2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Scratched Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/07, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratched Window Tinting

Hi all,
I got my windows tinted a few years back, but almost immediately (two months or so) I noticed that there are scratch marks going up and down both the drivers and passenger doors. Has anyone else had this problem? If so is there a way to fix it?

I have a lifetime warranty on the tints, do you think they would re-do them, even though it is probably the faulty windows?
Old 8/1/07, 02:57 PM
Cobra Member

Search on this website for "mole skin"
Old 8/1/07, 03:23 PM
Cobra Member

Or "moleskin". It's unlikely they'll cover the tint, but it never hurts to ask. If they didn't warn you that your car could damage the tint when they sold it to you then I'd give them a hard time. There's a good chance they'll do it one time, but with no subsequent warranty. Then you can add moleskins and be done with it.
Old 8/1/07, 09:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Emperor008
Hi all,
I got my windows tinted a few years back, but almost immediately (two months or so) I noticed that there are scratch marks going up and down both the drivers and passenger doors. Has anyone else had this problem? If so is there a way to fix it?

I have a lifetime warranty on the tints, do you think they would re-do them, even though it is probably the faulty windows?

http://www.tintprotector.com/ford/index.htm
Old 8/1/07, 10:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I got V-Kool 70 (www.v-kool.com) which is the most expensive tint on the market because it has gold, silver, and titanium in the material and thus boasts the highest solar rejection of any tint. Within a week it looked like I had taken razors up and down the windows due to that cheap Ford weather channel. I installed the moleskin myself and went back to the tint shop and complained. They replaced it for free under warranty. In fact, I was told that my 5 year warranty will even cover me if a cop decides to ask me to remove the front windshield tinting during the yearly traffic department inspection.

While I doubt that your tinting has this kind of warranty, I would still try to get them to replace it. If you think about it, it’s really the shop's fault for not informing you that you need velcro or moleskin on the weather channel. Stand your ground and demand to speak to management. My tint shop didn't even try to argue, but they did explain themselves saying that they normally only work on Aston Martins and Porsches and were not aware of how cheap Ford manufacturing quality is. Good luck on your endeavor, and if they don’t offer to replace it for free try to find a V-Kool tint shop in your area and go with them.
Old 8/2/07, 01:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

funny seeing as how until 4 months ago Aston Martin was owned and run by the Ford Motor Company and sold it to a couple of Aston Martin car owners/investors
Old 8/2/07, 01:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

but yeah when i decided to get tint i ordered moleskin 2 days before the install so what i did was remove the weather strip and hand the car over to the installers. The moleskin came in 3 days after they installed the tint so once i got it on i could roll down the windows and no problems at all even now there is not a single scratch or mark, my friends on the other hand was scratched about a week after he got his tint since he did not add felt or moleskin. It is a good product for the price, i mean $30 for more than enough material to do both doors and it protects the $150+ you spent on the tint
Old 8/2/07, 06:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=55905

Old 8/2/07, 09:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by zaghloul
I got V-Kool 70 (www.v-kool.com) which is the most expensive tint on the market because it has gold, silver, and titanium in the material and thus boasts the highest solar rejection of any tint. Within a week it looked like I had taken razors up and down the windows due to that cheap Ford weather channel.

My tint shop didn't even try to argue, but they did explain themselves saying that they normally only work on Aston Martins and Porsches and were not aware of how cheap Ford manufacturing quality is. Good luck on your endeavor, and if they don’t offer to replace it for free try to find a V-Kool tint shop in your area and go with them.
http://www.mercedesforum.com/m_54350..._1/key_/tm.htm
I have a 2005 C230K and had my windows professionally tinted with ceramic tint earlier this summer. Jus trecently I noticed vertical scratches on the tint mainly in the drivers and passenger side windows (the ones I open most frequently). I took it back and the installers told me that this is common to Mercedes' and other luxury cars because the mechanisms holding the windows is so superior that they are usually very tight and any little bit of dirt that naturally seeps into the window sills will cause it to scratch.

Ford is cheap as Mercedes, Acura, Honda, Nissan & Toyota

Old 8/2/07, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess I was being a little too harsh on Ford. They are all cheap bastards. Moleskin or an equivalent surface should come standard in all cars. On a large scale order it will probably cost them less than 10 bucks a car, so they really have no excuse. The outside weather channel is covered with a soft surface.
Old 8/2/07, 02:50 PM

Thanks for all of the help, I am going to go back to the tint place this weekend. (Crossing my fingers for some good news). But they probably had no idea about that. Ford really needs to get their acts together about manufacturing quality cars. 25-30,000 for a car that really doesn't include much on the luxury end...but then again, Mustangs were never designed for luxury.
Old 8/2/07, 03:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't consider any manufacturer cheap because what they have works fine with the factory equipment.
Old 8/2/07, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
I wouldn't consider any manufacturer cheap because what they have works fine with the factory equipment.
+1 Window tint is aftermarket equipment. NO manufacturer is going to spend a dime trying to make their car more compatible with aftermarket equipment. It's there to keep the glass from rattling and not much else. It does that well. If they're able to find a less expensive means to fill that need then more power to them. That's hardly a reason to call them cheap.
Old 8/2/07, 03:13 PM
Cobra Member

I got V-Kool 70 (www.v-kool.com) which is the most expensive tint on the market because it has gold, silver, and titanium in the material and thus boasts the highest solar rejection of any tint. Within a week it looked like I had taken razors up and down the windows due to that cheap Ford weather channel. I installed the moleskin myself and went back to the tint shop and complained. They replaced it for free under warranty. In fact, I was told that my 5 year warranty will even cover me if a cop decides to ask me to remove the front windshield tinting during the yearly traffic department inspection.

While I doubt that your tinting has this kind of warranty, I would still try to get them to replace it. If you think about it, it’s really the shop's fault for not informing you that you need velcro or moleskin on the weather channel. Stand your ground and demand to speak to management. My tint shop didn't even try to argue, but they did explain themselves saying that they normally only work on Aston Martins and Porsches and were not aware of how cheap Ford manufacturing quality is. Good luck on your endeavor, and if they don’t offer to replace it for free try to find a V-Kool tint shop in your area and go with them.
If it has that kind of warranty it's not as expensive as you think. They're got A LOT of margin built into that installation if they're willing to remove it and re-install it for yearly inspections.
Old 8/2/07, 03:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think most people are not THAT particular about window tint issues down the road and playing the odds on how many will come back for replacements makes a great warranty like that profitable in the long run.
Old 8/2/07, 03:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I have used LLUMAR on all my vehicles and have been very happy with it. It carries a lifetime warranty for as long as you own the vehicle. And I know what you are all thinking about the warranty, you pay the labor they pay for the product but not true. They cover it 100%. I have a '98 expedition that over the years I have had to have two windows redone because one got "foggy" looking and the other had light scratches. I walked in and showed them the warranty and they said no problem both times.
Old 8/3/07, 11:12 AM

Bad news. Tint place said they won't replace the tinted windows because they only cover peeling and bubbling, not scratching from the weather strip being too tight. They told me to go to Ford and see if they will put a piece of felt on, or loosen the strip from hugging the windows so much. I don't think I want them loosened, they are tight for a reason! I asked them if I installed the Moleskin, or if Ford did it what should I do. They said give them a call back. This sounds like I will be paying for a re-tint. I'm gonna fight for at least a discount however.