at all. The only half-decent vehicle they're producing right now is the charger/magnum series, and I say that from the perspective of a car...certainly not from the perspective of a muscle car.

I'm the kind of person that grows quickly skeptical, but I am not the sort to turn a blind eye towards something, solely based upon past experience. If Dodge puts out something that is actually good, I will look at it. I won't deny that a good car is a good car because I found out Dodge made it and I hated their previous stuff.

Unfortunately for Dodge...they haven't made anything good yet. :P
Old 7/7/08, 07:16 AM
GT Member

My 07 GT has had its share of small problems. Dash rattles are common. The gas tank fill issue seems to be intermittent. My driver's door can't close properly because the seal is too thick or the door was installed too deeply. The 5-speed manual needed a few thousand miles to break-in and is now butter smooth.

FWIW, the 07 GT will be my last Ford. I'm tired of being nickel and dimed out of features that are STANDARD on every other car including the Focus and Fusion. Where's my telescoping steering wheel, steering wheel audio controls, projector Xenon HID headlamps, LED exterior lamps, sunroof, stability control, Homelink garage door opener, OEM factory dead pedal, and factory gas struts for the hood?

What you say is "standard" is actually figured into the cost of their vehicle. Nobody is giving away any features for free. Believe it. Especially high cost features like stability control, sunroofs, Xenon HID....
Old 7/7/08, 11:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

My girlfriends Audi A4 has more problems then my Mustang. I think you can find a problem with everything. My biggest problem with my Mustang are the interior rattles. I hope that is corrected with higher quality plastics in the 2010.
Old 7/7/08, 02:21 PM
Cobra R Member

My '05 GT (used) had the exhaust and airbag TSB performed. I also had the parking brake cables replaced; no other warranty work was needed. I know they're a couple of other things that need to be addressed, but it's nothing I can't live with.
Old 7/7/08, 02:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
My biggest problem with my Mustang are the interior rattles. I hope that is corrected with higher quality plastics in the 2010.
Did you get the exhaust TSB done? It makes a huge difference.
Old 7/7/08, 03:41 PM
GT Member

well im at about 3,000 miles on my Job 2 2008, I've had a few squeaks from the hard plastic, but I've been able to fix them myself. I've also got the 3rd gear grind issue that I wont be able to fix until the fall when it cools off around here. But ive got a new issue now, there are two spots where the paint has flaked off on the edge of the front bumper, definately not stone chips - I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow. I'm hoping I don't encounter anymore issues!
Old 7/8/08, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

the only problems i've encountered has been the super stellar service at my local ford, and the paint. some old lady farts in the car next to me, and I'm looking for a chip missing, or a scratch. just gonna save up for a good paint job, with lots of clearcoat!

Last edited by firestang; 7/8/08 at 09:07 AM. Reason: the sky is falling

Quick Reply: Unless the new generation mustang is better, this may be my last