Sponsored by:

TPMS Question....Help !!

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/10, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS Question....Help !!

Hello,

Need some advise from all you experts out there

A few years ago I bought an almost new set of stock 17" Bright Machined Aluminum wheels (tires/rims) off an 07 GT, to replace my stock 17" Painted Aluminum wheels {I like the look of the machined wheels better}....the aluminum rims have some minor "road rash" so I plan to have the rims remachined so they look brand new and then have them installed...

My concern and questions are this, I am assuming the Machined aluminum tires will still have the TPMS installed inside the rims, when they take the tire off the rim will they have to remove the TPMS as well? Once I install the new rims will the TPMS work (since the tires and rims are off an 07 GT vs my 06 GT)? Or will I have to swap out the TPMS from my original rims and have them reinstalled on the new rims ?

Any help to these questions is appreciated, as I was not able to find much info off the net

Thanks

K
Old 11/6/10, 09:04 PM
Cobra Member

i wish i knew that answer to that but if i were you i'd just take the sensor off the old wheels and apply them on the new wheels...just to be safe and so it hopefully still works.
Old 11/6/10, 10:40 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
theres a procedure to relearn the sensors...something like key on/of, tap brake pedal, key on /off three more times, the horn chirps, then you need a little keyfob thing that activates each wheel, I got one off ebay for like ten bucks...I'll try to find the actual procedure and post a link unless someone else does first.
I didnt know 06's had tpms...must have been after midyyear or something?
Old 11/6/10, 10:49 PM
legacy Tms Member

heres what came with the tool I got from ebay-

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
Press and release the brake pedal.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool must remain in place 180 degrees from the valve stem.

Place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the LF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB.

Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the RF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.

And your done. You didn't touch your old wheels so you are free to switch back any time you like, for free. All you have to do is reprogram the sensors for the car.

Old 11/6/10, 10:58 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I didn't think '06s came with TPMS. Therefore you car doesn't even know they're there or not.

But I may be wrong.
Old 11/6/10, 11:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
+2

I thought TPMS started in '07. MAybe late '06 is reasonable.
Old 11/7/10, 01:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

like others have said, i don't think your car has tpms.

i was looking online and the 2006 manual doesn't go into detail about the tpms like the 2007 manual does.

it may be different in canada, but i think even the later 06's didn't have tpms here.
Old 11/7/10, 05:06 AM

Hmmm, wasn't aware that 06's didn't have TPMS, will have to check with Ford Canada, to see if ponycars delivered up here were required to have it for the 06MY...anymore info and opinions you can post is appreciated....thanks again everyone....

Last edited by Dash 7; 11/7/10 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11/7/10, 05:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool TPMS News:

Heres some TPMS news: I read somewhere on one of the Mustang blogs, that the TPMS sensors all have long life batteries in them and those will begin to fail at about 5-6 years out from new? Does anyone have the correct Ford info on that one. If true? There could be a run on these little darlings in just a few years? "RC"
Old 11/7/10, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CalStang'07
Heres some TPMS news: I read somewhere on one of the Mustang blogs, that the TPMS sensors all have long life batteries in them and those will begin to fail at about 5-6 years out from new? Does anyone have the correct Ford info on that one. If true? There could be a run on these little darlings in just a few years? "RC"
I hadn't heard the operable life on the batteries, but did read that they were non-replaceable and when the batteries fail, the whole unit needs to be replaced. Hopefully by the time the TPMS batteries start to fail en masse there will be a solution to just turn off the light on the dash.
Old 11/7/10, 07:38 AM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
I hadn't heard the operable life on the batteries, but did read that they were non-replaceable and when the batteries fail, the whole unit needs to be replaced. Hopefully by the time the TPMS batteries start to fail en masse there will be a solution to just turn off the light on the dash.
dont think so...like disabling a airbag, not allowed to do it. wether yours or not, the government knows what we need and if it costs 3-400 every 6 years, too bad. ive read 4-6 years life also, sensors/clips/bands/dismount/balance...guessing 3~400 if a dealer does it. hopefully aftermarket will offer dirt cheap replacements eventually- even wonder if eventually they can glue them right into the tire sidewall- with tech advances, dont think that would be farfetched at all in a few years, that way the tires/batteries could be swapped 'automatically'. with the 'tire age' concerns lately, would not be at all suprised that such a mandate could be coming.
Old 11/7/10, 07:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
dont think so...like disabling a airbag, not allowed to do it. wether yours or not, the government knows what we need and if it costs 3-400 every 6 years, too bad. ive read 4-6 years life also, sensors/clips/bands/dismount/balance...guessing 3~400 if a dealer does it. hopefully aftermarket will offer dirt cheap replacements eventually- even wonder if eventually they can glue them right into the tire sidewall- with tech advances, dont think that would be farfetched at all in a few years, that way the tires/batteries could be swapped 'automatically'. with the 'tire age' concerns lately, would not be at all suprised that such a mandate could be coming.
Actually you are allowed to disable your own airbag, you just can't pay someone else to do it for you except for some special circumstances. The TPMS is probably similar.

I prefer to check my own tire pressure and not have the government tell me I need to have the TPMS on my car (BTW the government doesn't "know what I need"). I don't have sensors in the wheels that are currently on my '08 GT, and the light never comes on as long as I don't travel more than 20 or so miles from home, and since I work 15 miles from home, the light often stays off. When it does come on, I usually just ignore it, but it would be nice to have it stay off.

Last edited by Ministang; 11/7/10 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11/7/10, 08:35 AM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
Actually you are allowed to disable your own airbag, you just can't pay someone else to do it for you except for some special circumstances. The TPMS is probably similar.

I prefer to check my own tire pressure and not have the government tell me I need to have the TPMS on my car (BTW the government doesn't "know what I need"). I don't have sensors in the wheels that are currently on my '08 GT, and the light never comes on as long as I don't travel more than 20 or so miles from home, and since I work 15 miles from home, the light often stays off. When it does come on, I usually just ignore it, but it would be nice to have it stay off.

youre right- I forgot about that...back in the 80's they were busting garages for pulling cats(remember the 'test pipe'), yet you were allowed to DIY...up till they started ECheck anyways.
Funny, I had a 81 dodge pickup I put a 396 chevy in, the pit at the shop that did my exhaust had so many cats piled up in it the guy could hardly walk around...old 'Pepper' was a great exhaust guy, but he sure wasnt worried about getting hit for pulling cats
Old 11/7/10, 11:46 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I have a late (March 2006) '06 without sensors and an early (Aug 2006) '07 with sensors).
I plan to ignore the sensors on the '07 when I change the wheels and tires.
Legally, I am pretty sure neither car needs them since they were both built in 2006.
The mandate is for Late 2007.
Old 11/7/10, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by karman
I have a late (March 2006) '06 without sensors and an early (Aug 2006) '07 with sensors.
I plan to ignore the sensors on the '07 when I change the wheels and tires.
Legally, I am pretty sure neither car needs them since they were both built in 2006.
The mandate is for Late 2007.
IIRC the government mandated start date for TPMS was October of 2007, which for most manufacturers meant that all 2008+ model cars had to have the new type of TPMS. I guess Ford decided to start it a year earlier since I believe most (all?) 2007 Mustangs had TPMS.

I wish manufacturers would be allowed to continue to use a TPMS like my '05 Mini Cooper has. It uses the ABS speed sensors at each corner to check for variations in tire diameter and sets off the TPMS light if it detects low tire pressure. No expensive individual wheel sensors needed, so when I swap back and forth between the 3-4 different sets of wheels and tires I have for it (winter, summer, race) no sensors or learning is needed. Sadly our wonderful government didn't feel this type of system was sufficient and Mini/BMW had to change to the more expensive and intrusive individual wheel sensor setup for 2008. I have had it come on a couple of times when I had a slow leak, and it works well.