2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Should I Call My Dealer? Am I Being Screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/04, 03:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I ordered my Mustang (Black GT Premium) on 8/17. I have been reading posts on here from people who ordered in late August and even mid-late September who have already gotten their VIN#s, build dates, and DORAs. To date, I have gotten nothing, except a call from my dealer over two weeks ago to tell me about the IUP shortage. When I asked them about pricing (it had been released for about 10 days at the time), I was told that pricing had absolutely, positively not been released yet. Little did my salesman know I was staring at the price print out as he uttered these words. Perhpas I should have said that... but it didn't seem appropriate to say so on the phone, because I couldn't really prove I had it.
I'm really considering calling the dealership today and demanding some information or proof that they even submitted my order to the plant. If they don't have anything, I'm taking my $500 deposit, my $10-12k downpayment, and going somewhere else. It's been six weeks, here we are bleeding into October, and my hands are empty. Yet, others on this forum who ordered well after me have build dates for early/mid October!! Man, I'm so unhappy right now.
The dealership I am going to is Nassau/Conover Ford-Lincoln-Mercury in Princeton, NJ. At dealerconnections.com, it says they are "Blue Oval Certified", but then again it seems all fifty dealerships listed in the area are Blue Oval Certified, so I don't know if that really means a thing. They aren't Quality Checked. Anyone go to these guys? Anyone know anything about their track record?
Can anyone of experience advise me on what to do? I don't want to scew up a good deal and at the same time I don't want to be screwed. I really don't know what to do.
Old 9/30/04, 03:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Go in to your dealer and tell them exactly how you're feeling. If you feel like they're giving you the run around, go somewhere else. At the very least they should have a partial VIN. If they cannot provide even a partial vin, ask to see the order confirmation sheet. Good luck Charlie.
Old 9/30/04, 04:29 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm with Jim, go to the dealer and ask to see proof the order has been booked on the system. If not, go somewhere else as the dealer obviously doesn't have YOUR best interests at heart.

Good luck with it

James
Old 9/30/04, 04:45 AM
Queen Of Nascar

I agree. Voice your concerns. Tell them what you already know and I also say Good Luck to you.
Old 9/30/04, 05:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Agreed! You have to stick up for yourself. You are paying YOUR hard-earned $$, you deserve honest service. If they won't give it, someone else will. I'd march in there TODAY and firmly but politely ask what the heck is going on.
Old 9/30/04, 05:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Demand accountability from them. They are working for you, keep that thought in mind. If you still feel as though they are stiffing you, fire them

Jason
Old 9/30/04, 06:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

It seems that you have alreaady gottem some good advice. Good luck.
Old 9/30/04, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with all the advice given so far, but let me just add that when the dealer says there is no pricing...what he might mean is that they have not yet been invoiced from Ford.
Old 9/30/04, 09:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Charlie,

I don't want to sound like a jerk but you've got about 30 posts and the majority of them are about you either getting misinformation or no information from your dealer. Have you given any thought to just finding a dealer you like and trust and going from there? Nobody wants to start the process over after waiting for some time, but if they aren't shooting straight with you now, how well do you think it will go for the next 2,5 or 10 years that you own the car?

Just my $.02

Paul
Old 9/30/04, 09:36 AM
GT Member

I felt exactly like you do because it took so long to get any results. Ordered early July and barely got a VIN this week. On the DORA that I received it states that the order was submitted to Ford on July 16. Why it took so long for Ford to accept the order and assign a VIN I have no idea but the dealer was telling me all along that "maybe next week" something will happen. I guess he was telling me the truth. In my situation I think it was a dealer allocation issue and maybe that is the case with your dealer. Then again maybe your dealer is pulling something over on you??? As other people have advised, your best bet is to just go into the dealer and be honest and tell them how you feel. Be nice until it's time to not be nice anymore.
Old 9/30/04, 10:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs down

Spoke to my dealer this morning. I was quite firm (but polite) and got results. Due to to the commodity hold on the IUP, my car, along with a bunch of others, was put on a "Temporary Hold", but the Sales Manager told me call him Saturday morning for a VIN# and a build date, as the hold was removed and their computers are updated on Fridays. He said I would definitely have both by Saturday morning and apologized for the lack of communication between us.
Thanks everybody for the advice! I followed it to a T and it worked.
To add the icing on the cake, I came home and ran a credit check on myself and found that I had a Score of 739!! That's an EXCELLENT rating according to the three credit bureaus. With y downpayment of $11k, I don't think I have to worry about getting approved for financing... in fact, my father told me I will getting quite a low rate... he'll be there to help me out with that if they try to screw me on that.
Sorry if I was being annoying... I'm only 21, and this is my first car buying experience. I own a '67 Shelby GT 500, and I enjoy working on cars and racing them... but not buying them, lol. It was all a little daunting, but now, thanks to this message board, I am not afraid to go into a dealership and give them what for, lol.
I'll post again when I join the ranks of those who have build dates. B)

Oh yeah.. I will NOT be receiving any sort of service from this dealership (unless covered in the warranty). I'm a "hands-on" sort of guy when it comes to modding/repairing my vehicles. I don't care how much I trust my dealership, I wouldn't let them change my oil if they paid me... I'd only go for a repair under warranty, and if I did, it would be one down here in Ocean County, not in Princeton.
Old 9/30/04, 10:55 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Congratulations!! Way to get results!!
Old 9/30/04, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Congrats OBleeding me, I would still suggest that you have the dealer fax a copy of your DORA. My dealer told me that he submitted my order with priority 10 but on the DORA the priority was set to 99.
He tells me that Ford changes priorities and he will have to set it back to a 10.
If I find out that he didn't change it, I will be screwed.
So check the DORA if you haven't already.
Old 9/30/04, 11:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Red/Black GT@September 30, 2004, 11:36 AM
Congrats OBleeding me, I would still suggest that you have the dealer fax a copy of your DORA. My dealer told me that he submitted my order with priority 10 but on the DORA the priority was set to 99.
He tells me that Ford changes priorities and he will have to set it back to a 10.
If I find out that he didn't change it, I will be screwed.
So check the DORA if you haven't already.
Ford does NOT change priority codes. Most dealers use the 99 priority when spec-ing vehicles with customers so they don't get accidently ordered and built. When the dealer actually submits the order they need to change the priority to a lower number so that it gets pulled. Ford won't change it, the dealer probably just forget to update the number before submitting the order. They should just go into their CONCEPS system, update it and you'll be all set.
Old 9/30/04, 11:58 AM
GT Member

Thanks Karpro, this is the exact information I was looking for in a different thread that I posted.
I will check with my dealer to see if he has done that.