Old 2/25/07, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
What is your personal speed limit.
My buddy says his Lambo goes 180.
I wouldn't know.
I've only ridden in it at 160.
He has driven at over 100mph for 40+ years.
He has never "Lost Control".
I usually try and keep up with traffic or 5-9 mph over the limit. Keeps the likely hood of getting tickets down, especially since the cops in my area like to pick on guys with custom cars and trucks over stupid stuff.

I don't wish an accident on anyone BTW, I was just saying, the likely hood increases if you doing over those speeds all the time. Not an opinion its a fact.
Old 2/27/07, 09:14 AM
GT Member

This issue is exactly why there's a vented hood on the GT500. I was watching a track race on the Speed channel a couple of years ago. I don't remember the class of racing it was, but it was the first race the new 05 Mustang team was in. The lead Mustang lost it's hood in the straight. It's the design. If you plan on doing these speeds regularly, hood pins or a new vented hood are the answer.
Old 2/27/07, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pony Ride
This issue is exactly why there's a vented hood on the GT500. I was watching a track race on the Speed channel a couple of years ago. I don't remember the class of racing it was, but it was the first race the new 05 Mustang team was in. The lead Mustang lost it's hood in the straight. It's the design. If you plan on doing these speeds regularly, hood pins or a new vented hood are the answer.
I too recall that happening. Perhaps Ford put a little too much on retro looks vs modern aerodynamics? While that big gaping grill does look way-cool and retro and all that, the blunt prow does seem to gash a rather ragged hole through the atmosphere, pressurizing some considerable quantity of it under the hood like a Cascade Range volcano, just waiting to blow the hood into a parallel flight pattern at triple-digit speeds.

While hood and fender vents are getting to be pretty cliched and overused styling affectations lately, perhaps here there is a good engineering need for them on performance Stangs. Seems some better underhood airflow and pressure management is in order. Might even give a few extra clicks at the top end for those most manic of velocity buffs among us.
Old 2/27/07, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 555
I usually try and keep up with traffic or 5-9 mph over the limit. Keeps the likely hood of getting tickets down, especially since the cops in my area like to pick on guys with custom cars and trucks over stupid stuff.

I don't wish an accident on anyone BTW, I was just saying, the likely hood increases if you doing over those speeds all the time. Not an opinion its a fact.
And perhaps some hard compound bias ply tires coupled with lugnuts designed to rip off at 66mph coupled with 1-inch exhaust pipes lest, horrors, someone falls to the temptation to go f-a-s-t with their Stang GT. Perhaps a block of wood under the loud pedal too in order to save our fellow drivers from themselves and a twitchy right foot. That and a picture of Church Lady on the dash to curb those satanic urges.

Seriously, the Stang's a performance car and one ought to be able to confidently utilize its full performance -- on a track, of course ;-) -- without fear some major body panel is going to go all NASA on you.
Old 2/27/07, 10:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised something like a hood has an issue like this at only 120mph. Do 160+ on a bike a few times and 120 in a car feels like slow-motion My old GT did 140+ with no worries(heavilly modified, but stock body parts).
Old 2/27/07, 11:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
I'm surprised something like a hood has an issue like this at only 120mph. Do 160+ on a bike a few times and 120 in a car feels like slow-motion My old GT did 140+ with no worries(heavilly modified, but stock body parts).

It has to do with the retro design.. But even at 150, we have a safety catch on the hood. Remember the car is limited to 145mph so that is why when I hit 145+ and I saw it bouncing around like crazy I let off. Don't know how far ford tested the limits of the stock hood and latch..

My new hood will be a Heat extractor of some sort so that air can escape