2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Unless the new generation mustang is better, this may be my last

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/08, 06:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the transmission go within the first seven months. Once the transmission and the parts related to it were replaced I have not had a problem, but I can understand were Mustang 734 is coming from.

For me to consider a new generation mustang there would have to be the following changes;

Stainless Steel to replace cheap plastic aluminum parts, a better cd system that does not skip when you go over a bump, a better exhaust system or at least a choice of exhaust systems before delivery takes place.
Old 7/4/08, 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone has these stories. My '03 Lincoln LS came with a spare but no jack - something I learned at 11:30 PM on a Saturday night in Hinesville, GA. Lucky - and I mean lucky - for me the 800 number for Ford roadside service actually worked and I was able to change the tire. I did get a new jack when I got home but a car without a jack? The LS also had the entire poor steering rack replaced at 9,000 miles, one rear drive spline, and electronic parts of the the tranny - all this done within 16K miles. Great ride, comfortable as hell but not the best built. My '05 Focus needed a new alternator (under warranty) and it now has 46K on the clock. The real issue is that once we drive/own a **** good car we expect all the others to be just as good - especially if they are from the same company - and that ain't going to happen all the time.
Old 7/4/08, 06:41 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by poldrv
For me to consider a new generation mustang there would have to be the following changes;
....... a better exhaust system or at least a choice of exhaust systems before delivery takes place.

Hmmm, I have yet to see Ford ever give dealer options for different exhaust systems. That is what the aftermarket sector is for.
Old 7/4/08, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

With a in as close as you have I would have a chat with him and tell him whats going on
Old 7/4/08, 07:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I am not sure I would say he got a lemon. Think about it. Look at all the TSB's out on the mustang. So far on mine I have had a faulty fuel pump, bad front strut (drivers side), gas tank had to be replaced, faulty global window feature (modules replaced), valves replaced on passenger side, trim molding that scratched windows (replaced with new molding that did the same thing), drivers side seat cover (leather) torn at bottom where it attaches to the frame, more squeaks and rattles that I can think of.

I would not say my issues are rare because numerous people on this forum have had the same issue. I have 2 pontiac's and neither have had to ever go in for any form of "warranty service" and I paid less for them than I did the mustang. Are these problems going to stop me from buying a mustang in the future. Probably not since it seems it happens no matter what generation I buy. However, it might sway me to buy something else like a vette.

Problem solved! Switch to GM.
Old 7/4/08, 07:41 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by MustangGuy
Problem solved! Switch to GM.
I am not loyal to any brand, that includes Ford. This is my 4th mustang, 6th Ford vehicle. I have had a total of 17 cars and I can say that the Fords have always had the most problems. Will I stop buying Fords? Not at all. So don't sit there and think I am nuts or going to switch over to GM. My next car purchase most likely will be a vette, not because I don't like the mustang, I really do. I just happen to like a lot of different cars so why not try more than 1.
Old 7/4/08, 08:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
My 07 GT has had its share of small problems. Dash rattles are common. The gas tank fill issue seems to be intermittent. My driver's door can't close properly because the seal is too thick or the door was installed too deeply. The 5-speed manual needed a few thousand miles to break-in and is now butter smooth.

FWIW, the 07 GT will be my last Ford. I'm tired of being nickel and dimed out of features that are STANDARD on every other car including the Focus and Fusion. Where's my telescoping steering wheel, steering wheel audio controls, projector Xenon HID headlamps, LED exterior lamps, sunroof, stability control, Homelink garage door opener, OEM factory dead pedal, and factory gas struts for the hood?
Old 7/4/08, 08:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Yeah, this is the first account I've ever heard from a prior generation owner saying the S197 is less refined / worse quality.
I'm with you...after owning an 86, 88, 94, 98, 01, and 04, our two 07s are by far the best out of them ALL. Material and build quality is far superior.
Old 7/4/08, 08:53 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
" I have paint flaking off, tires that go to sh*t rather fast, a transmission that blew two solenoid heads, and the worst vibrations and rattles that I've ever experienced in a car. I have never had to spend so much on repairs in my life. The car is two years old, and only has 50,000 miles...."

It sounds like the car was wrecked. I'm guessing there's more to the story.
Paint flaking off (bad-repaint), tires to crap (a hit in the suspension area or frame damage), vibes/rattles (common after a bad wreck w/ frame or suspension not fixed properly). The transmission - who knows. Not saying it was wrecked, but that's just what popped in my head after reading this without any prior knowledge of your car.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 7/4/08 at 08:56 AM.
Old 7/4/08, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
Think about it. Look at all the TSB's out on the mustang.
Which year?

My '07GT has had...one. And it involved the passenger airbag potentially causing harm to "a small passenger not wearing a seatbelt with the seat all the way forward and the back tilted forward"...

So I'd say...zero.
Old 7/4/08, 09:16 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by Arrow
Which year?

My '07GT has had...one. And it involved the passenger airbag potentially causing harm to "a small passenger not wearing a seatbelt with the seat all the way forward and the back tilted forward"...

So I'd say...zero.
Well mine is an 05 so ofcourse an 05 and 06 would have more TSB's than an 07 or 08 I'm talking about how many there are in general from 05 and up. Some people around here are acting like this is the first time they have heard of problems with these cars.
Old 7/4/08, 09:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
humm I ordered my 05 GT online a Factory build order , then get a call come take one for a drive from my local dealer ship no just Call me when it's in. So for the 05 GT there were only 2 items # 1 a rear window clip for the defroster fell off the window, and for # 2 when it was in for service the notice the front passenger strut had a leak so they replaced it.

As foy my 07 GT/CS also a factory order, only thing there was that ornamental hood scoop came loose or had the gaps under it, and with the K&N and the Bama tunner I have suck a blast driving it I've had it like 17 months and racked up like 36,000 likometers on it . Oh yah the gas tanks are too small always have to stop to fill them.
Old 7/4/08, 10:35 AM

I think you should just buy a different brand. We all know that Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac, Toyota, Honda, Buick, Hyundai, Chrysler, BMW, Porsche and the rest have never had a problem
Old 7/4/08, 10:52 AM
Cobra Member

My 06 has had zero issues and the only thing I've taken it to the dealer for is the safety module recall. I had a rattle in the dash and found the dash was not sitting on a support tab and would rattle against it. One small piece of foam and a wire coat hanger later I had no more rattles. For a mustang the S197 is a great car I suspect you got one of the more problematic ones. I had 2001 Wrangler before and had no issues with it but a coworker had a 2000 Wrangler and had nothing but issues left and right. He had so many issues he swore off of Jeep forever. Now my wife drives a trailblazer and that is the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned so much that I would not buy another so I guess I feel the same way about it as you do the Mustang
Old 7/4/08, 11:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Deric
My 06 has had zero issues and the only thing I've taken it to the dealer for is the safety module recall. I had a rattle in the dash and found the dash was not sitting on a support tab and would rattle against it. One small piece of foam and a wire coat hanger later I had no more rattles. For a mustang the S197 is a great car I suspect you got one of the more problematic ones. I had 2001 Wrangler before and had no issues with it but a coworker had a 2000 Wrangler and had nothing but issues left and right. He had so many issues he swore off of Jeep forever. Now my wife drives a trailblazer and that is the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned so much that I would not buy another so I guess I feel the same way about it as you do the Mustang
I have an '05 Trailblazer and have had good luck with it. Almost 60K miles and all i've put into it was gas, oil, brakes, a battery, and a week after my Mustang came it it got jealous and cost me $600 for a secondary air pump.
Old 7/4/08, 12:52 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Other than break squeal, along with the battery discharging from not being ran enough. I've had zero problems with my 05 GT, during the past 3+ years of ownership.

As for my break squeal issues, I took the car back to my local dealership, and they replaced my front brake pads with new pads, which included the revised pad linings listed under the TSB. Problem solved.

I also purchased a battery minder plus tender charger, and have not encountered any further battery issues since. I just simply plug into my 12V power plug whenever my car isn't in use, and I'm good to go.

Overall, I've been very pleased with my 05 GT, and have no intentions of switching to GM, nor any other brand for that matter. In which I've been a loyal Mustang and Ford owner, since day 1 !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/4/08 at 12:58 PM.
Old 7/4/08, 02:21 PM

Just to clarify, I am not ******* the mustang by any means. Hell, I come from an all Ford family...and as we know, Ford needs all the hype it can get in this fabulous economy. All I'm saying is that this car (which was purchased new as a three year lease) is costing me a fortune in repairs. Will I continue to buy mustangs? Probably. I still can't resist the way others look at you on the road when you got such a great looking car. But all I'm saying is that I hope they can tweak out certain problems, at least to which me and some other members have encountered. Can I ever see myself in any other brand? Probably not. I've owned mustangs, a fusion, an escape, and a focus. All to which seem "comfortable" compared to my friends cars which are either Daimler-Chrysler or GM. With that, I just hope that Ford does not rush the new model, and makes sure to really look at the product that they are producing.
Old 7/4/08, 02:41 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You've leased a car, modded it, and have over 50K mi after just 2 years? Are you sure leasing was the best thing for you?
Old 7/4/08, 03:54 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Arrow
Which year?

My '07GT has had...one.
'07's have had many more than that. I count 16 in a list on another forum which isn't even up to date. Just because you're unaware of them doesn't mean they don't exist. And those who've had an annoying problem that was eventually cured by a TSB know Ford doesn't issue them lightly (Ford actually takes its sweet *** time with them).
Old 7/4/08, 04:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

My 05 no problems at all , the 08 none , my daughter 08 G37 2mo. old paint had a scratch on pick up ,blue tooth quit the first week and some radio problem. 04 mercedes clk series with in 6 mo. the trans went out the power seat broke sun roof leaked and the cat. convert replaced 2 times and you needed your own oil well to own it, 2007 bmw 5 series won"t stop stalling been towed to the dealer 4 times the 05 scion no problems ,07 mazda one time for a computer flash.I guess they all have problems?I have a program that has most tsb on all cars and everyone has their issues.

Quick Reply: Unless the new generation mustang is better, this may be my last