Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket for modded mufflers..guys?

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/08, 04:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
If the cop does not have an spl meter how can write you a ticket for a db level? call the chief and fight the ticket in court. Those mufflers are 49 state legal for noise as previously stated. Rev your car on your parents driveway (private property) during non-ordinance hours, my neighbor loves my car. He brings his kids over to see it all the time.
yah, and I gotta live in the ONE goddang state where they aren't!
Old 4/8/08, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mackitraz
Getting to the heart of your comment, I'm not saying the neighbors should suck it up, and I already stated that I don't tend to like extremely loud vehicles. So in my own mind, I initially found myself very sympathetic to the neighbors. But fastmover05 hasn't stated at any point that the neighbors talked to them at any time, he stated there were previous callings of the cops, which you just pointed out. Are we wrong in assuming this fastmover05? I know my neighbors have children, but I have yet to have a single conversation with them. He did state that he likes his car the way it is, but that he recognizes it's loud so he tries to do things to keep it from being noisy around them. I'm assuming, and fastmover05 can correct me here, that they are the only close neighbor so I'm guessing the assumption is that there is no one else who would be doing it. What are the other choices? The Harley people even farther away? He also said he's away at college, so it's not like he's running up and down the street every day at 4 in the morning...

I guess I'm responding the fact that he doesn't seem to be acting out of malice or negative intention toward his neighbors, and yet he's getting it in return. I see this as unfair. I see it as bad form to involve legal action in an attempt to "teach him a lesson." Or make him see the errors of his ways. What would you do if your neighbor decided he wasn't in love with the sound of your Bullitt mufflers (which I love the sound of btw!) and decided you needed a few visits from the local police to give you that impression? If the neighbors want some consideration, IMHO they need to give it, or they need to stop. I'd be curious to know if they have or why they aren't bothering the folks with the motorcycles, considering I'd bet they aren't away at college.
I don't think I'll have a problem with the bullitt (I hope!), as the exhaust is not as loud as an after market exhaust. I guess I don't get how else they know it's waking the baby without having talked about it, unless the cops told him that? But, I do agree calling the cops is over the top. To me calling the cops is a seriously major thing to do to someone, so serious in fact that I have never called the cops on anyone in my life.

I had a similar situation where a neighbor decided they were going to move into my house with me and dictate to me when my alarm was going to off. Did I call the cops? No. But what I did do was make it my next project to make their lives every bit as miserable as they persisted in making mine. That got the message across, it usually does. No need for cops.

Regarding the situation at hand, hopefully they will be able to get it worked out.

Old 4/8/08, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Regarding the situation at hand, hopefully they will be able to get it worked out.
I completely agree with you. It should have been worked out long before cops were involved. That's really where I have a beef with the situation. It just looks like it went from zero to ridiculous with nothing in between. However you have a point, it does look like there was some form of communication there somewhere we might be missing.

And I'm sure your Bullitt wouldn't give anyone problems other than the envy your mufflers would cause me because I really do like the sound...
Old 4/9/08, 03:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Clearly there WERE prior discusssions. I also don't see how they would know it was the neighbor calling the cops if there were no discussions ever. Just sayin'.....

No you did not read there were no discussions. The cop told me she has been calling also she is my only neighbor. that is how I know she called. Anyone else around me is easily 300 yards away. I talked to the harly guys and they say she hasnt called on them before but they are alot further away.

Last edited by fastmover05; 4/9/08 at 03:22 AM.
Old 4/9/08, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I say make your car legal and call it a day, once your car is legal, you can look into harassment if they keep going with calling the cops. Just keep trying not to make too much noise around them, and you have all the grounds in the world to fight or sue them should it come to that. I suspect eventually this will die down.

You might even go so far as to request to speak to someone at your local PD, once you have documented proof that you have a legal exhaust setup that doesn't violate local codes. Or tell someone from the PD that you'd like to know where you can have it tested so you can get them off your back. That way when the neighbors call, the PD will just say "sorry, he's not breaking he law, stop calling."
Old 4/9/08, 10:23 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Well, when I got my car inspected this January, it wasn't at some back-alley shop where they just slap stickers on. My father inspected the car, AND he's had an inspection license for many years, and it passed with flying colors. In PA, you need cats, and no CEL's when doing the test. I passed both requirements.
You missed my point. Passing emissions and being legal aren't the same thing. In some states you will pass, in some others you won't. I'll pass here in AZ with some modifications (MIL eliminators) when the time comes.

Longtube headers are illegal for sale on pollution controlled vehicles in ALL 50 states. They are intended for off highway use only. There is a reason that all longtube headers come with that very disclaimer.

The reason they are illegal, is because they change the location of the catalytic convertors. Changing, replacing or otherwise tampering with the stock catalytic convertors is against Federal Law. Aftermarket cats are also illegal.

However, testing is inconsistent across the states if there is any testing at all. That's the enforcement "loophole" we all take advantage of.
Old 4/9/08, 11:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SixtySix
You missed my point. Passing emissions and being legal aren't the same thing. In some states you will pass, in some others you won't. I'll pass here in AZ with some modifications (MIL eliminators) when the time comes.

Longtube headers are illegal for sale on pollution controlled vehicles in ALL 50 states. They are intended for off highway use only. There is a reason that all longtube headers come with that very disclaimer.

The reason they are illegal, is because they change the location of the catalytic convertors. Changing, replacing or otherwise tampering with the stock catalytic convertors is against Federal Law. Aftermarket cats are also illegal.

However, testing is inconsistent across the states if there is any testing at all. That's the enforcement "loophole" we all take advantage of.
And I am thankful for that loophole. I would NEVER go back to my stock manifold setup ever again!!
Old 4/9/08, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Chevrolet has already solved the problem. The '08 Vette offers a modded factory exhaust system (two tips on each side) where you can keep the sound at a decent and acceptable level with only one tip on each side open...and then all you do is push a button on your key FOB and presto the other two tips open and believe me you can definitely hear the difference. So you could easily keep it in a "stock" mode when your near your neighbors and then at the touch of a button, go wild!
My neighbor has an '08 Vette with this optional exhaust. My '01 Vette has the stock exhaust (rather quiet, but finally did open up around 5K miles).

Last edited by Mark S.; 4/9/08 at 07:45 PM.
Old 4/9/08, 09:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Rebel73
yah, and I gotta live in the ONE goddang state where they aren't!
They have ones that are 50 state legal on the site somewhere, or at least used to
Old 4/9/08, 09:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix

Longtube headers are illegal for sale on pollution controll....
They are illegal for use. The stock cats need to stay in the same factory location, for the life of the vehicle. That didn't stop me.

Emissions due date: January 2009
Mil Eliminators to be installed by: December 31st 2008
Old 4/10/08, 05:23 AM
V6 Member

why don't the OP try to be a good neighbor and get it up into a higher gear as soon as he can when he is in the hood? Wouldn't that solve the problem and he can still stay ticket free and keep the exhaust he wants?

Maybe if he had a baby in his house and th eshow was on the other foot he would see this situation in a different light..
Old 4/12/08, 02:10 PM
V6 Member

I have pypes o/r x and pypes violators and got a modified muffler ticket. I didn't argue with him it was only like $30 bucks and didn't go on my record. After all, I did take off my cats