2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Side Airbag blues....

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/06, 08:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These posts make me wish I had them for safety but my 06 was on the lot no side seat air bags.

I had them on my 05 but hated the looks. I realize that is a small price to pay.
Attached Thumbnails Side Airbag blues....-airbagshow.jpg   Side Airbag blues....-cs3.jpg  
Old 7/10/06, 06:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spend so little time looking at the side of my seat and $500cdn was so little to protect myself and my wife it was a no brainer.
Old 7/10/06, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Cool

Thank goodness they are an option, so I didn't have to get them. I had metal toys with sharp edges when I was a kid, all covered in lead-based paint. I don't know how I ever made it out of childhood.
Old 7/11/06, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Shame on Bill Ford for not making them standard? Sorry but that's a little bit of an extreme reaction. It's an option, get them if you want. Others may not care to spend the $ on them. What's the big deal?
Old 7/11/06, 02:59 PM

Here in Germany it´s completely out of question to order a new car wihout all airbag options available. It´s indeed the cheapest life insurance you can get!! With all the safety discussions in the US for me it´s unbelievable that there are still cars sold with only two airbags. That´s a shame!!! Plastering the cars with a whole freakin bunch of useless and ugly safety stickers in the interior and filling the manuals with dozens of pages with driving lessons instead of real safety issues (like ESP) is simply ridiculous.
I ordered a Mustang because I simply love it, but it won´t be the car I drove my family around (our family Ford has 8 airbags-that´s a deal!!).

Regards from Germany,

Marius
Old 7/11/06, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by thecarguy
Ok, here's the deal... First off I've been a lurker for quite some time and recently put in my order for a silver 07 Mustang GT 5spd with red ICAP and premium trim - yes extremely excited and should have it by end of next week!

On to my issue- I decided rather quickley and without much thought to not order the side airbags. A few weeks went by and it started messing with my mind. I am the type of person that will let something torment me for a while.

This is my thinking, if I were a single guy I would not care about the side airbags, but I'm not and if my wife were injured in a side impact it would kill me. Then I also started thinking about re-sale value, would it be lower?

So a few questions for you all to help me out...

1) Do you have the side airbag option?

2) Do you think I am over thinking it and should just be happy with what I am getting?

3) Do you think it would hurt re-sale value?

As a side note, I am always in the habbit of looking both ways before I drive through an intersection. Not that that necessarily matters.

Thanks in advance!
1) Yes. And very happy I got it. More peace of mind knowing that I have something that it might save my life and/or improve my chance of not getting hurt if I get t-boned.
2) If I was in your shoes, I'd get the side air bags...saving a few bucks by not getting something that improves your safety, it's not my policy.
3) Probably not.

One more note...about the "single guy + not caring for side airbags":
you ought to care for your health as well, it doesn't matter if you are single or not. Side air bags are there for one reason: to protect you from harm. Money best spent, is money spent for safety/health...
One little note: when my wife got her new car a year ago, I pushed her as hard as I could into spending the few extra bucks for side airbags in her car (Scion Xa). Will the side airbags help her one day ? I hope she will never need to see them in action, but if it happens I am glad to know that they are there.

Good luck.
Old 7/11/06, 03:54 PM
GT Member

A friend of mine who's a big car nut was discussing this issue with me. He felt that it should be a no-brainer to order the side airbags from a safety standpoint. He also was fairly certain that side airbags will be mandatory in about 2-3 years. In addition, his opinion was that not having the side airbags might affect resale value after the side bags become law. While the resale value won't offset the initial investment, certainly the extra protection justifies the cost.
Old 7/11/06, 04:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

We ordered it in our '06..

Our neighbor was killed when his head hit the pilar next to him on a very bad side impact..

If it wasn't for that pillar he would have survived.. And he was hit broadside on the passenger side of the vehicle by a train doing 60mph.. There was much intrusion, but the head injury is what did him in.

~Mark
Old 7/11/06, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I ordered them on my '07 GT. Since I will usually have either my wife or one of my daughters in the car with me, it was the least I could do to protect them.

Chip in SC
Old 7/11/06, 11:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

just get a full race cage, race seats, helmets with HANS and you're set
Old 7/12/06, 12:03 AM
GT Member

Looks like my first car (the one without side airbags) is being delivered tomorrow. I think I am going to go down and put some salt in my wounds and take a few pics to tide me over for the second one (with side airbags) I just ordered. I figured I should go down and see how it will all come together...the premium trim, red ICAP and silver exterior with spoiler delete. Should be a pretty car. I'll take some pics.
Old 7/12/06, 07:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE
These posts make me wish I had them for safety but my 06 was on the lot no side seat air bags.

I had them on my 05 but hated the looks. I realize that is a small price to pay.
Hated the looks?!?!?!?

It's one little tag that says airbag!!

They used to use huge plastic panels for side airbags.

You could always cut the tag, though the fireman who are using the jaws of life to pull you out of your car might appreciate knowing there is an airbag there.
Old 7/12/06, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AWmustang
Hated the looks?!?!?!?

It's one little tag that says airbag!!

They used to use huge plastic panels for side airbags.

You could always cut the tag, though the fireman who are using the jaws of life to pull you out of your car might appreciate knowing there is an airbag there.
Its a little late for me to add them on now. I wont say that the tag was the problem, and certainly not in a car class that the looks of them difinitively will make a difference in my case, and no I did not have a choice.....there were none on the car and it was on the lot. I wear my seatbelt and hope I never have THAT happen to me.
Old 7/12/06, 10:07 PM
GT Member

Red face

Wow guys, I am really being tested here. I just sold my car today so now I am without car. It's going to be a rough month or so. Here are some picks of the car that could have been....
Old 7/13/06, 07:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE
Its a little late for me to add them on now. I wont say that the tag was the problem, and certainly not in a car class that the looks of them difinitively will make a difference in my case, and no I did not have a choice.....there were none on the car and it was on the lot. I wear my seatbelt and hope I never have THAT happen to me.
I have no issue with you getting one off the lot that didn't have them.

Of all the reasons not to get them (or not care that you don't have them) I can't figure this one out, since I can't see how they look any different besides a little tag.
Old 7/15/06, 04:47 AM

I work for the company that does the restraints (both belts and bags), and I definitely have them in my 06 - wouldn't be without. You have to consider how little car is between you and whatever you're impacting, in a side impact vs. a front or rear impact. The S197 is a superb platform - extremely crashworthy, but there'a only so much you can do in a door.
Old 7/16/06, 03:52 AM
Bullitt Member

i ordered mine with side airbags , too....... i have a family to protect and i know if something were to happen and i didn't get the bags just to save a few bucks- i couldn't live w/ myself- just my 4 cents....lol