2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Troubleshoot and repair 2005 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/15, 10:24 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,629 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex

I put back the 2 piece and regret *nothing*. Mainly because I also put that anti-sieze on 'em so they're unlikely to get welded again like the first time.
But you should still follow the Ford TSB procedure just to be on the safe side anyhow.. As I'll still spray Motorcraft carb cleaner in each spark plug well and let each plug soak between 20-30 min before extracting by using between 1/8-1/4 turns back and forth until they become loose enough to remove by hand..

Now that I'm running forced induction, I have to use Autolite HT0 1 degree colder spark plugs and change them every 30k miles..
Old 5/14/15, 08:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Oh, indeed. I will be doin' that procedure (assuming she gets to about 200K and still purrin' along, which... well, we'll see, won't we?), just sayin' I have confidence it ain't gonna be a problem is all.
Old 5/14/15, 09:02 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Chris ! I really hate to inform you of this, but all pre 2008 models including the 3 valve F-150 and Mustang still use the old style 2 piece design plugs..

Ford does not offer a new one piece design spark plug for the 2005- mid 2008 models, as they did not change the plug design in addition to revising the 3 valve head design until after mid 2008..

I don't know where you got this info from ? However it is not accurate at all and as far as I know only Champion, Brisk Racing and MSD make one piece design plugs for the 2005-mid 2008 3 valve Mustang and F-150..
Well lets clarify a bit. The info came from AllData and i have physically bought the plugs from a local Advanced. i never said they were one piece i just said you need the "new style". Which is an updated two piece plug that is reinforced to prevent breaking. Its the same plug Ford will put in if done at the dealer. I only included that info as both part numbers "factory style" and the "redesign" are still listed in their system at the local parts houses they actually tried to sell me 4 of each.
Old 5/14/15, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 09-gt/cs
Well lets clarify a bit. The info came from AllData and i have physically bought the plugs from a local Advanced. i never said they were one piece i just said you need the "new style". Which is an updated two piece plug that is reinforced to prevent breaking. Its the same plug Ford will put in if done at the dealer. I only included that info as both part numbers "factory style" and the "redesign" are still listed in their system at the local parts houses they actually tried to sell me 4 of each.
Well of course Ford is going to tell you that lol. It's called marketing, however if you really want to get technical about it ? All Ford really did was change the part number for the same old 2 piece designed spark plugs..

Therefore if you really trust Ford's marketing spin and believe they really updated the 2 piece spark plug design and reinforced them to prevent from breaking ? Then I challenge you to extract them without following the recommended TSB procedure and then see for yourself if none of them end up breaking..

Perhaps you might be willing to take that risk ? but not me and if Ford was really dedicated to designing a better reinforced spark plug in order to prevent from breaking inside the head ? They would've designed a 16mm high threaded one piece spark plug instead..

With that being said.. If Champion, Brisk Racing and MSD can design a high threaded 16mm one piece spark plug ? Then why in the hell can't Ford do the same

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/14/15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 5/15/15, 12:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Well of course Ford is going to tell you that lol. It's called marketing, however if you really want to get technical about it ? All Ford really did was change the part number for the same old 2 piece designed spark plugs..

Therefore if you really trust Ford's marketing spin and believe they really updated the 2 piece spark plug design and reinforced them to prevent from breaking ? Then I challenge you to extract them without following the recommended TSB procedure and then see for yourself if none of them end up breaking..

Perhaps you might be willing to take that risk ? but not me and if Ford was really dedicated to designing a better reinforced spark plug in order to prevent from breaking inside the head ? They would've designed a 16mm high threaded one piece spark plug instead..

With that being said.. If Champion, Brisk Racing and MSD can design a high threaded 16mm one piece spark plug ? Then why in the hell can't Ford do the same

Ford doesn't care about wasting R&D on an engine design for 2005-2007.5, they have moved on...

I went with the Motorcraft SP514 same old, same old, crappy 2 piece design but used the nickel anti-seize so hopefully next time I'll be able to get the plugs out easier than the last.

Motorcraft plugs here:
Amazon.com: Motorcraft SP-514 Spark Plug: Automotive Amazon.com: Motorcraft SP-514 Spark Plug: Automotive

Lisle broken plug remover here:
Amazon.com: Lisle (LIS65600) Broken Spark Plug Remover for Ford Triton 3 Valve Engines: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle (LIS65600) Broken Spark Plug Remover for Ford Triton 3 Valve Engines: Automotive

Then use Houtex's directions to get the plugs out. Using the tool and Houtex's help really did wonders - the dealer wanted $800 to change the plugs! I did the job myself for about a buck fifty.

Assume the plugs will break. Assume the new plugs will break. It's a crappy design. We either deal with it or just go buy a 2015.
Old 5/15/15, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Ford doesn't care about wasting R&D on an engine design for 2005-2007.5, they have moved on...
That's for d@mn sure lol.

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I went with the Motorcraft SP514 same old, same old, crappy 2 piece design but used the nickel anti-seize so hopefully next time I'll be able to get the plugs out easier than the last.
I also use Motorcraft high temp nickel anti-seize as well, however I have to run a 1 degree colder plug due to being forced inducted, so I've since upgraded to Autolite HT0 spark plugs, but unfortunately they're also a 2 piece designed plug

Anyhow you may find this tool interesting and perhaps as an alternative for the Lisle broken spark plug extractor..

OTC tools claims their product is actually designed to prevent 2 piece plugs from breaking to begin with, however they do include an extractor similar to the Lisle kit just in case any plugs do happen to break..

Here's the link below..

http://www.otctools.com/products/for...it-triton-3v-0

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/15/15 at 09:13 AM.
Old 5/15/15, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It looks like a real cool tool.

Probably won't really prevent the breakage, though.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6918-Spark...owViewpoints=0

I also went to OTC's website and watched their video on it. And while it sure looks like it'd work... eh. I can also see why those guys said what they said too.

And then you'll need the Lisle tool anyway, in that case, 'cause that 'other method' thing probably aint' gonna work, because if it didn't come out the first tool's way, there ain't no chance it is comin' out the second, IMO.

Someone get some of these things stuck and try it for reals.

But you know, for another $70 bucks plus shippin'... maybe it'd be worth a try.
Old 5/15/15, 09:09 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
That's for d@mn sure lol.

I also use Motorcraft high temp nickel anti-seize as well, however I have to run a 1 degree colder plug due to being forced inducted, so I've since upgraded to Autolite HT0 spark plugs, but unfortunately they're also a 2 piece designed plug

Anyhow you may find this tool interesting and perhaps as an alternative for the Lisle broken spark plug extractor..

OTC tools claims their product is actually designed to prevent 2 piece plugs from breaking to begin with, however they do include an extractor similar to the Lisle kit just in case any plugs do happen to break..

Here's the link below..

http://www.otctools.com/products/for...it-triton-3v-0
cool- hadnt seen that one, thank you- just bought one
Old 5/16/15, 04:30 PM

It looks like a real cool tool.

Probably won't really prevent the breakage, though.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6918-Spark...owViewpoints=0

I also went to OTC's website and watched their video on it. And while it sure looks like it'd work... eh. I can also see why those guys said what they said too.

And then you'll need the Lisle tool anyway, in that case, 'cause that 'other method' thing probably aint' gonna work, because if it didn't come out the first tool's way, there ain't no chance it is comin' out the second, IMO.

Someone get some of these things stuck and try it for reals.

But you know, for another $70 bucks plus shippin'... maybe it'd be worth a try.
After reading the 20+negative reviews on Amazon ! I now have second thoughts about purchasing the OTC tool.. So if I going to spend $70.00+ shipping for a spark plug removal tool ? I want to make sure it's going to do exactly as it's advertised to do and work..

Therefore I'll just go ahead and order the Lisle spark plug tool instead, and thanks for the heads up Houtex

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/16/15 at 04:32 PM.
Old 5/16/15, 08:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No prob!

I didn't mean to say it's a junk tool. I think compared to the spark plug socket, heck yes, it might actually be worth it. So I am still sorta wafflin' over getting it because it's just a little better than the thin wall socket, IMO.

So having both might be a thing to do? I have my Lisle tool, so... probably won't. But if I didn't have the thin wall socket already... I might do it.

Last edited by houtex; 5/16/15 at 08:09 PM.
Old 5/16/15, 08:46 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
got both, whenever I get around to it will report back- will use the OTC instead of a socket to try and remove- cant hurt, but the lisle will be handy just in case...72k on mine, they ought to be in there pretty good

gotta order some MSDs
Old 5/16/15, 10:54 PM

No prob!

I didn't mean to say it's a junk tool. I think compared to the spark plug socket, heck yes, it might actually be worth it. So I am still sorta wafflin' over getting it because it's just a little better than the thin wall socket, IMO.

So having both might be a thing to do? I have my Lisle tool, so... probably won't. But if I didn't have the thin wall socket already... I might do it.
You just brought up another good point, as anything is definitely better than using a thin wall socket, so perhaps despite the negative reviews on Amazon, the OTC tool may still be worth investing in afterall, in addition to the Lisle tool for backup as well
Old 5/16/15, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by ford4v429
got both, whenever I get around to it will report back- will use the OTC instead of a socket to try and remove- cant hurt, but the lisle will be handy just in case...72k on mine, they ought to be in there pretty good

gotta order some MSDs
That's a very great idea indeed Tim ! As I also mentioned to Houtex, anything is better than using a thin wall socket.. Therefore it certainly can't hurt to invest in the OTC tool and also have the Lisle tool handy for backup just in case..

I also looked into the MSD one piece plugs, but unfortunately they don't make a 1 degree colder plug for supercharged applications, so it looks like I'm stuck with the 2 piece Autolite HT0's