2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshoot and repair 2005 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/15, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troubleshoot and repair 2005 Mustang GT

Hello all, I am a recent owner of a 2005 Mustang GT. What I am posting about is help in becoming more mechanically inclined. There is some recent issues going on with my Mustang and i am hoping for some help in regards to whar is going on. The reason I am posting is due to tight funds, and I am skeptical of taking it to a mechanic for added cost. I am able to provide what is going in with my Mustang, and the codes that are being thrown by the computer. The added benefit of asking for help is that I will of course learn mechanic skills that will help me in the long run.

Last edited by onejmn; 5/12/15 at 07:00 AM.
Old 5/11/15, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Well do tell us the codes and the systems... Also Welcome to TMS
Old 5/11/15, 07:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Welcome and best of luck!
Old 5/11/15, 07:32 PM

Thank you for the welcomes. The code that is being thrown is a P0430. I already changed an 02 sensor for process of elemination, but on top of that it sounds like there may be a misfire, as well as engine tick. Another issue is there is a faint smell of gas fumes when I turn the AC on, as well as a faint smell of gas whenever I look under the hood. I already got under the car and didn't see any visible leaks, so I'm at a loss for what is causing it.
Old 5/11/15, 10:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
What you are seeing is there is a leaky injector on the side in question. Replace all four, and the problem may solve itself. Unless yer a wizard, Harry, and can figure out which is the leaky one and just replace it. (Be sure to understand how to depressurize the fuel rails and take all that apart before you tackle that, ok? Ok.)

However, the damage may be done. The side effect of an overabundance of gasoline in a/some cylinder(s), which would indeed cause the misfire on its own, may also then hit the substrate in the catalytic converter, and then light off in the converter, causing the melting, clogging, and/or breaking, and that will cause failure of the cat to work. This throws the code.

Source: Happened on my HoopTBird. Wound up replacing all six of them, and it was still too late. Killed all three cats. :/ That was a fun day, gettin' those replaced.
Old 5/12/15, 06:58 AM

Thank you for the help. I'll just replace all of them and check the lines just to make sure. I know there are videos around the Internet that will help explain the process, but just to make sure I know I am looking in the right direction, where can I expect them to be located at? My knowledge of mechanics isn't that great, and all I've learned with my car so far is looking up how to videos and asking for help from others. I have very limited knowledge on engines.
Old 5/12/15, 07:26 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are by the upper intake you will see a stainless rail with a rubber hose marked fuel or flammable going into that rail then four tubes clipped into each rail each tube will have a wire plugged into it those are the injectors.

Last edited by 09-gt/cs; 5/12/15 at 07:27 AM.
Old 5/12/15, 08:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Now, this is Scotty Kilmer, a local dude in Houston, but his videos, while quirky, are good info. Generic enough that you get the idea.

Also, shop manual. Worth it if you wanna learn.

But what he does in this video is pretty much the way injectors are, so I do hope it helps!
Old 5/12/15, 12:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

but thats a toyota
Old 5/12/15, 12:37 PM

I found the fuel injectors, so this weekend I am going to change them out as well as my spark plugs. Might as well. I know I have to get a 15mm soft head, and Anti-Seize, but the fuel injectors I'll have to figure out. Does the metal bar screw in? Or is there another way to remove both of them so I can replace the fuel injectors?
Old 5/12/15, 01:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The fuel rail is screwed/bolted down. Read up on changing the plugs. Its not cut and dried with the 3 valve 4.6's. In fact it can be scary
Old 5/12/15, 01:11 PM

I'm open to suggestions. I am aware of people mentioning finding the fuel return and run the car with the pump off until it dies to let out all the pressure.
Old 5/12/15, 05:33 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
WHOA-
if not mechanically inclined, PLEASE enlist some help before even thinking of removing the spark plugs- theres simple, but not always effective ways to do it- if you dont already know, 2005-mid 2008 mustang gt heads had the dumbest spark plug ever designed- if you just try to unscrew them, you will snap every one off in the head.

theres TSB procedures in here, but even the best techs will often break a few off- extracting the remains is not something you want to jump into learn on- if something goes wrong, a bit of prcelain gets in the hole, the motor is toast... please enlist help.

sorry, I'm not the kind to stifle anyone from trying to learn anything- but Ive rebuilt engines and automatic transmissions, and still cringe at the thought of pulling the plugs out of my 06... I'll have to do it eventually, but will probably put off till winter (again) so if things go real bad, I wont miss out on the summertime driving at all

kudos for wanting to dig in though- best way to learn in my opinion, just dont want to learn the hard way that something as (normally) simple as changing plugs can turn into a 500.00+ bailout...or way more if the head has to come off...

I think extraction often comes down to luck, quality of fuel burned, if car was ran hard enough to keep carbon buildup minimal, who knows... good luck
tim
Old 5/12/15, 06:21 PM

I've changed spark plugs before, however I must be honest in telling you that it was on an older model of vehicle. I will look up the TSB regulations and ask for help, so that there is a less of a chance for things to go wrong. Thank you for your stand point though. All suggestions are welcome. The local populace that have Mustangs in my general area are unfortunately of no help. None of them know how to work on their own Mustang. Which is why I resorted to here. I want the satisfaction of being able to confidently be able to help others with their own Mustang. Plus side, I get more knowledge base and learning the ins and outs of a Mustang.
Old 5/12/15, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The spark plug how to, by yours truly, for the two piece Triton plug heads such as on 2005-2008.5 Mustangs.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-plugs-522706/

It was well received, and hope it helps!

---

Regarding the fuel... you pull the fuel pump fuse.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=315&viewfil...%20Release.pdf

This had the shop manual 'way of doing it'.

And this here has the info all about the fuel rails and the injectors:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=195

---

Now, as to the spark plugs... if you do not have *NICKEL* anti-seize... Get some. DO NOT substitute. Metallurgical issues (aka, dissimilar metals will do... things.) It's not the temperature, it's the alchemy of them that's the deal on that.

Also invest in some blue loctite, and for the fuel injector harness plugs and/or the coil pack harness plugs, small, thin tie wraps, 'cause some of those clips are gonna break, so that's how you keep them on.

---

Glenn... Indeed, it is a Toyota. And if someone had made a good Ford 4.6L 2005-2010 Mustang engine injector video, I'da done it. So here's your opportunity, dude, go for it!

Last edited by houtex; 5/12/15 at 08:09 PM.
Old 5/12/15, 08:41 PM

Thank you for the links. I will definitely be using those for reference so this process will go more smoothly.
Old 5/13/15, 08:28 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a look into the broken plug tool. Lisle makes a good one and it will save you if you accidentally break one. I split one with my brother since he has a 08 f150 and we both need new plugs. If you don't want to buy it most part stores have one you can rent. Also when buying the new plugs make sure you get the new style the are not supposed to break. Some parts stores still have the old 2 piece plugs hanging around so make sure to get the new ones no since in going through all the trouble again when it needs plugs next time.
Old 5/13/15, 08:41 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,606 Posts
Here's something that you might find very interesting ? Check out the link below for OTC tools.. They also have 3 videos for 3 valve spark plug removal

http://www.otctools.com/products/for...it-triton-3v-0
Old 5/13/15, 08:59 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,606 Posts
Originally Posted by 09-gt/cs
Take a look into the broken plug tool. Lisle makes a good one and it will save you if you accidentally break one. I split one with my brother since he has a 08 f150 and we both need new plugs. If you don't want to buy it most part stores have one you can rent. Also when buying the new plugs make sure you get the new style the are not supposed to break. Some parts stores still have the old 2 piece plugs hanging around so make sure to get the new ones no since in going through all the trouble again when it needs plugs next time.
Chris ! I really hate to inform you of this, but all pre 2008 models including the 3 valve F-150 and Mustang still use the old style 2 piece design plugs..

Ford does not offer a new one piece design spark plug for the 2005- mid 2008 models, as they did not change the plug design in addition to revising the 3 valve head design until after mid 2008..

I don't know where you got this info from ? However it is not accurate at all and as far as I know only Champion, Brisk Racing and MSD make one piece design plugs for the 2005-mid 2008 3 valve Mustang and F-150..
Old 5/13/15, 09:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I put back the 2 piece and regret *nothing*. Mainly because I also put that anti-sieze on 'em so they're unlikely to get welded again like the first time.

Quick Reply: Troubleshoot and repair 2005 Mustang GT