2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Throwing in the towel

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/05, 08:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JZInternet@May 2, 2005, 7:40 PM
Do what I did and save yourself some grey hairs. Forget that order and go buy one off the lot. I actually like the car I bought off the lot better than my order if that's possible. (it was exactly the same except it was a vert)

Good luck on what ever you do. By the way I ordered my back in mid Jan and the dealer says my order is still C/U. Meanwhile I have been cruising around in my new gt for a month.

with the top down about 4 days-----------in michigan, the weather looks to break again this weekend----------
Old 5/2/05, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Well,

I completely understand your frustration.

There are a lot of nice cars out there to chose from.

1) GTO - Fast, cheap ( Delaers selling them several grand below MSRP ), but very ugly.... This is the car if you want to win money street racing. Remove the GTO logo and most will think grand am or caviler...

2) 05-06 Vett.... Very Nice, but much more expensive... Performance of the 06 is sweet...

3) 04 Mazda Speed turbo Miata. Local dealer has several new 04' for around 20K. Must be under 6' tall however...

4) Chrystler 300c, Magnum, Crossfire.... All nice cars at different price levels...

5) Nissan 350z... Nearly as fast as the Mustang and redaly avaliable. Handles good. Only a few grand more...

6) Honda S2000. It is great fun to drive. Like a 4 wheel street bike... Must be under 5-10" to be comfortable...Very small

7) Infinity G36 sport coup... Luxury version of the 350z with nice performance... A little pricy...

8) Porsche Boxter S.. A blast to drive. Actually sound better than the stock 05 GT in my opinion ( saying a lot ) ... Very expensive, but a lot of good prices on used models. This was my second choice to the stang... 02+ are the best models as they have glass rear window....

9) New Lotus Elise...Kind of like the S2000, but with more attidude... Quite pricy...

10) Get an 05 V6 Mustang vert and enjoy the cruse....
Old 5/2/05, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

If you are going to throw in the towel on your order, that doesn't mean you have to throw in the towel on a Mustang. Most cars are bought off the lot, not ordered. If you are going to look at another option, you are probably looking off the lot, so I would consider looking at lot Mustangs as my second tier option.

Tell you dealer to look for you and tell him you will travel - or just do it yourself if you want to. Lots of people on the board have already recommended dealers that have cars. I am sure TMSers would be great spotters for you if you told them your range. You know: "Gotta be a GT. Gotta be Auto. Black is first choice, but Mineral Gray and Redfire would be good too. Charcoal interior. Shaker 1000 is okay, but 500 is better." People on the board know how hard this is, we all want everyone to get a car and we know the dealers we like.

I would hate to see you buy a lot car that isn't a Mustang just because of the allocation system this year.
Old 5/2/05, 09:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is Week 12 of My Wait.
I've only called the Dealer once to check on any progress.
Prediction:
As summer comes, more and more Post like this will appear.
Peoples patience will run out and they will rightly or wrongly
blame Ford, Dealer or Faith on their lack of Wheels.
Many will not be back to play this Song again.

Old 5/2/05, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I mean... If you wanted to get your car and road trip in the bargain, you could get a one way ticket to San Diego. There are three black GTs (two coupes and one vert) at Encinitas Ford. Check it here on about page 15. B)
Old 5/2/05, 10:00 PM
GT Member

I ordered Feb 12th. I was told (not in writting) 8 to 10 weeks. I'm still C/U. Can I get my $1300 back?
Old 5/3/05, 06:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here is my advise to anyone who is tired of waiting. Go to the dealer, get your deposit back, request a receipt from the order input system that the order was cancelled, order an 06 or some other make. That would cut down the cars in the system and hopefully get mine built faster or for sure built. Even though it has been 12 weeks I don't mind the wait. The way I see it, it gives me more to figure out the mods I like and don't like that I see on TMS and to weigh the pros and cons of each.

I think I read it on before but, does anyone really think if another auto maker had a car commanding the market the way the 05 GT is they would be doing any better at getting them out. I also would hazard to bet that the other makers have some type of allotments system also.
Old 5/3/05, 06:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Eleanor Dreaming@May 3, 2005, 6:36 AM
Here is my advise to anyone who is tired of waiting. Go to the dealer, get your deposit back, request a receipt from the order input system that the order was cancelled, order an 06 or some other make. That would cut down the cars in the system and hopefully get mine built faster or for sure built. Even though it has been 12 weeks I don't mind the wait. The way I see it, it gives me more to figure out the mods I like and don't like that I see on TMS and to weigh the pros and cons of each.

I think I read it on before but, does anyone really think if another auto maker had a car commanding the market the way the 05 GT is they would be doing any better at getting them out. I also would hazard to bet that the other makers have some type of allotments system also.
Yes, they all have some form of an allocation system. In another thread, I posted a link to a Chrysler 300C forum where the discussion nearly the same as it is here:

"Chrysler really dropped the ball on 300C production.."

"My dealer told me they're out of allocations for the 300C for '05 and I'll have to get an '06"

"Chrysler's allocation system stinks!!!!"

I've also seen similar discussions around the way Lexus allocates the RX-400h and I've personally experienced allocation issues with Acura. It's a system that works fine for normal situations but really becomes an issue with a highly popular car like the Mustang where demand out-strips supply.
Old 5/3/05, 07:20 AM

Well, I am guessing a large part of the frustration is related to the dealer pricing (adding "Adjusted Market Value") on their lot cars. I see two major reasons for ordering a car - 1. You get exactly what you want, 2. You get the price you are willing to pay. I would be willing to bet that most of us could find a "lot" car that we would be happy with, but I really doubt you would get it for X-Plan, A-Plan, or even anywhere near sticker in most cases.

I went to a decent size Ford dealer near me about 2 months ago to see if they had any new Stangs. They had about 5 V6's, and said that the two GT's that they had received were already sold, but I could get my name on a list for ordering a 2006 later this year! Guess it all comes down to supply & demand... just unfortunate for true Mustang enthusiasts. That is why it hard for me to get very excited about the Shelby 500, and even the prospect of the next SE stang (Mach, Boss, whatever) - I really don't see them being readily attainable by the average person who really wants the car (without paying twice sticker).
Old 5/3/05, 08:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

I agree, I am an A-plan buyer. No dealer in Indy (probably the country) will sell off the lot A-plan. Haven't tried to get a V6 A-plan. The dealer I'm working with isn't adding a market adjustment (the only one in Indy I have seen not doing it) but, they also will not budge from sticker. They can't keep a GT on the lot, they had one arrive around 5:20 Friday afternoon, close at 06:00. By 1:00 Saturday not only was it sold but, it was delivered. Most V6's I've seen there last about week average. I ordered exactly what I want and if it doesn't come in I won't buy a second choice. I am willing to order and wait to get my GT for approx. $3,300.00 below retail.
Old 5/3/05, 08:29 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RED92LX50@May 3, 2005, 8:23 AM
Well, I am guessing a large part of the frustration is related to the dealer pricing (adding "Adjusted Market Value") on their lot cars. I see two major reasons for ordering a car - 1. You get exactly what you want, 2. You get the price you are willing to pay. I would be willing to bet that most of us could find a "lot" car that we would be happy with, but I really doubt you would get it for X-Plan, A-Plan, or even anywhere near sticker in most cases.

I went to a decent size Ford dealer near me about 2 months ago to see if they had any new Stangs. They had about 5 V6's, and said that the two GT's that they had received were already sold, but I could get my name on a list for ordering a 2006 later this year! Guess it all comes down to supply & demand... just unfortunate for true Mustang enthusiasts. That is why it hard for me to get very excited about the Shelby 500, and even the prospect of the next SE stang (Mach, Boss, whatever) - I really don't see them being readily attainable by the average person who really wants the car (without paying twice sticker).
Here is the deal. I don't mind paying the markup IF I got the exact car I wanted. But I can't. I want a Sonic Blue with the light tan interior, full upgrades with spoiler delete. Good luck finding a Sonic Blue much less one exactly like I want.

What put me over to actually buy the Mustang was the Sonic Blue color they came out with. I like the Mustang and think it is beutiful but that color was the deciding factor. I'm not gonna buy a new car (because mine is fine) unless I can find exactly what I want.

BTW, a dealer told my father-in-law yesterday that Sonic Blue is the LEAST built color and that colors work on allocation also. I don't know if that is true but that may be why all I find are black ones.
Old 5/3/05, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have heard that also, about color allotments from my dealer.
Old 5/3/05, 09:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by RED92LX50@May 3, 2005, 7:23 AM

This whole supply & demand issue was one reason I decided early on to not even bother trying to purchase an '05. I saw this coming and decided to hold off for an '06 and hope things had settled down by then. I have x-plan and would prefer to use it to purchase an '06 but if the situation is like it is now, I may hold off until '07.
Old 5/3/05, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
How are we supposed to buy a GT off the lot when there are no GTs on the lot??? My order is still C/U from 2/16/05 and every time I ask the dealer what their allocation is they just smile. On 3/25/05 they told me there was one order ahead of me. Ford's method of building orders stinks. With all the Ford dealers here none of them have GTs to buy off the lot. It stinks when you have people getting cars who ordered them after you because their dealer has a larger allocation. There still are people waiting for their cars from December and January. Why ... probably because their dealers don't have much allocation. If Ford thought of their customers, they would build the orders in the order they received them regardless of the dealers allocation. But you know with all the problems some of you have with your new Mustangs I should be happy that mine isn't built yet.
Old 5/3/05, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Eleanor Dreaming@May 3, 2005, 8:10 AM
I agree, I am an A-plan buyer. No dealer in Indy (probably the country) will sell off the lot A-plan...
Uhh there are plenty of them that will. My advice is if you can't find a dealer around you that will give you a-plan, do some looking in Michigan (try Port Huron's Northgate Ford--Rich Elsner). Don't give up on your A-plan. You'll find a dealer that will. My dealer gave me a-plan on the hardest car to find on a lot. A GT Vert with a manual trans.