2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Test drove an '05 GT today

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/05, 12:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I got to test drive a GT and for the most part was impressed.

But it didn't have the pickup that I expected it to have. It was an automatic, so I'm sure that had something to do with it, but when I hit the gas there was a noticeable delay before the car actually took off. And even after it took off the sensation of power that I get when I hit the gas on my '91 GT just wasn't there.

I don't know if this is because the car is a bit bigger and heavier or if the torque from the newer engine is that much less than the 5.0 liter... but in any case I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. The car just didn't seem that much faster than my current stang... but that aside, the car does seem very solid and it was a nice ride

I would like to have seen how a stick performs, but they only had one GT on the lot so I didn't get the opportunity.
Old 5/14/05, 12:44 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The lag in throttle response is because of the drive by wire system. Do a search on google.
Old 5/14/05, 12:50 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah I know about the difference in throttle, from the cable to the computer... but I've driven other cars, for one the 350z and it doesn't have a noticable lag like the Mustang and it's a drive-by-wire... so it doesn't need to be that way.
Old 5/14/05, 03:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

My .02.

My car has exceptional giddy up.

I have noticed 0 lag.

I've got the manual.

Everytime I have asked her to perform, she has been more than willing.
The acceleration is amazing at worst.

It is not the fastest car I have driven, but it certainly is no slouch either.

It's everything I expected it to be and then some.
Old 5/14/05, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Did you turn off the T C?
Old 5/14/05, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

The only thing I can think of is that it was defeacted otherwise I am not buying your story. Sorry to say that but we all own 05 Stangs here and have owned previous Stangs and your story just dont add up. Not taking up for the Mustang because I have one but there is no comparison between the 05 and a 91 in the way it handles and in the HP of the 05. I have driven the a 92 and owned a 2000 and both cars handled pretty much the same as 94 Taurus that I had. I think you need to go out and drive another 05 GT
Old 5/14/05, 09:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I tell you what. This car has some power. I have an automatic. Yesterday I was getting off the highway and came to a complete stop. Was waiting on cars on the perpendicular street to turn on to highway while I wanted to make a left. A ford guy stopped and was looking at the mustang, and wanted me to turn. So I to give a little show, I gunned and whipped around. Might I say just a little too much. Not use to all that power in the rear, and breaking loose like that. But it was ripping the tires up. My last car was a 97 gtp, with 240 hp, and good torque due to the supercharger. But this car is a whole new kind of beast. Must be tamed properly. Ive got bassani xpipe/cats/mufflers on the way. Cant wait to see what thats all about.
Old 5/14/05, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

A tune and/or CAI will make a dramatic difference in the throttle area as well as very noticeable power increase.....I also agree the 05 stock, is MUCH faster than previous GT's. I've owned all the variants. :w00t:
Old 5/14/05, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

No I didn't turn of TC or anything... it was just a test drive, and I actually didn't even know it had it or you could turn it off

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the car is slow... it just didn't have the same sense of speed, seat-of-your-pants pull like my '91. If you don't buy my story that's fine... hehe... I have no reason to lie. And I fully intend to buy one of these babies very soon... probably just going to wait for the '06, I just thought I would post my experience, which was a great one with this one exception.

Perhaps it was a combination of automatic and the TC system... or maybe just the initial lag of the drive-by-wire I don't know... or maybe there was something wrong with that particular car... it's totally possible.. here's hoping
Old 5/14/05, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

The best time stock for my 1991 LX 5.0 5-speed was 14.2 completely stock
3.73 gears, cheater slicks and exhaust got it to 13.5

05 GT automatic 300 miles on odometer 13.6@99.83
Old 5/14/05, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I drove both the MT and the AT and up tp 60 they would be neck and neck, thats just how they felt to me. At real high ranges like 90mph and up the MT would have a slight edge.
Old 5/14/05, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Imatk@May 14, 2005, 2:42 AM
So I got to test drive a GT and for the most part was impressed.

But it didn't have the pickup that I expected it to have. It was an automatic, so I'm sure that had something to do with it, but when I hit the gas there was a noticeable delay before the car actually took off. And even after it took off the sensation of power that I get when I hit the gas on my '91 GT just wasn't there.

I don't know if this is because the car is a bit bigger and heavier or if the torque from the newer engine is that much less than the 5.0 liter... but in any case I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. The car just didn't seem that much faster than my current stang... but that aside, the car does seem very solid and it was a nice ride

I would like to have seen how a stick performs, but they only had one GT on the lot so I didn't get the opportunity.

Two different types of motors. The 91 GT has the 5.0L motor which has a more abrupt power delivery than a modular motor. I have a 91 GT as well and it has a ton of bottom end power. The modular motors tend to be a little soft in that area when compared to the old push rod 5.0L's. Not really a fair comparison. I'm sure once you turn off the TC or drive one with a tune you won't be disapointed.
Old 5/14/05, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Imatk@May 14, 2005, 11:08 AM
No I didn't turn of TC or anything... it was just a test drive, and I actually didn't even know it had it or you could turn it off

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the car is slow... it just didn't have the same sense of speed, seat-of-your-pants pull like my '91. If you don't buy my story that's fine... hehe... I have no reason to lie. And I fully intend to buy one of these babies very soon... probably just going to wait for the '06, I just thought I would post my experience, which was a great one with this one exception.

Perhaps it was a combination of automatic and the TC system... or maybe just the initial lag of the drive-by-wire I don't know... or maybe there was something wrong with that particular car... it's totally possible.. here's hoping
How dare you say anything negative about our beloved '05's.

I have noticed some lag in my manual. It's really bad sometimes when I've been cruising, and then I hit the gas. It's like the computer went to sleep. A tune will fix everything I'm sure.

The car doesn't have much SOTP feel. A louder exhaust helps, though. When I nail the gas from a stop, bang second gear, then look at the speedo and see 60 mph . . . all in 5 seconds . . . I know it's fast. :worship:
Old 5/14/05, 02:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The torque available in the 1500-3000 RPM range, along with gearing, chip tuning, vehicle solidity and weight, and driver expectations usually add up to "feeling fast" or not. For example, when I drove a manual '05 GT coupe, I experienced a similar first impression as compared to my current '03 Mach. However, when I compare either to a Nissan 350Z (another vehicle I considered), they feel fast. I've seen many people comment on the 350Z's ample torque. When I drove a Superformance Shelby Cobra Roadster replica with a 5.8L pushrod Windsor engine, that car felt VERY fast.

Measuring with accurate timing equipment in similar atmospheric conditions is most likely the best way to really see differences.

No doubts that the modifications that people mention here will help in this department - gears, chip re-tune, etc. The bottom line is that by many people's experiences and instrumented testing, the new GT is a strong performing car.

Just don't drive the new Shelby GT500, as I am fairly certain that will change your expectations dramatically!
Old 5/14/05, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah Sonic05 that's pretty much what it felt like... almost like the computer had to wake up and deliver the gas to the engine.

I will say that the 350z I drove felt a bit faster... although I'm not sure if that's simply because it's a smaller car and the ride is different... but when I hit the gas on the 350z my stomach definately pulled back, something that didn't happen with the Mustang.

Either way it's kind of deceptive as well because even when we were going 75 on the freeway it didn't "feel" like 75... it fet more like 40 heh so I'm sure that had something to do with it as well.
Old 5/14/05, 03:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Comparing the "fast" feeling of a '91GT vrs the "fast" feeling of an '05GT isn't a good comparison. The older cars FEEL that way in that you feel everything that's going on, good AND bad. The '05 would crush the '91 in every catagory, especially in the solid, planted feel department.

This is really a perception/feel situation. I would say the reason the 350Z feels faster is because it's much smaller and really a skateboard in comparison. The 05 is a decent size car, not big, but decent. The 350Z is smaller.
Old 5/14/05, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah. 75mph in my truck is almost over the edge. 75 in my dad's '95 GT is mere child's play--you might as well be going 45 for all the difference it makes in the feel. There's probably a similar gap between a '91 GT and an '05.