Throttle body, wrench light, and YOU... well, me, anyway. - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2005-2009 Mustang S197 Discussion & News

Throttle body, wrench light, and YOU... well, me, anyway.

Old 7/16/18, 11:33 PM   #1  
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

Throttle body, wrench light, and YOU... well, me, anyway.

Ok, so in the very recent past, Awesome would throw the wrench light (aka the 'I'm not happy with the electronic throttle control system' light) and go into the limp mode thing. Pull over somewhere safe, turn off, restart, all's well until.. um, whenever she'd do it again. Further, her idle would do... funny things. Be higher than normal. Hunt a little. Sometimes almost die and then fix herself.

She was apparently not happy about something. But what...?

Reading about there's really about two main things that would do this: Throttle Position Sensor, or the Throttle Body Motor. Well, the TPS is readily available. Yay! Not exactly 'cheap', but that's ok. Got me a replacement, took off negative terminal, removed and replaced TPS according to specs/instructions, negative terminal back on, go train her... and all seemed well for a couple of days... still a little hunting/high though here and there...

...and wrench light. Dang.

Now, in the olden days you'd be getting a whole throttle body. Thank goodness time has passed and someone said 'y'know, what if, and this sounds crazy, I know, what if we made a new throttle body motor for those cars?' And so Dorman does. And they're lyin' around the places, just gotta go get one.

I get one. I go to install it last weekend, and... Well... it *should* work, but no matter what I try, every time I put the new endplate with the motor on, the butterflies do NOT want to move. Like, at all.

Hm. That's... not good.

I fiddle and fiddle and beg and plead and... nosir, the new one is just out of sorts in some way. Defective, probably? I dunno, I'm sorta ticked off now. There's no adjustments. It works fine until the last couple of turns of the screws nearest the motor and then locked up. Obviously binding something up. Where, I can't tell. Grr.

I had thought maybe it was an interference, so I painted the gear of the TB motor and the shaft and gear of the middle gear of the setup in the body to see if it hit in a weird way... not really, no.

I then put some dielectric grease on the gears and the middle shaft, thinking that might be it... nope. I put a thin thin layer of that grease on all the teeth of all the plastic gears in there... but alas. Nothing worked.

Fine.

I put the old motor back on on the body, boxed up the new piece, took it back for a refund, as I was now disinterested in the entire project and wanted to sulk a little and think about how I keep trying to do things and they go sideways on me these past few weeks....

---

...Is it me? Have I lost my touch on working on cars?

No, houtex, it's not you. It's the car.

But houtex, she's Awesome. She's done good for 12 years!

houtex, you're just gonna have to realize that 12 years and 160,000 miles does things to a vehicle, ok?

Yeah, but the new part shouldn't be the problem, should it? It's to fix the things!

Uh huh, that's what I thought. Shut up, (word for a nice female dog).

---

Bit like that, yeah.

All that to say this:

>Apparently<, whatever I did with the gears in the throttle body, either the grease, or the moving about, or the bit of cleaning, whatever it is... Problem solved. Awesome is purrin' like a kitten right now. Well, not right now, she's asleep in the garage, and I should be too, but... meh, mind keeps churnin'.

But when she's been running, she's been as normal as can be. Idle is right where it should be, no high running at a light, no hunting around, just... nice.

So. Just my lil' contribution here, if your wrench light is goin' off, and/or the idle isn't consistent, it may not be the TPS, but your gears need attention and maybe a lil' dielectric grease on 'em in the throttle body, and that's all.

Of course... that could change, I dunno. I'll let y'all know if it does. But so far, so good, keepin' the fingers crossed!

In case that helps, y'all have a good one.

Last edited by houtex; 7/16/18 at 11:38 PM.
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 7/17/18, 12:38 PM   #2  
Cobra R Member

One thing I can say brother is that you are tenacious. You keep going until Awesome bends to your will. Thanks for the tip on the TB, I'll keep that little tidbit filed back in the old storage system. With 97K on my old girl one never knows when it may be needed.
wanted33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/18/18, 10:43 PM   #3  
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

No, no... it's more I gotta bend to Awesome's will, really. Whatever she wants/needs/has to have, well, I'm gonna do what I can to make it happen.

She may be a daily driver, but she's also mah baby.

/I don't got kids, so she's the substitute.
Old 7/19/18, 10:33 AM   #4  
Cobra R Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtex View Post
No, no... it's more I gotta bend to Awesome's will, really. Whatever she wants/needs/has to have, well, I'm gonna do what I can to make it happen.

She may be a daily driver, but she's also mah baby.

/I don't got kids, so she's the substitute.
Well sir, you must make her happy. You know the old saying " Hell has no fury like a woman scorned."

Last edited by wanted33; 7/19/18 at 12:31 PM.
Old 7/30/18, 09:25 PM   #5  
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

Update: Yep, that fixed it. No problems since I cleaned/repositioned/greased up the gears in the throttle body and its motor. Wanted to tell y'all that. Of course, certainly other times it could be the motor itself or binding butterflies or such, but for what it's worth, give this a shot before you get a new body or try the dorman replacement.
Old 7/31/18, 10:33 AM   #6  
Cobra R Member

Thanks for the update my friend. One never knows when they will need this information. I'm happy to hear it worked.

Jim