2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket for modded mufflers..guys?

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/08, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ticket for modded mufflers..guys?

Yeah so it turns out my neighbor just adopeted a new babay and my Stinger O/H H has been waking it up.. So she has been calling the cops every time I go to visit my parents right? So this morning Im leaving to go back up to college and bingo I see him waiting for me (the cop) and when he sees me he jumps on the gas and comes flyin after me. Im thinking oh $#it this is great. He pulls me over and after complementing my stang (this is the only good part) saying it was beautiful, sexy and even calling it a beast!! YES!! So asks me if i have moddified mufflers. I tell him yes and he asks for all the info. Then on the way back to his car he turns back and tells me that my insurance is expired!! (just the card not the actual insurance policy) Turns out my insurance card expired yesterday!! So anyway he ends up writing me a ticket for the mufflers and says that he could have towed the car for the insurance thing but was nice enough not to because i didnt lie about the modded mufflers. Anyway, he didnt seem to know very much about the exhaust sytem of a car and now Im confused. If I leave the stingers on their but take of the h pipe is that leagal? Only the h pipe is illegal due to it being o/r only (no cats). What if i change it and the neighbors keep calling on me? I kept trying to explain to him that the mufflers were leagal and that it was the h pipe and that id take it off. Then he told me that he had the right to pull me over because he could "see" the modded mufflers. So anyone who changes their mufflers can be issued a ticket then!?!?!?!?! That makes no sense. All in all me and the cop actually got along well and he seemed sad that he had to do it and everything I just dont think he knew exactly what on the car was illegal or what to change or what not. I dunno.
Old 4/6/08, 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What state are you in?
Old 4/6/08, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The H pipe is illegal because of emission standards but he could not see that. As for the mufflers it is not illeagal to have modded mufflers as long as they do not violate the rules of your state or city noise pollution ordnance. These rules are regulated in reference to a certain limit on decibals at a certain distance. Your neighbor can call and complain as much as she wants as long as you are within that limit. Most aftermarket mufflers meet those standards. Motorcycles in general are a whole lot more louder than cars even if they have modded mufflers and they are within the legal limit. Look up the law in your area.
Old 4/6/08, 02:54 PM
Banned

Here is an example of a noise polution law:

1. Noise measured in excess of 50 dBa between the hours of 11:00 p.m.. and 7:00 a.m.., or in excess of 70 dBa at all other hours; or
2. In the absence of an applicable noise level standard or regulation of the Air Pollution control commission, any noise plainly audible at a distance of three hundred (300) feet or, in the case of loud amplification devices of similar equipment, noise plainly audible at a distance of one hundred (100) feet from its source by a person of normal hearing. lord. Tl4 § 354; Ord, 1991 c. 4 § ii
Old 4/6/08, 04:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Those same mufflers-Stingers are available from any dealership when you buy the car new.You should have told the cop they came on the car new. You should hear my neighbors diesel P.U. everyday he fires that baby up.He running 4" stacks and very loud.Oh well.
I bet most Harley's are louder than your Stang.Do you know any bikers,,just have them parade by your house someday about 7:00 amI would be happy to help you with that since we live nearby.(naw,I wouldn't want to wake the baby)

...i know we could trade mufflers..yeah

Last edited by Poco; 4/6/08 at 04:31 PM.
Old 4/6/08, 04:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have the Stingers and carry a copy of their info saying that they are legal in all states but CA in my console since we do have a number of roadchecks around here. Not a guarantee of a walk but can't hurt.
Old 4/6/08, 05:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

I know what it's like to have a neighbor like this. He had the cops come after me too. I just put my comp cats back on and the rest of my setup is legal but still loud.
Now as punishment, I let my car warm for 2 to 3 minutes in the driveway before work at 6a.m (as long as I'm not late), and then rev it a few times before I leave.
They tried to get the cops after me again but I had proof in the car that all parts of my setup are legal. The same cops gave me an attitude and said they were going to "cut me a break this time". I told showed them the info and told him that I would beat him in court without breaking a sweat. They didn't do anything.

Oh and by the way, if my neighbor would have just come to me and politely told me that I was to noisy I would have backed into the garage and quickly left every morning just to be as quiet as possible.

Last edited by ryan1112; 4/6/08 at 05:16 PM.
Old 4/6/08, 05:45 PM

Federal law states that oem cats must be in place for 8 years. Get cocky with a cop about your setup & you might watch your car go away on a flatbed. Best thing to do is be respectful in your own neighborhood and enjoy the noise on the highway where you are less likely to **** someone off.
Old 4/6/08, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I live in colorado and the laws around here arent that strict. I was very respectful and everything it just pisses me off. I mean seriously I only have 1 real neighbor and their house is litterally a hundred feet away. I try to be queit even. Sometimes if Im home late or early I will even cut the engine in neutral and roll up to the house. And just up the street their are two guys that have harleys. I mean its a huge joke. I think the cop thought so to but couldnt say it. I could tell by his attitude. So now Im stuck here trying to figure out what to do. I put this setup on because all of my buddies have their ricers and when I roll up rubling they just sit and drool. I mean its probably one of the best sounding cars ive ever heard. But no i have to take the h off. I know it will still sound good but not as beastly.
Old 4/6/08, 06:52 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would just put some highflow cats if it were me...
Old 4/6/08, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

hmm what are the best hi flow cats around? Thats one thing I love about my stup now, its loud yet refined, not scratchy or coarse.
Old 4/6/08, 07:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm normally really nice to the police. I've gotten a ticket or two in my time and I was always respectful and polite. It's just when these cops got an attitude with me and I went through this whole discussion with Bassani about staying legal that I lost me cool a little.
If I get caught speeding or whatever, it's my fault and I'll deal with it. I even put the cats on when I got caught running without them and they still harrassed me. People with pickup trucks that are 3 times the volume of my car never get bothered.
Old 4/6/08, 08:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think your neighbor needs to get a life, and worry about raising their new baby! He's calling the cops and they are coming out on a noise pollution call, when they could be watching for speeders and more serious things. About your setup, I would take the o/f pipe off, get some hi-flow cats, and keep the Stingers on the car. The Stingers are totally 100% street legal. If they call the cops again, you tell him the setup you got. If he needs proof, he can see the cats from under the car.

As for cops? I'm in PA, and never had any issues with them and my setup is pretty stinking loud! I hit 105 dbs at a sound off competition that was held at a car show, and I have cats!! Now, with that said, its a totally street and emissions legal setup. L/Ts, catted H, with Borlas. I don't go looking for trouble when I cruise or am heading to a show. If I see a cop outside by the road, and I'm in 3rd ready to pass him, I upshift to 4th as its a quiet gear. Only had 1 scare, when I saw a cop turn his head when I passed him at 35 in 3rd, and half throttle. Thought my luck ran out, but he didn't radio it to his co-workers down the street. Again, just put on hi-flows, and keep the Borlas. If the neighbor had any class and was friendly, they would have came to you 1st, and you could have worked out a compromise before making a call to the cops. Good luck.
Old 4/6/08, 08:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I sure hope not a single crime happened while the officer was spending so much time over your mufflers.
Old 4/6/08, 08:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Around here we have Ministry of the Environment cops that drive around and can test you roadside (I think) for emissions. Mostly they do the gunky old tractor trailers and uhauls but I guess if you were running no cats they could write you/tow you.
Old 4/6/08, 08:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They send those guys to China to check up on the next 1000 coal power plants they are building in the next decade, that or they need to write up the next erupting volcano.
Old 4/6/08, 09:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I knew the O/R h is illegal because it has no cats but Im affraid that if i drop the o/r h and put the stock one off and she calls on me again....if its the smae cop and he didnt understand it the first time he could tow my stang.. this whole thing is just rediculous i mean i take alot of steps to only drive during the day, not rev when im near the house, i go as far as killing the engine and coasting in in neutral just to get hit with a 25 dollar ticket. I photocopied the ticket and framed it on my wall and it looks great! but still unnecessary.
Old 4/6/08, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

hey 05fordgt thanks for the support and where can I get into one of these sound of competitions? Id like to check that out someday. Did you by chance get your stang up in oregon? longshot but your pic looks reminiscent.
Old 4/6/08, 09:59 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Your neighbor needs a life, he's just jealous. He shoulda come talk to you first. The neighbors up where we keep the racecar (rediculously loud) and our '56 Chevy 210 (real loud) actually like it when we crank them up, and rev it...and that one time we attempted doing a burnout in the shop.

I'd hate to do it, but I'd take off the O/R H and keep paperwork with me stating the rest is legal
Old 4/6/08, 10:58 PM
Cobra R Member

If the cop does not have an spl meter how can write you a ticket for a db level? call the chief and fight the ticket in court. Those mufflers are 49 state legal for noise as previously stated. Rev your car on your parents driveway (private property) during non-ordinance hours, my neighbor loves my car. He brings his kids over to see it all the time.

Quick Reply: Ticket for modded mufflers..guys?