2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Some pretty cool info

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/04, 10:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ManEHawke@July 9, 2004, 7:08 PM
Kevin, how many car's have you sold at MSRP? I'm just curious if you regularly or ever meet those type of people for a normal mass produced car.
The scary thing is that I know a lot of people that don't haggle. They go in and ask what their payments will be and that's it. I have never had to do that because of A-plan
Old 7/10/04, 12:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ManEHawke@July 9, 2004, 8:08 PM
Kevin, how many car's have you sold at MSRP? I'm just curious if you regularly or ever meet those type of people for a normal mass produced car.
On non-specialty vehicles, rarely. Internet sales usually follows a Costco-type price structure, its very competitive but the deals are super-quick so I dont spend all day on one customer-time is money for a salesperson too. Walk-ins usually sell at 2-4% over invoice, unless we have to move one. Fortunately, our dealer pays on holdback, so a 3% sale over invoice on an Exped is about $2400 gross proffit(payable), at most dealers, that would only be $1000, so we are paid quite well without having to gouge. The more I think about it, the harder it is to answer, every sale is SO different. Value is perception, not a dollar ammount. People worry too much about it, like its evil to make money. If you have YOUR car you want to sell, and auction value is $5600, and retail is $7800, what do you want to get for it? If you want one dime over $5600, your a SCUMBAG!!! :angry: .

I think the fear of one's neighbor getting a better deal has more to do with it then actuall pricing. A Focus has so little markup in one I just print the invoice, circle it, and say "this is what I own it for, how much would you like us to make on it?" Whatever they write down I just say CONGRATULATIONS and write it up. It doesnt matter much to me if its invoice or 300 over on one of those. I just make those quick. I would expect in-stock Mustangs to sell at about $500 under MSRP initially. Current bid on the GT though is $440,000 now Id like to land that one I paid sticker for my 93 RX7 TT, I could care less really, if I could go back and do it again. You can always make more money. I never let $1000 dollars get in my way if it makes me happy. Now if I'm buying something from someone who treats me BADLY.........I'll grind them down to thier bloody stumps.
Old 7/10/04, 12:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by JZInternet+July 9, 2004, 11:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JZInternet @ July 9, 2004, 11:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ManEHawke@July 9, 2004, 7:08 PM
The scary thing is that I know a lot of people that don't haggle. They go in and ask what their payments will be and that's it. I have never had to do that because of A-plan [/b][/quote]
There are plenty of people that dont NEED to haggle either. B) Ive sold cars like T-birds that I only met the person when I showed up at their house with the car clean and fueled, did the paperwork in their kitchen, and came back with a check.
Old 7/10/04, 09:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

ok for the sake of example, let's say a Mustang GT has a MSRP of 25k even. Since you said 500 below MSRP would be expectable. That would be 24500. If someone was going to pay cash could they easily pay 24500 as the final price?

Would that be considered a pretty good deal too?

And assuming, guessing, from the info we have now, how soon can a deal like this be made?

One last quick one, do dealers try to charge people to make an order, or are they supposed to?
Old 7/10/04, 11:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ManEHawke@July 10, 2004, 9:30 AM
ok for the sake of example, let's say a Mustang GT has a MSRP of 25k even. Since you said 500 below MSRP would be expectable. That would be 24500. If someone was going to pay cash could they easily pay 24500 as the final price?

Would that be considered a pretty good deal too?

And assuming, guessing, from the info we have now, how soon can a deal like this be made?

One last quick one, do dealers try to charge people to make an order, or are they supposed to?
GOOD QUESTION!
Old 7/11/04, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Used to be when you bought a car you talked to one person, now you talk to a salesman who basically is the greeter, some a##hole who doesnt smile who is trying to steal your trade in and the finance lady who trys to sell you everything else they can think of. Thank God I can get the X plan, really makes car buying alot easier just got to get past the F&I with buying all that other crap and you are home free.
Old 7/11/04, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If a dealer wants more money to order a car go somewhere else. This is not a limited production car.

I agree with tangs3 ragarding dealers trying to steal your trade in. When I ordered my last mustang I had a trade in all set but when the new car came in I changed my mind and didn't want to trade anything in. The dealer locked the new car up in his garage and wanted an extra 500 dollars to make up for what he said he was planning on making with my trade. In reality he probably would have tried to make a few thousand more on it if I know him . This leads me to my next point.

Try to get the dealer to give you two seperate figures. One for the total cost of the Mustang after rebates and discounts and a seperate figure for your trade.
Old 7/11/04, 04:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by tangs3@July 11, 2004, 11:51 AM
Used to be when you bought a car you talked to one person, now you talk to a salesman who basically is the greeter, some a##hole who doesnt smile who is trying to steal your trade in and the finance lady who trys to sell you everything else they can think of. Thank God I can get the X plan, really makes car buying alot easier just got to get past the F&I with buying all that other crap and you are home free.
It is difficult to read some posts that generalize about car dealers (in a negative sense). Not all dealers/sales-people are trying to rip you off. I have purchased many new cars, and I have found salespeople that are more than willing to work with me to strike a deal that is good for my situation, and good for theirs. I am not saying that every dealership is like this, I just happen to put in the effort to find them. I don't think I am alone. I ordered my 2005 Mustang from a local dealership. The salesman happens to be the same person who sold me an Explorer 10 years ago. This guy has worked at the same dealership for 30+ years. Can you imagine how rare that is ? I know that this dealership will take care of me. For example, when I take the car in for service, they give me a rental car at no-charge. And not just a Dodge Neon - I usually get to pick my ride. They treat me like I am somebody, even though I am just another working class person who lives in the same neighborhood. I have read lots of similar stories on this site, about the relationships that car buyers have with their dealerships - relationships that span generations.

Another point I wish to make. TheMustangSource is very fortunate to have 2 "resident" dealers who contribute a great deal of their time and talent at this site. They are not just car salesman. They are people ... people who happen to share the same interests in Mustangs that everyone else at this site does. They help us all and deserve better than to be categorized in a general sense. tangs3, I apologize for picking on your post, because I know you are not the only one who has generalized about dealers regarding a bad experience. I know you have your reasons for doing so. I just want to point out that generalizations are not quite fair, and sometimes not accurate.
Old 7/11/04, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Thank you very much.
Old 7/13/04, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by os121+July 11, 2004, 6:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (os121 @ July 11, 2004, 6:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tangs3@July 11, 2004, 11:51 AM
It is difficult to read some posts that generalize about car dealers (in a negative sense). Not all dealers/sales-people are trying to rip you off. I have purchased many new cars, and I have found salespeople that are more than willing to work with me to strike a deal that is good for my situation, and good for theirs. I am not saying that every dealership is like this, I just happen to put in the effort to find them. I don't think I am alone. I ordered my 2005 Mustang from a local dealership. The salesman happens to be the same person who sold me an Explorer 10 years ago. This guy has worked at the same dealership for 30+ years. Can you imagine how rare that is ? I know that this dealership will take care of me. For example, when I take the car in for service, they give me a rental car at no-charge. And not just a Dodge Neon - I usually get to pick my ride. They treat me like I am somebody, even though I am just another working class person who lives in the same neighborhood. I have read lots of similar stories on this site, about the relationships that car buyers have with their dealerships - relationships that span generations.

Another point I wish to make. TheMustangSource is very fortunate to have 2 "resident" dealers who contribute a great deal of their time and talent at this site. They are not just car salesman. They are people ... people who happen to share the same interests in Mustangs that everyone else at this site does. They help us all and deserve better than to be categorized in a general sense. tangs3, I apologize for picking on your post, because I know you are not the only one who has generalized about dealers regarding a bad experience. I know you have your reasons for doing so. I just want to point out that generalizations are not quite fair, and sometimes not accurate. [/b][/quote]
I know there are exceptions to all cases and I always buy from the one who treats me best. however I live in a place where one family owns 1/2 of all lots in the area so pricing and trading really is really a difficult thing, If you could only hear the stories of people who bought cars and are just stuck with them. I did not point any fingers at anyone on here. Anyone who has sold cars at more than one place knows not all dealers are what they make their selves out to be. The guy who worked at the same dealer for 30 years, I say he stayed there because the dealings were fair and customers kept coming back for that reason. My best experience in buying cars is with the smaller dealers they usually go the extra mile to sell.
Old 7/13/04, 07:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by tangs3@July 13, 2004, 6:24 PM
I know there are exceptions to all cases and I always buy from the one who treats me best. however I live in a place where one family owns 1/2 of all lots in the area so pricing and trading really is really a difficult thing, If you could only hear the stories of people who bought cars and are just stuck with them. I did not point any fingers at anyone on here. Anyone who has sold cars at more than one place knows not all dealers are what they make their selves out to be. The guy who worked at the same dealer for 30 years, I say he stayed there because the dealings were fair and customers kept coming back for that reason. My best experience in buying cars is with the smaller dealers they usually go the extra mile to sell.
You just woke me up to the fact that not everyone has the luxury of mutliple dealerships near their home. I was fairly focused on my situation where I can choose from 6+ different Ford dealers, with one of them being perfect for me. You are correct about my dealer being fair, and offering a work environment that fosters long term careers. Simply amazing for any company in these days when layoffs are so common. You are also correct that you did not point any fingers at anyone on this site - please accept my apology. The learning experience associated with the new Mustang has made me sensitive to the difficulties that dealers face these days, and and I have a strong appreciation for the contributions that our dealer-members make to this site. In any case, I hope that you can find a good dealer, who is willing to work with you on getting one of these new Mustangs - they are going to be such an awesome car !
Old 7/13/04, 09:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by BlackRiderX@July 11, 2004, 2:12 PM
If a dealer wants more money to order a car go somewhere else. This is not a limited production car.

Try to get the dealer to give you two seperate figures. One for the total cost of the Mustang after rebates and discounts and a seperate figure for your trade.
Orders and pricing on them depend on all kinds of different things. Some people dont care about putting more down then sticker, its just totally disposable money anyway, they will even brag about it. It is a mass produced car, how it rubs consumers unique to everyone(and their budgets as well). I would think that it would be EASIER to get over sticker if the car was available, at the second you want it, right in front of you, rather then a piece of paper you are waiting on.

We could easilly get whatever we want for hybrids, because its not just about the mileage, some very wealthy people will pay 10k over for HOV privledges and not blink twice because their SL600 gets stuck with the working schmuks. I just do them MSRP right now For the most part, the customers that are first on the list are greenies, or need the mileage, or need the HOV(being a single parent or something), the Hybrid is not about status to the original die-hards that went out to research it before Ford ever announced it. The vehicle is not 'cheap' to them either, they will bust 32k msrp, so I wont take advantage of them. NOW, if there is a backout and we have the ONLY one available to buy on the spot in 5 states, as a business you be STUPID to not make a killing on it, I mean STONE stupid. A hybrid on a lot because of a backout in October should not sell for less then $7000 over sticker, no way. "I see you have one here but I want a discount".....Dont like it mam? ohhhhhhhhh dats toooo bad, you go, no trouble. If you think thats wrong, If you had a one of a kind baseball card that everyone wants, would you sell it for $.25?

And yes, they are two seperate deals, the trade and the new car. I usually like to make sure that people also realize that when they come in, they WILL buy A car that day, either a brand new(or new to them) vehicle that suits their needs/wants, or they buy their OLD car again and take THAT home. Also, as far as trades go, to wholesalers and dealers, they are just units, not your pride and joy. A lot of time they come in monday and throw your beloved trade on a truck with wax pencil writing all over it first thing monday morning and off to auction. Its just a number to them for a condition written in a little black book with tens of thousands of other numbers and they hope another wholesaler will pay them a little more to take it off their hands and bring to an auction to try to make a buck with taking all the risk with their own cash as well. The house stock # they put on the trade the next day will not be #0000001-"wow our first Plymouth Voyager EVER, man look how pretty!"

KELLY BLUE BOOK OR EDMUNDS NEVER BOUGHT ONE SINGLE CAR FROM ANYBODY. If you dont like the price, sell it to them. You go to a dealer, say on a BRAND NEW Explorer(that they have kept on their real estate for 2 months), and get $3500 free money off retail from them, $5000 in cash from Ford, and then want KBB money for some old used honda? Be realistic. And dealers still do it and are the bad guy. The deal that you think is not-that-great a lot of the times, YOU WOULD NEVER TAKE if you owned the dealership. Be realistic, theres also a reason YOU dont want the car anymore too, or didnt sell it yourself before you came in.
Old 7/13/04, 10:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Good points Kev about selling scarce commodities above selling price...that's the American Way! Most of us realize this is not ripping consumers off, and we'd do the same thing too! Like with the baseball card scenario or comic book or whatever!

P.S. I think the 05 stang will start out scarce, but HOPEFULLY by Jan 05 I'll be able to walk onto the lot and pay cash for a fully loaded torch red, redfire or sonic blue premium gt with 9 speakers! WOW!
Old 7/13/04, 11:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Always think about it like this, you have a car that is worth $5600 according to KBB. Someone comes up and says they will give you $9500 for it. What would you say? Then someone also offers you $3000, what do you say?
Old 7/14/04, 05:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's why I'll never trade my vehicles in. The dealer was going to give me far less than what my car was really worth. I would wait it out and sell my car before giving it away. :notnice:
Old 7/14/04, 12:53 PM
GT Member

Here's a question for any salespeople on here. This scenario is for a 2005 Mustang or similar "in demand" car. What if I were to go to a dealer and when the sales guy meets me out in the lot when I get out of my car I just tell him the following; "Hey dude, I am going to buy a (insert model here) today. I would really like to buy it here because it is convenient." I would then tell him I want the car at invoice and if he is willing to do a mini I will give him 250.00 or 300.00 cash if he can get the deal done.

Is this ever done? The only reason I am interested in this type of thing is because I hate the whole buying process. I would much rather reward the salesguy for his work and not have to give away the farm to the dealership. I know it's shady and all that but with the way things have gone on my previous purchases I would have no problem doing this.

Just a thought
Old 7/14/04, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by legendlimetime@July 14, 2004, 12:56 PM
Here's a question for any salespeople on here. This scenario is for a 2005 Mustang or similar "in demand" car. What if I were to go to a dealer and when the sales guy meets me out in the lot when I get out of my car I just tell him the following; "Hey dude, I am going to buy a (insert model here) today. I would really like to buy it here because it is convenient." I would then tell him I want the car at invoice and if he is willing to do a mini I will give him 250.00 or 300.00 cash if he can get the deal done.

Is this ever done? The only reason I am interested in this type of thing is because I hate the whole buying process. I would much rather reward the salesguy for his work and not have to give away the farm to the dealership. I know it's shady and all that but with the way things have gone on my previous purchases I would have no problem doing this.

Just a thought
Probably a good idea. Except if the dealer found out they would probably fire the salesman. I doubt they would go for it but who knows?
Old 7/14/04, 01:49 PM
FR500 Member

i got thru i think 3 pages and i already got my own tricks..........i cant wait till they try to screw me over cuz it aint happening
Old 7/14/04, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Another tip for anyone buying a new mustang or any other ford product. Any dealer selling SVT products has to qualify. These dealers are picked by Ford for giving good service and are highly rated in a certain criteria set by Ford. This is why you will see a little dealer in the middle of nowhere with SVT products on their lot and a big dealer sometimes without the first one.
Old 7/14/04, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

well basically when you go to sears that chainsaw is not sold at costs....cant really run a business without income.
dealers are better off with A/D plan sales..they make bout 2K from ford on those

theres alot of people involed in you getting a car.
not really put money in register and drive away=p

Quick Reply: Some pretty cool info