Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrench Light Came on this morning

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/08, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrench Light Came on this morning

Was in the drive thru at the bank car in neutral and parking brake on. Went to leave pushed in clutch put it in first and went to pull out and it hesitated. Pushed clutch in checked the brake to make sure it was off. Tried again and no power, noticed wrench light and pulled off road. Set there for a few minutes tried again. Seemed better drove on to work and parked shut car off and restarted light was gone. Any suggestions? Going to go try it at lunch in a little bit.
Old 5/19/08, 07:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Any updates?
Old 5/20/08, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Three things to check based on my experience below, 1. check that all fitting on the airbox, intake hose, and throttle body are secure including the vacuum (small tube with green tabs that goes to the intake hose at the throttle body), 2. make sure the throttle body isn't all gunked up (see link this link: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=450158), and 3. did you recently install a tune?

I don't know if I can answer your question but I can say that a similar situation has happened to me twice and it has not resulted in anything bad. Both situations were identical in what I did and what the car did before and during the wench light issue.
-It was right after I uploaded a tune and began driving around.
-I got on the gas a little hard.
-Wench light comes on after I take my foot off the gas and engine shuts off.
-I pull over to the side of the road and re-start. No wench light and no permanent codes and everything works fine.

My best guess, for me anyway, is that getting on the gas hard right after a tune upload momentarily mixes the fuel incorrectly and starves the engine of gas or air since the computer hasn't had a chance to calibrate everything yet. I do notice that on the first start after a tune upload the car doenn't rebound from the initial start rev well and almost stalls but the problem corrects itself by the next start (provided I drove around a little after the first start).

I did get the wrench light one other time and a code that it was running rich. I found that the problem was the vacuum tube going to intake hose at the throttle body was not secure. I cleared the code and re-secured the vacuum tube and all was well. This is why I suggested checking all the hose and tube fittings above.
Have you had any problems since your original post?
Old 5/24/08, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Happened again on my Trip to Indy for Carb Day. Drove from Saint Albans, WV to Edinburgh, IN no problems. Next morning about 5 miles up I65 boom it happens again. I have not made any mods to my car yet. I was about to do them have been afraid since it came on the first time.
Old 5/24/08, 04:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it under warranty? Without any mods for the dealer to give you crap about I would take it in and tell them to fix it.

Last edited by GRAYPNY; 5/24/08 at 06:28 PM.
Old 5/24/08, 06:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
mine was coming on prety often for a while. I guess it fixed it self. It has been a while since its come on
Old 8/24/08, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

okay 4th time the light has come on since May! I guess I need to take it in and see if they can tell anything at the dealer. I am getting ready to change exhaust add JLT and Tune. Want issues resolved before I make any changes.
Old 8/25/08, 12:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it in.
Old 8/26/08, 11:46 AM
GT Member

+1

I would take it in and see what they can find.
Old 8/29/08, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Started the car this morning to drive in to get State Inspection done and see the wrench. I was going to leave the car running at the garage and get the inspection then head to dealer. Stupid me turned the car off out of habit. Refired no light. Get the inspection taken care of, back out of garage...hesitation then wrench and engine light both! Drove to dealer and left it running so he said they would squeeze it in since lights were on and with the possibility of resetting before I brought it back on Tuesday which was the first available time they could check it. Just got a call that the Electronic Throttle Body was going bad and none available locally and they had to get one from Greensboro, NC, I'm in WV. So I won't have my car hot the long weekend to have any fun!!!!!!!! Hopefully this gets sorted out and next weekend I can put on the JLT, mufflers and tunes!!!
Old 8/31/08, 03:35 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mweeps
Started the car this morning to drive in to get State Inspection done and see the wrench. I was going to leave the car running at the garage and get the inspection then head to dealer. Stupid me turned the car off out of habit. Refired no light. Get the inspection taken care of, back out of garage...hesitation then wrench and engine light both! Drove to dealer and left it running so he said they would squeeze it in since lights were on and with the possibility of resetting before I brought it back on Tuesday which was the first available time they could check it. Just got a call that the Electronic Throttle Body was going bad and none available locally and they had to get one from Greensboro, NC, I'm in WV. So I won't have my car hot the long weekend to have any fun!!!!!!!! Hopefully this gets sorted out and next weekend I can put on the JLT, mufflers and tunes!!!
The throttle body motor is bad and I'm not surprised.
Old 8/31/08, 11:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
The throttle body motor is bad and I'm not surprised.
Is this common? I have only found one post saying someone else had their throttle body replaced on quick search.
Old 9/1/08, 05:27 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Is this common? I have only found one post saying someone else had their throttle body replaced on quick search.
It seemed to be common for 05-06 Mustangs, along with the defective fuel pumps.

BTW, if you have a X-Cal 2, X-Cal 3, LiveWire or some other tuner, you can use it to scan for DTC codes (which are set when you see the wrench light on the dash).
Old 9/1/08, 11:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
It seemed to be common for 05-06 Mustangs, along with the defective fuel pumps.

BTW, if you have a X-Cal 2, X-Cal 3, LiveWire or some other tuner, you can use it to scan for DTC codes (which are set when you see the wrench light on the dash).
Mine is an 07 but I took delivery in August 06 maybe I got an old part installed early in the 07 Production run.
Old 9/2/08, 12:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine is an 07 but I took delivery in August 06 maybe I got an old part installed early in the 07 Production run.
Mine's an '07 and I got mine at the same time, and a few months later it had the same issue. Mines an auto, but same symptoms and same problem. TB was under warranty, they replaced it, no problems since.
Old 10/28/14, 01:39 PM

Simply get some throttle body cleaner

Amazon.com: CRC 05078 Throttle Body and Air-Intake Cleaner - 12 Wt Oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: CRC 05078 Throttle Body and Air-Intake Cleaner - 12 Wt Oz.: Automotive

and clean it yourself, it's very easy and mine drove like a new car.

Old 10/29/14, 04:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome to the forum ... and I'll let you slide on the fact the threads over 6 years old
Old 10/29/14, 10:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
that spray won't fix a bad throttle position sensor.