2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

TWO (2) CHEAPEST Components ?

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/05, 07:29 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, while I wait for my GT, I came up with another thread:

In your opinion, what two (2) components on your '05/'06 Mustang do YOU think were made the poorest or basically are cheap ?

Don't be shy... I'm sure as much as you LOVE your new Mustang, you probably can come up with two components you just feel could have been made better ! :notnice:

Alright, get ready.... get set.... GO !! :P
Old 9/22/05, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Well the interior plastic could be a little better. Thats about it.
Old 9/22/05, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of plastic inside, but that doesn't really bother me too much, because the rest of the car is so awesome! However, the seat belt drives me nuts. I have never had a seat belt in any car cut into my neck like this one. (no adjustment) I got one of those velcroed on pads that works fine, but it won't stay in place and keeps rolling and sliding around. I gotta pin that thing down! You may not find many complainers here. We're all crazy for the car, or we wouldn't be here. If the car was perfect, however, how would we have fun modding it?
Old 9/22/05, 07:42 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the paint is a major problem. Chips easy, several cars are missing paint and metallic is uneven on a lot of cars. Other than that, I love the car
Old 9/22/05, 07:42 PM
GTR Member

Interior plastic and carpeting-mats included.the shaker volume **** feels like it could break at any moment.the plastic on doors scratces very easily.the runnng horse badge on steering wheel looks a little cheap.
Old 9/23/05, 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I feel like the headlight switch may end up in my hand whilst turning on my fogs. When you go WOT, the seatbelt locks......not a fan of this.
Old 9/23/05, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree with Mike on the headlight switch. My other gripe would be the cheap leather seats. I would like to have seen a good quality leather on all the seats, not just the front "seating surfaces". I would have been willing to come up with the additional cost.
Old 9/23/05, 07:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd like to have a remote/locking gas door. That should be standard these days.

Maybe a little more sound insulation around the tranny.

Other than that it's just about perfect! I had a Mark VIII before this and I thought I'd miss some of the luxury features, but not much. I kinda miss the power seat memory at the car wash.
Old 9/23/05, 07:44 PM
V6 Member

Yeah, I'd say the interior ***** and the paint.
Old 9/23/05, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with the items mentioned above, so I'll add a couple different ones:

1) Rear Valance is too flimsy.

2) Arm rests on the door panels are too hard, need to be softer.

3) My GT came with pre-drilled holes in the front bumper.

TC
Old 9/24/05, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Areas of concern for me are the things Ford did to keep the cost down on this car so the less affluent crowd could afford it. I'd like to see Ford really make a difference in the "Preimum" model and I would gladly pay for things like:

1) Better interior materials - the plastic interior is really cheap looking
2) Better grade leather and full leather - it's really a shame the amount of $$'s spent on the leather interior and then ending up with low grade quality and leather only on the front "seating surfaces"
3) Carpeting is really cheap - compared with my Lincoln LS it looks like something you would expect in a Pinto.
4) Non adjustability of the steering wheel - Ford really needs to give us telescoping steering wheel adjustment - can't get a comfortable position when my leg to pedal adjustment is right - I have to reach far for the steering wheel - my knees actually bump the steering column.
5) The rear quarter panels are extremely cheap looking...even with the Preimum package - they are just cheap plastic - should at least match the door inserts
6) Interior lighting - there just isn't any - I've added footwell and lower door lights.
7) Other available options such as HomeLink, memory seats, etc.
8) Better/more sound insulation.....too much road noise gets into the cabin - I've added Dynamat Extreme to the floor, trunk, doors, firewall and it makes a hugh difference - sounds much more quality - now all I hear are the engine and exhaust (just like it should be)

Now after saying that - I really like this new Mustang and feel it is the best Mustang in a long time - possible ever!!
Old 9/24/05, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP@September 24, 2005, 5:59 PM
Areas of concern for me are the things Ford did to keep the cost down on this car so the less affluent crowd could afford it. I'd like to see Ford really make a difference in the "Preimum" model and I would gladly pay for things like:

1) Better interior materials - the plastic interior is really cheap looking
2) Better grade leather and full leather - it's really a shame the amount of $$'s spent on the leather interior and then ending up with low grade quality and leather only on the front "seating surfaces"
3) Carpeting is really cheap - compared with my Lincoln LS it looks like something you would expect in a Pinto.
4) Non adjustability of the steering wheel - Ford really needs to give us telescoping steering wheel adjustment - can't get a comfortable position when my leg to pedal adjustment is right - I have to reach far for the steering wheel - my knees actually bump the steering column.
5) The rear quarter panels are extremely cheap looking...even with the Preimum package - they are just cheap plastic - should at least match the door inserts
6) Interior lighting - there just isn't any - I've added footwell and lower door lights.
7) Other available options such as HomeLink, memory seats, etc.
8) Better/more sound insulation.....too much road noise gets into the cabin - I've added Dynamat Extreme to the floor, trunk, doors, firewall and it makes a hugh difference - sounds much more quality - now all I hear are the engine and exhaust (just like it should be)

Now after saying that - I really like this new Mustang and feel it is the best Mustang in a long time - possible ever!!
Bradley,

That Dynamat Extreme sounds like a good idea.

Could you direct me to your source?

TIA

Tom
Old 9/24/05, 07:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP@September 24, 2005, 9:59 AM

LIST
I fully agree with HotLap.

I would have gladly paid for these items as part of a premium package.

Part of the Mustang retro audience includes baby boomers who expect these items at a minimum in any car. And they can afford it.
Old 9/24/05, 07:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

the open 7.5 rear on the V6 (I think with 210hp & 240 lbtq should get at least an open 8.8 to still be different from the GT)

The plastic from the front headlights, they look a a bit scratchy and I can tell they will fade early.
Old 9/25/05, 11:55 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1:The carpet "scotchbrite black" I call it this was the kind of material you used to find in the trunk of the car NOT the interior :nono:
2:Shaker radio is cheap garbage ,on number 3 radio now and its starting to skip again .

Other than a few missed /wrong parts and TSB,s for the stang I am very happy with the looks ,safety,performace and even gas milage of this car ,I figure this car is going to be a collectable classic in the future and is well worth the money
Old 9/25/05, 03:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Ditto on the Shaker (I'll assume they all do it)
They don't blend the songs on store bought CD's where it would normally be a seamless transition from song to song.
(btw you guys have this too right, as far as I know they all do it)
I've gotten one can't read case, but Its read after so for now I've let it pass.
Old 9/26/05, 04:01 AM
Cobra Member

1. very cheap plastic on door panels
2. surprisingly cheap materials in the trunk lining

P.S.: I DO love my car and still enjoy driving it every single day