2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Stillen Sportsparts wants to hear from you

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/06, 05:05 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am waiting for someone to design the lower billet grille for the Roush front fascia.
also,some alternative billet speaker covers(Steeda and Ford have them now but for 170.00 I'll pass.
Pre painted oem brake calipers would be awesome too
I mentioned somewhere before about total mirror replacements also(sleeker)
Thank you and welcome to TMS!
P.S. Also i want to get lowering springs just for the rear but cannot find any(really looking for ultralites.)A shock, spring package for the rear would really be awesome
Old 9/9/06, 05:51 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
Why does it need to have an OEM appearance? We have a couple of ideas for a CAI that is a huge departure from what everyone else is doing, but it hardly looks like an OE piece. Would this present a problem?
It doesn't really have to look like the OE intake tube, just look as if it could be OE. Why? As you can see by many of these posts when people ask for a particular part almost all of them say "...but it needs to look OE." If your ideas are "a huge departure from what everyone else is doing" we might be on the same page. A clean look is what I'm going for. Something that looks like it belongs there. IMO most of the CAI's on the market looks like they were made from parts picked up at the hardware store. They look home-made. A backyard or garage CAI if you will.

Look at the K&N or Airaid intake tubes. Those have the clean look I'm talking about. The heat shield/airbox on the other hand looks just as bad as the others. S&B comes the closest to having a complete OE looking system... until you get to the HUGE hole on the backside of the airbox that sucks in all that hot air.

In short, no matter what the aftermarket part is, it needs to look like it belongs there.
Old 9/9/06, 05:54 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltzman
I am waiting for someone to design the lower billet grille for the Roush front fascia.
also,some alternative billet speaker covers(Steeda and Ford have them now but for 170.00 I'll pass.
Pre painted oem brake calipers would be awesome too
I mentioned somewhere before about total mirror replacements also(sleeker)
Thank you and welcome to TMS!
P.S. Also i want to get lowering springs just for the rear but cannot find any(really looking for ultralites.)A shock, spring package for the rear would really be awesome
Chuck,
I asssume you've been in the other springs threads, but just in case, Steeda sells the rear springs seperately. (not the ultralites, but there's not THAT big of a difference between them and the sports)
And I think Roush does also.
Old 9/9/06, 08:57 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we are of the same thought StangNut. I know exactly what you mean now. Thanks for the clarification.

muscle_man, I am currently working on that very thing with the brake division manager. If we could do a 4-piston caliper with a 13” cross-drilled rotor (1 piece rotor) front brake system for $1400 - $1600 would that be appealing? The $2800 14.25” system is a two-piece rotor with a 6-piston caliper. It’s amazing how the price skyrockets when you add pistons to a caliper or a two-piece hat and rotor combo to a brake system. However, I can tell you from experience that a full AP system is amazing! We had a customer in the shop about a month ago that did the full AP setup (front and back). All I can say about that cars stopping ability is… PHENOMINAL!!! I thought the stock brakes on the 05+ were fairly decent, but when compared to an AP race inspired, balanced braking system… well lets just say I’m saving up my lunch money.

Thanks for the input everybody.
Old 9/9/06, 09:27 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about that blackout panel?

... sorry - just been waiting for someone to make one for a while now ...
Old 9/9/06, 10:00 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Believe me, I’m taking note of everything. You guys have some great ideas.
Old 9/10/06, 04:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
These cars are in serious need of storage. how about an overhead console wiht an OEM look, nothing cheesy...
+1
Old 9/10/06, 08:10 AM

Yes Brian that sounds good. I'd really like to have an AP setup due to their racing heritage. I don't doubt you on the 6 piston setup though, I wish I had the monney for it.
Old 9/10/06, 08:44 AM
V6 Member

What about shifters? It sounds like the tri ax has lost ground to the hurst piece. Why is that? What is everyone looking for in a replacement shifter?

Remember we can manufacture just about everything.
Just out of curiosity, why do you think it seems like the Tri-Ax has lost ground to the Hurst shifter? The Tri-Ax and Pro 5.0 seem to be the two preferred shifters from what I have read on this, and other, forums. In fact there are some people that originally purchased a Hurst shifter and have replaced them with either a Tri-Ax or a Pro 5.0 shifter.

I agree with others on the ideas for an overhead console and a dash pad that incorporates a gauge pod. Like others have said, the console needs to prevent stuff from flying out on hard launches and both parts should look like they belong in the car. The dash mount gauge pods I have seen look pretty bad IMO. I would rather cut holes in the front of the dash and mount the gauges there over mounting that thing on my dash.

I also like the idea of a “clean looking” blackout panel for the rear. I would personally prefer to keep the medallion though.

I’m not sure how much market share there is left for a CAI unless it truly stood apart from the ones already out there. There doesn’t seem to be much difference between them from a performance standpoint and I doubt there would be in whatever you bring out. That isn’t a slam on Stillen’s engineering/design prowess. I just don’t think there is much room for improvement over what already exists. Bottom line is I would prefer Stillen spend time engineering/designing parts that are truly different and/or superior to what already exists.

I would love to see some more functional hoods on the market. There aren’t that many and I am not a huge fan of the design of the ones that do exist. I would love to see you produce two or more hoods that either bring cool air into the engine bay and/or extract it while being designed to tie the new car to the cars of the past. I would also want the hood to be at least the same weight as the factory hood. I don’t really want to add weight to the front of the car if I can avoid it. One design I would love to have would be something similar to the “CJ” hood scoops on the 69/70 BOSS/Mach 1 Mustangs that is integrated into a hood (not stuck on) and with or without the “spear” from that era. Again it needs to be functional and light.

This may sound crazy, and I may get some flack for mentioning it, but what about mud flaps that somehow integrate with the lines of the car (i.e. don’t look like mud flaps have been mounted on the car). I am running 285/40’s out back and they can really sling road grime onto the rear quarters with minimal dampness on the ground. This could also help reduce/prevent the track grime (rubber, etc.) from the staging lane.

Another idea that might sell well is a rear seat delete kit that works and looks “OEM”. While this isn’t something I would purchase I have read many posts in the past (not so much lately) from people that would like to have this.

One last idea is perhaps a “rip off” of something another company is sort of known for. I would love to have the ROUSH toolkit that mounts on the underside of the trunk lid but not enough to pay their price tag. Perhaps a little competition in this space is what’s needed.
Old 9/10/06, 11:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just to clarify on "my" idea of what an overhead console would be.
Not one running from drivers side to passenger side over the sun visors, but running from just in front of the map light towards the rear. Map/interior lights on the rear part. slim profile, with side opening door/doors. In the vein of the 67/68 overhead console, but with storage capicity.
Old 9/10/06, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Thunder Road
Just to clarify on "my" idea of what an overhead console would be.
Not one running from drivers side to passenger side over the sun visors, but running from just in front of the map light towards the rear. Map/interior lights on the rear part. slim profile, with side opening door/doors. In the vein of the 67/68 overhead console, but with storage capicity.
That's exactly what I was thinking of, and it sounds like a good idea.
Old 9/10/06, 12:47 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stang281
That's exactly what I was thinking of, and it sounds like a good idea.
Yep. Me too.
Old 9/10/06, 01:22 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Thanks for the input RazorX. Believe me Stillen is not interested in a “me too” product unless the product that we produce is substantially superior. There have been several items that did not make the cut simply because they could not be improved upon.

A perfect example is the exhaust system we are doing for the Hemi motor 300, Magnum and Charger. Just about every system I can think of has some degree of “drone” when the MDS (cylinder deactivation) kicks in. The only exception that I can think of is Corsa... a great exhaust system just a little pricey. We are currently on version 5 or 6 trying to “tune” out that annoying harmonic that the exhaust system makes. The current version is better than most, but since it's not right we are not going to sell it. This is philosophy behind all of our performance parts.

As far as my tri-ax observation… it was just that, an observation. I had a tri-ax in my last Mustang and loved it. It just seems more guys gravitate toward the Hurst on the 05+ cars. Just my .02 cents, I could be wrong.

How much storage would you want to see in an overhead console? Also, would it have to match the interior colors or would black suffice?
Old 9/10/06, 01:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the input RazorX. Believe me Stillen is not interested in a “me too” product unless the product that we produce is substantially superior. There have been several items that did not make the cut simply because they could not be improved upon.

A perfect example is the exhaust system we are doing for the Hemi motor 300, Magnum and Charger. Just about every system I can think of has some degree of “drone” when the MDS (cylinder deactivation) kicks in. The only exception that I can think of is Corsa... a great exhaust system just a little pricey. We are currently on version 5 or 6 trying to “tune” out that annoying harmonic that the exhaust system makes. The current version is better than most, but since it's not right we are not going to sell it. This is philosophy behind all of our performance parts.

As far as my tri-ax observation… it was just that, an observation. I had a tri-ax in my last Mustang and loved it. It just seems more guys gravitate toward the Hurst on the 05+ cars. Just my .02 cents, I could be wrong.

How much storage would you want to see in an overhead console? Also, would it have to match the interior colors or would black suffice?
I personally like the Hurst because of the design of the shifter, it looks great exposed and leaving the boot down as far as you can.

I think B&M's ease of install is appeasing though. It would be nice to have a short throw shifter (reduce throw by 25%+) with similar looks to Hurst and an install about as easy as B&M's. (and not have the shifter make any noise after installing, or come with everything to prevent it from making noise/rattling) Also around $150-$180.

I would offer the console in black for a certain price, and then charge a little extra for Light Graphite and Medium Parchment.
Old 9/10/06, 04:20 PM

I agree with a couple of the previous posts - I am looking for a fully functional replacement hood of the heat extractor design (like the '68 GT/CS, and 3dCarbon designed "Boy Racer" hoods, for example). I would love to find an aluminum hood that is at least no heavier, if not actually lighter, than the OEM hood, and that latches securely with no "fly-up" worries. Fit and finish needs to be OEM, or better. Should have provisions for under hood light and hood struts, to replace the prop rod. It's important the new hood be fully functional, and that it looks like it could be a Ford, or Ford Racing, OEM piece. It's also important the new hood provide sufficient under hood clearance to allow for such things as plenum covers, strut tower braces, and blowers - if it doesn't, don't bother building it! If you can satisfy all of the above requirements, I'll buy one today!

Alan
Old 9/10/06, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the Hurst looks good but I'm concerned about noise after installation. I'd be interested in something that looked somewhat like the shifters from '67-'67 Shelby Mustangs - obviously not as large but something that angled back toward the driver a little. Shorter throw with no slop and under $200.00 would be great!

Regarding the storage I also agree with Thunder Road...something running from the rear of the map lights toward the rear of the car, just enough to store a pair of glasses/sunglasses and my cell phone. Black works for me but I also think others might want Parchment/Grey options.

By the way it's great to see a manufacturer taking such an interest in what we as consumers are looking for. That's the way it should be but it's still good to see it!
Old 9/10/06, 10:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

T

I was thinking room for a couple packs of cigerettes, ( yes Im one of the 10 people in the US who still smokes), sungalsses, garage door opener.
Old 9/10/06, 11:27 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the input RazorX. Believe me Stillen is not interested in a “me too” product unless the product that we produce is substantially superior.
You are certainly welcome and thank you for taking the time to solicit input from us enthusiasts.

I do believe you wouldn’t take the “me too” approach and I hope it didn’t come off that I did.
I think the other comments you have already received have hit the nail on the head. There should be a place for sunglasses with the requisite “trap door”. (I’m not sure what to call it but I am referring to the contraption that every overhead console, in every car, has these days.) It would also be nice to have a few more enclosed bins (two or three) to put “stuff” in.

Would the lack of color matching provide a significant cost savings? I think Stang281 has a good idea on the color matching dilemma but my interior is black so I would be buying it in black anyway (read as: I'm biased). Those who prefer other colors may have a different opinion.

I just realized I have only seen black interiors in the ~ten S197’s I have been or looked inside of. This is shocking now that I think about it. What color is the headliner and dome light housing in cars with parchment or tan interiors? I’m guessing they are parchment/tan or this wouldn’t be an issue.

Bottom line: I would only buy the overhead console if it matched the color of the headliner/dome light housing in my car.

I would also like for the console to replace the existing dome light housing and incorporate the factory lights and switches. I realize this could make the installation a little more involved but this would give a far superior level of integrating with the rest of the interior.
Old 9/11/06, 06:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Welcome Brian. The more competition in the aftermarket means lower prices for us. I like the suggestion of the under hood (plug & play) light (256 colors ). Maybe a blackout pannel thats similar to SHR's honeycmb pattern but allows you to delete the badge totally like the CDC design, with small GT emblem just karge enough to cover the keyhole that would just slide to the side for access (very old school). A rear window louver like the Saleen one (flush with the roof line and hinges open) thats due to come out shortly but will most likely be too $$.
Old 9/11/06, 09:27 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hood with functional hoodscoop with intake like this. maybe have a choice of intakes depending if you are N/A or forced induction.

Quick Reply: Stillen Sportsparts wants to hear from you