2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

A thread that's sure to get locked.

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/09, 10:26 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by forensicsteve
This is either an open forum, where folk can agree or disagree, present different views and debate etc....

or it is a private member's club where you can join in and play, as long as you go with the flow and nobody has a dissenting vote.

And there's IMBOC if some need a mutual admiration/lockstep fix. Or there's always Co-dependents Anonymous.

Old 11/17/09, 10:40 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

I am glad to know I have company on their black list, bro!

Old 11/17/09, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by smitty
... Should we lock this thread?

Absolutely not!

Hey, if Seinfeld could make for ten years this thread can sure last for at least a few more weeks.

Old 11/17/09, 11:15 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Oh no you didn't George.

Don't mess with the Sein!

Old 11/17/09, 11:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Yeah, but I think that Mr Whipple is under your hood.
Listen, if hes really under there, tell him not to squeeze the Charmin.

All show and no go is okay with me. Like so many have mentioned, the GTs are faster than 90% of whats on the road right from the factory. Many people really just don't NEED 500hp at the wheels. I for one would love it, but raising a family in NJ with the cost of living etc. just won't allow crazy expenditures on things like that. If I suddenly won the lottery, sure my car would no longer look or go the way it does today. If someone wants to put 10ft wings on their car, or put on a body kit thats their business, not mine. Do what you want, its your car.
Old 11/17/09, 12:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

And there's IMBOC if some need a mutual admiration/lockstep fix. Or there's always Co-dependents Anonymous.

Hey, did you hear about the co-dependent that had a near death experience? Yeah, he saw someone else's life flash before his eyes.
Old 11/17/09, 12:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

People act like the 4.6 is a slug. Put a tune, CAI, 4:10 gears, suspension and some good rubber and you have a pretty competent small block for the street. I have had my car for 2yrs and have not been challenged to a race once. No one has asked me about hp or mods. Yet i get many thumbs up, nice looking car, love the color, love the wheels ect. 99% of the people can care less about hp but are attracted to the looks.
Old 11/17/09, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Steps to a perfect Mustang:

1. Obtain by some means a 2005 Mustang FR500C
2. Cutting-torch a Mustang GT VIN plate off a totaled 2005 Mustang and weld it onto your FR500C
3. Install windows--hopefully the ones from that totaled 2005 survived intact
4. Tint those windows and the headlight bezel lenses as dark as the quarter windows
5. Replace the side OEM mirrors with those reproduction 'Seventies teardrop side mirrors
6. Install some functioning ducting to get air into the four circular A/C vents in the dash
7. Paint the car, preferably all one color--two-color or multi-color paint jobs require my prior approval and authorization. A paint chip should accompany your request.

Stop here, or you'll likely screw this up big-time!

Optional:

DO NOT install non-functional scoops--if you want Shelby scoops on the sides, don't do it 'til you have a kit that ducts air from those scoops onto the rear brakes and/or to the differential cooler. If you can't find a kit, make one of your own that ducts air to the rear brakes and/or to the differential cooler. The FR500C has front air ducts anyhooooo, an advantage here.
Stripes: This is a Mustang. Use stripes sparingly, if at all. G.T. 350-style rocker stripes are cool. Don't have 'em say "G.T. 350" or "G.T. 500" unless your Mustang is actually an authentic one of these. Respect for Carroll Shelby and all he's done for the Mustang requires that you do not diminish his legacy. Those stripes that go over the top of the hood/roof/trunk are factory options, so I say they are OK with great reservations (again, they're terrific on Shelbys but I'm mixed about using them on non-Shelby Mustangs). I frankly can't abide the "California GT" stripes and wish they had never been created.

If you intend to try to get your FR500C-with-a-VIN-from-a-wrecked-Mustang-GT to pass emissions, you may install the emissions equipment from the Ford GT--let me know how that works. Some unique fabrication & machining may be necessary since the Ford GT uses a supercharged, intercooled, 4-valve 5.4L but your FR500C Mustang doesn't. At least the heads are supposedly identical, which should hugely simplify this for you.

You may add horsepower and torque.

You may widen the insides of the rear wheel tubs to accommodate wider rear tires. That will also increase your chances of gaining approval & authorization of your other modifications.

All other mods should be submitted to me for my review, approval, and authorization before such modifications are initiated. Expect not to get it unless you adhered to steps one through seven above. 'Sorry.

Greg "Protector of the Mustang DNA" Ates

Last edited by Eights; 11/17/09 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11/17/09, 01:28 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by smitty
Hey, did you hear about the co-dependent that had a near death experience? Yeah, he saw someone else's life flash before his eyes.

Old 11/17/09, 04:45 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think its ok to have more show than go, anybody can do as they please and i'm not judging. In my case I would rather have a balance between the two rather then spend all my money on show..
Old 11/17/09, 04:48 PM

I fail to grasp your reluctance to revisit your kindergarten era.

Old 11/17/09, 06:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I was actually going to put the pony package and v6 badging on my gt but went with more show mods than go mods instead.
Old 11/17/09, 06:56 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT

I fail to grasp your reluctance to revisit your kindergarten era.

Well their cookies are stale
and their milk turned green... with floaters in it...

Old 11/20/09, 05:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
is that all?
Old 11/20/09, 06:19 AM
GT Member

99% of the people can care less about hp but are attracted to the looks.
Wrong

Besides all the street racing that goes on....how many dragstrips are there in the US?...there are two sanctioned (NHRA etc) strips within 2 hours of where I live. Go ask the 1000s of racers that meet weekly at the 100s of strips in the US, if hp and torque are important.

Vast majority are mild modders that want a few extra horses, want to keep the car naturally aspirated and retain normal driving characteristics etc, have some fun at the strip and enjoy improving their ETs, then some migrate to some power adder like forced induction, address suspension and traction issues but still want their vehicle to be reliable pleasant daily drivers, then others can tolerate rollbars as they go into mid to low 11s, and accept that their mustang is changed forever, then others are just lunatics like our little team, gut the car, cage it, take it off the street whatever.

If 99% couldn't care less about increasing power, why are there 100s upon 100s of vendors out there, selling performance parts, kits, systems, from the mild to the extreme.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 11/20/09 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11/20/09, 06:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

99% might be pushing it. But of all the Mustangs sold how many are GT's,SE's and GT500's compared to 210hp V6's? Maybe its not so much looks but price that sells more V6's.
Old 11/20/09, 11:23 AM
GT Member

A 4.0L V6 mustang is as much a mustang as our car is. A mustang is a mustang.

Our car is a semi- extreme case of power modding, but it is not a better mustang than one that is 100% bone stock... You can't drive our car on street anymore (spooled rear, 2 speed glide) or at least not for very many miles and who would want to drive around banging your head against a 10 point cage. The A/C, sound system are gone.

The person driving a 4.0L is enjoying a cruise with his/her family. So who's got the better mustang now? There is a huge trade-off between driveability, comfort, and extreme performance...besides which our car is only good for 1/4 mile runs in a straight line...because of the spool, it's got the turning radius of an 18 wheeler...lol
Old 11/20/09, 01:39 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
...besides which our car is only good for 1/4 mile runs in a straight line...
A lot of us Mustang corner carvers would disagree...
Old 11/20/09, 08:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
+1 disagree.

Texas RRs 335, 336, and 337 (and a few other roads around Kerrville) were marvelous, and anything *but* straight.

/a quick left-right-left deftly handled by Awesome... and they were sneaky bastids too.
Old 11/20/09, 10:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

A lot of us Mustang corner carvers would disagree...
Did you even read what he posted idiot?

Quick Reply: A thread that's sure to get locked.