Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius and Nav in 08-09 Shaker 500

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/10, 05:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Sirius and Nav in 08-09 Shaker 500

so I'm still looking at 08/09 GT's while awaiting the 2011's to hit the showrooms . . . and wondering about a couple details:

1) Is Sirius satellite radio included in the 08-09 Shaker system, or did it need to be included as an option? How can you tell if it is installed -- I have seen some cars that have the "wart" on the trunk lid, but they don't seem to have a button labeled "Sirius" on the radio.

2) Did the 08-09 Nav system have the CD music storage capability like the newer one, or was it purely DVD based, meaning it cannot store MP3's on hard disk? Also, I've noticed that the 08-09 Nav system has a button labeled "phone", does that mean it has Bluetooth?

thanks in advance!
Old 4/14/10, 06:15 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius (labled SAT) was an option, not included with the standard Shaker 500 or NAV systems. I understand it can be added afterwards, though. My Mustang does not have it, but my wife's '08 Mountaineer does with the same NAV radio.

The NAV system has a DVD drive for the maps, hidden behind the face, and a 6 CD changer fed through the slot at the top. The CD's can be typical audio CDs or can store MP3s in separate folders in standard computer data format and allow something like 5 hours of music per CD or about 30 hours total. Folder and file name or artist and song name can be displayed and you can switch between songs, folders, or disks with a button push, but you can't get a directory or do a search, alas. That latter point is the only weakness in the system, to me. I think it sounds great.

=Vic=
Old 4/14/10, 06:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bert
so I'm still looking at 08/09 GT's while awaiting the 2011's to hit the showrooms . . . and wondering about a couple details:

1) Is Sirius satellite radio included in the 08-09 Shaker system, or did it need to be included as an option? How can you tell if it is installed -- I have seen some cars that have the "wart" on the trunk lid, but they don't seem to have a button labeled "Sirius" on the radio.

2) Did the 08-09 Nav system have the CD music storage capability like the newer one, or was it purely DVD based, meaning it cannot store MP3's on hard disk? Also, I've noticed that the 08-09 Nav system has a button labeled "phone", does that mean it has Bluetooth?

thanks in advance!
The Satellite radio is an option on the car. The wart on the back is the receiver as you've pointed out. There isn't a "Satellite" button on the radio anywhere. Instead you scroll through the AUX input. That gives you the access to several Satellite programmable channels, as well as access to the line in if your car came equipped.

I don't have the nav unit, but it's my understanding that until 2010 this unit did not have storage for mp3's. The "phone" button does nothing but display a message that says "no phone." The units were probably initially designed to handle bluetooth, or the sync system, but not included at the time.
Old 4/14/10, 09:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

thanks much for those replies, I think that pretty much covers it

I think one of the dealers I spoke with mislead me, either intentionally or by mistake, regarding the bluetooth -- he probably saw the "phone" button on the Nav system and assumed it would actually work, and did not bother to try it or look for the microphone
Old 4/14/10, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
thanks much for those replies, I think that pretty much covers it

I think one of the dealers I spoke with mislead me, either intentionally or by mistake, regarding the bluetooth -- he probably saw the "phone" button on the Nav system and assumed it would actually work, and did not bother to try it or look for the microphone
I added aftermarket XM (not sirus) to my Shaker 500. Works good. Funny though the Shaker reports sirus ready when I power it on. Little does it know.....
Old 4/14/10, 12:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
I added aftermarket XM (not sirus) to my Shaker 500. Works good. Funny though the Shaker reports sirus ready when I power it on. Little does it know.....
XM and Sirius are the same company now. Have been for a while. I'm sure all the head-units come pre-programmed. Cars with sirius just get the antenna and wiring for it all.
Old 4/14/10, 06:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

hmmmm . . . well, I thought I understood what was going on here but now I'm not so sure . . .

I just looked at a sticker for a 2009 GT Premium Bullitt, and it does not show the Sirius radio option installed . . . but the photos of the car do show the satellite antenna wart on the trunk lid.

So did they wire them for the sat radio even if it was not installed?

Or did the Sirius sat radio come standard with the GT Premium shaker 500 system in 2009?
Old 4/14/10, 07:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2008 and 2009 GT premiums came standard with shaker 500 and sirius radio. The navigation radio was an option and it also came with the sirius radio.
Old 4/15/10, 05:13 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce
The Satellite radio is an option on the car. The wart on the back is the receiver as you've pointed out. There isn't a "Satellite" button on the radio anywhere. Instead you scroll through the AUX input. That gives you the access to several Satellite programmable channels, as well as access to the line in if your car came equipped.
The SAT button is a "virtual" button on the touch screen NAV radio, separate from the AUX button, AM, FM, and CD buttons. It may be turned off in some radio programming, but was on in mine. Punching it just gives an error that the satellite receiver isn't installed. On the same radio in my wife's car, which has the satellite radio installed (and the little "wart" on the roof), pushing that button scrolls between 3 sets of Sirius channels.

On neither does the Phone hard button do anything. When I had the Shaker 500, that button would at least mute the radio, but on the NAV units it is non-functional.

=Vic=
Old 4/15/10, 07:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by data174
The 2008 and 2009 GT premiums came standard with shaker 500 and sirius radio. The navigation radio was an option and it also came with the sirius radio.
hmmmm . . . I understand what you are saying and that makes perfect sense with the warts on the trunk lids . . .

But, I'm still confused because some window stickers have "Sirius radio with 6-month subscription" listed as an option at a cost of something like $195, and some don't. Maybe that is for the subscription, not the hardware? (because the hardware is already there standard?)
Old 4/15/10, 07:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Bert check the sticker and see if its the deluxe model. The deluxe models had the standard radio installed and you could have the sirius system installed. When I purchased my 2009 GT/CS they did not mention the sirius system on my sticker but it was installed. You automatically get 6 months free from the factory install or dealer install.
Old 4/16/10, 05:26 AM
GT Member

My 2008 GT Premium did NOT come with satellite radio, no pre-installed "wart" either. Perhaps that changed in a later build (mine sometime late 2007). That said, I would say if the "wart" is there on the trunklid, the satellite radio is installed.

=Vic=
Old 4/16/10, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmounce
XM and Sirius are the same company now. Have been for a while. I'm sure all the head-units come pre-programmed. Cars with sirius just get the antenna and wiring for it all.
While both services have merged their respective programming remain separate. Although you can subscribe to the Best of the other one if you wish. I am hoping that we will see tuners which can work in either band and CODEC and mix seamlessly in the near future. I rejected Ford's assumption that I should listen to Sirus programming and like it. I like XM's line up better. So my car came without factory Sat. on purpose. My first Mod was to get XM installed. While I was at it, I also added an iPod interface. Not the same as simply injecting the audio through the port in the center console. This one taps into one of the AUX inputs of the Shaker and allows for song selection and title display from the Shaker while powering the iPod as well. Plug in the iPod and stick it into the glove box. Done!
Old 4/16/10, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

If a the car has the stock satellite antenna on the trunk, then there is a pretty good chance the SIRIUS hardware is installed (I say "pretty good" because if the car is pre-owned there's a chance the owner put the antenna there themselves). To know for sure, you can simple look in the car to see if the SIRIUS hardware is installed. It's behind the trunk liner on the passanger side (behind where the shaker 1000 subs would be). If it does not have SIRIUS stock, it can be added (I added OEM SIRIUS to my 2006). See this link for discussion for adding the OEM SIRIUS unit.
https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=437303

This link specifically shows where the factory sirius unit is:
https://themustangsource.com/showpos...3&postcount=96
Old 4/16/10, 07:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Bert, go to the search option and enter 2009 ordering guide. It will give all the available pakages for the 2009 mustang by 05fordgt. He has it listed in his thread. It might clear up any questions you might have.
Old 4/20/10, 04:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Bert, go to the search option and enter 2009 ordering guide. It will give all the available pakages for the 2009 mustang . . . .
Thanks for the tip about the ordering guide. The 2009 ordering guide shows the Satelite radio was standard equipment for 2009 for the GT Premium, while the 2008 ordering guide shows it was an option.

But I am still a little confused because I'm pretty sure that I have looked at 2008 Bullitts that DO have the wart on the trunk, but do NOT show the option on the sticker. . . yet some of them do show the option on the sticker, like this one:

http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...HT82HX85200035

I wonder if it changed part way through the 2008 model year?

Another clue that things changed during the year is that the 2008 ordering guide does not list the Bullitt package at all . . .

I guess the bottom line is I just have to check to see if the car actually has sat radio or not.
Old 4/20/10, 05:29 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just buy my 2009 mustang. I will buy it the lifetime sirius deal.

Last edited by Flagstang; 4/21/10 at 10:26 AM.