2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

The SCOOP PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/04, 02:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not being difficult, its just a refundable deposit doesn't make any sense to me, it seems the same as not putting a deposit down at all if I can go in and take it back at anytime. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of putting a deposit down?
Old 5/22/04, 02:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Nazgul+May. 22nd, 2004, 1:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nazgul @ May. 22nd, 2004, 1:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-holderca1@May. 22nd, 2004, 12:39 PM
Okay, I was told by a dealer that I could come in this Monday and place my order with a non-refundable deposit of $1,000. When can I realistically expect delivery of the car?
Should he be paying a non-refundable deposit at all? [/b][/quote]
I wouldnt. If you want to look 100% "serious" you can allow them to take a deposit and cash the check, but still should have a "mini-contract" stating that the deposit is refundable AFTER the vehicle is sold, wether you or someone else buys the car. I wouldnt go any further then that.
Old 5/22/04, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1@May. 22nd, 2004, 4:12 PM
I am not being difficult, its just a refundable deposit doesn't make any sense to me, it seems the same as not putting a deposit down at all if I can go in and take it back at anytime. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of putting a deposit down?
It doesn't matter if it makes sense to you. "You" are not the general public.

This is part of an email I received from a dealer when I was asking about their policy on deposits, which by the way is a $500 fully refundable deposit.

I recieved your quote request from ford direct in regards to your intrest in trhe 2005 ford mustang gt. To answer your question on the refundable deposit, usually to order a car you would have to leave a minimum of $500.00 in most cases you must be more than positive that you want the car we usually like to deliver the ordered car and not think of the deal cancelling. Is there a reason you would consider cancelling an order? The dealership is very good about be honest to customers and some cases would definetly get you a refund such as if :

a) The order came in damaged

B ) if we as the dealer ordered the car wrong (options other than requested)

c) if the financing didnt go through

d) or any thing discussed or arranged prior to sale!!!!!!!

If any of those four things went wrong, you'd be stuck with the car or out $1000. I am just trying to help you. If you don't want help, thats fine, I can't stop you from making dumb decisions. Its your money.

But the car can come in blue when you wanted red, the dealership says "this is what you ordered, take it or leave it" and you'd be out of luck.
Old 5/22/04, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Grantsdale+May. 22nd, 2004, 2:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grantsdale @ May. 22nd, 2004, 2:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-holderca1@May. 22nd, 2004, 4:12 PM
It doesn't matter if it makes sense to you. "You" are not the general public.

This is part of an email I received from a dealer when I was asking about their policy on deposits, which by the way is a $500 fully refundable deposit.

I recieved your quote request from ford direct in regards to your intrest in trhe 2005 ford mustang gt. To answer your question on the refundable deposit, usually to order a car you would have to leave a minimum of $500.00 in most cases you must be more than positive that you want the car we usually like to deliver the ordered car and not think of the deal cancelling. Is there a reason you would consider cancelling an order? The dealership is very good about be honest to customers and some cases would definetly get you a refund such as if :

a) The order came in damaged

B ) if we as the dealer ordered the car wrong (options other than requested)

c) if the financing didnt go through

d) or any thing discussed or arranged prior to sale!!!!!!!

If any of those four things went wrong, you'd be stuck with the car or out $1000. I am just trying to help you. If you don't want help, thats fine, I can't stop you from making dumb decisions. Its your money. [/b][/quote]
I do want help, and that post you just made is the first one that in fact did help, I will take that to the dealer and make sure that if any of those four things happen, I either get a new order put in or my deposit back to go elsewhere. Thanks!!
Old 5/22/04, 02:51 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TampaBear67@May. 22nd, 2004, 12:57 PM
Yeah man sounds like the Dealer is just trying to Rip You Off! DO NOT, Ever Agree to a Non Refundable Deposit on a Car! :nono: that is just Bad Business!
Especially when you can't negotiate a price because prices don't exist yet
Old 5/22/04, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by dustindu4+May. 22nd, 2004, 2:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dustindu4 @ May. 22nd, 2004, 2:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TampaBear67@May. 22nd, 2004, 12:57 PM
Yeah man sounds like the Dealer is just trying to Rip You Off! DO NOT, Ever Agree to a Non Refundable Deposit on a Car! :nono: that is just Bad Business!
Especially when you can't negotiate a price because prices don't exist yet [/b][/quote]
Well you can't negotiate an exact dollar amount but you can negotiate in relation to MSRP and invoice, for example, you can agree to a price with a dealer at $500 below MSRP.
Old 5/22/04, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by holderca1+May. 22nd, 2004, 4:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (holderca1 @ May. 22nd, 2004, 4:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by dustindu4@May. 22nd, 2004, 2:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TampaBear67
@May. 22nd, 2004, 12:57 PM

Well you can't negotiate an exact dollar amount but you can negotiate in relation to MSRP and invoice, for example, you can agree to a price with a dealer at $500 below MSRP. [/b][/quote]
With each dealership getting only 2, I can pretty much guarantee you won't get that unless you are on X-Plan or one of other other Ford plans
Old 5/22/04, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Grantsdale+May. 22nd, 2004, 3:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grantsdale @ May. 22nd, 2004, 3:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by holderca1@May. 22nd, 2004, 4:59 PM
Originally posted by dustindu4@May. 22nd, 2004, 2:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TampaBear67
@May. 22nd, 2004, 12:57 PM

Well you can't negotiate an exact dollar amount but you can negotiate in relation to MSRP and invoice, for example, you can agree to a price with a dealer at $500 below MSRP.
With each dealership getting only 2, I can pretty much guarantee you won't get that unless you are on X-Plan or one of other other Ford plans [/b][/quote]
That was just an example to make sure he understood what I was saying, here is another example, $5,000 over MSRP.
Old 5/22/04, 03:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Grantsdale@May. 22nd, 2004, 4:19 PM
With each dealership getting only 2, I can pretty much guarantee you won't get that unless you are on X-Plan or one of other other Ford plans
X-plan.... you cracks me up.
Old 5/22/04, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kevinb120+May. 22nd, 2004, 5:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ May. 22nd, 2004, 5:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Grantsdale@May. 22nd, 2004, 4:19 PM
X-plan.... you cracks me up. [/b][/quote]
Until I see something from Ford saying they aren't offering it, I will still be under the assumption I am getting it.
Old 5/22/04, 04:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

They OFFER it, but the dealer? I was already informed to "not bother" ordering one on the first few batches. And Ive moved several hundred vehicles at the dealer, am the SVT guru here and master certified, will be the one guy at the dealer to get us sales qualified for the hybrid so we will be allowed inventory, and handle the sponsorship of events for a local mustang club, me and my family have bought over 10 vehicles here, and management will NOT promise me A plan for the first couple months. Its common knowledge I will simply buy one when I get around to it.
I just went to upper management and asked, "how horney should I be for the 05 GT's?" they said wait till early winter. Im waiting out the handling package/18" possiblilty anyway and am not going into winter this year with a 2 month old car.
Old 5/22/04, 04:40 PM
Banned

Well, for me personally, the agreement I have with me buying the car is that they honor D-Plan. Otherwise I can walk away.
Old 5/22/04, 04:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

I was more interested if it was worth the trouble right away. I can drive them on the lot whenever I want, and will have a different one each week to take to the club meetings. I dont want to get duped on a packaging change 4 months after release either.
Old 5/22/04, 05:56 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

But at the same time, strangely

I am moving back to civilization this week. Now I can look forward to getting this thing for my Birthday next year. All bets are off, after reading this I am not going within a mile of the Ford Dealer till next year.

And besides, by then I will no longer be upside down on my trade in B)

Something ELSE to look forward to.
Old 5/22/04, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TampaBear67@May. 22nd, 2004, 11:57 AM
A non refundable deposit on a car that does not exist.

Next.
Old 5/22/04, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@May. 22nd, 2004, 7:59 PM

But at the same time, strangely

I am moving back to civilization this week. Now I can look forward to getting this thing for my Birthday next year. All bets are off, after reading this I am not going within a mile of the Ford Dealer till next year.

And besides, by then I will no longer be upside down on my trade in B)

Something ELSE to look forward to.
Let me speak for everyone when I say "Ohhhh no!!!"
Old 5/22/04, 07:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by holderca1+May. 22nd, 2004, 2:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (holderca1 @ May. 22nd, 2004, 2:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Grantsdale@May. 22nd, 2004, 1:40 PM
I plan on paying for mine CASH. Every cent. But I would never dream of putting a non-refundable deposit down. What if (god forbid) something happens to you and you can't afford the car anymore? Thats $1000 down the drain.
Well the only way I would lose my job is if I commit a crime and I am not planning on doing that anytime soon. I don't see why a dealer would accept a refundable deposit. What would stop me from coming back when the car came in and saying that I don't want it, give me my deposit back and then the dealer is stuck with a car that he may not be able to sell. [/b][/quote]
Yea but to take a non-refundable deposit for a vehicle they may not be able to even provide for the customer in a timely fashion that another dealer can, or a life-changing event...............

Best bet is a refundable deposit that is guranteed to
A. Be refundable (for the buyer)and
B. Has the stipulation that the deposit is refundable ONLY after someone buys the car(even if you take it and have to wait until it is sold)

If you can sway an agreed price-point in relation to the vehicles pricing structure as opposed to a flat, and as yet unknown cost (i.e. $500 under sticker or 5% over invoice, or no more then factory MSRP, something like that), then more power to you.

should be convincing enough for any dealer if they are really fussy about it. I mean, what more can a consumer offer realistically

I could see a non-refundable deposit for a sign-painter making a billboard for your business, but not a mainstream car. Maybe the GT supercar, but not a Mustang
Old 5/22/04, 07:12 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Non refundable deposits, and a guy thinks hes getting D plan on a car from first batch with 2 units alocated per dealer.
Why do dense people always get jobs that pay so well ,yet all I can land is crap jobs?? :bang: :bang:

I see BIG TIME market value markups on the first batch(maybe as high as 20G,10G easy)Maybe on the second batch also.
Old 5/22/04, 07:16 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by snakeeyes@May. 22nd, 2004, 8:15 PM
Non refundable deposits, and a guy thinks hes getting D plan on a car from first batch with 2 units alocated per dealer.
Why do dense people always get jobs that pay so well ,yet all I can land is crap jobs?? :bang: :bang:

I see BIG TIME market value markups on the first batch(maybe as high as 20G,10G easy)Maybe on the second batch also.
Har har har.

My dealer promised me mine for FREE and I will get it three weeks early.

Yea right..
Old 5/22/04, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by snakeeyes@May. 22nd, 2004, 7:15 PM

A 4 yr engineering degree helped me get a good job, if the dealer demands anything over sticker when I go in on Monday, I am gonna walk, I am going to have to wait approx. 6 months anyway on this car, I have no problem waiting a couple more months and saving a lot of money that I can spend on an engagement ring my girlfriend has her eye on.

Quick Reply: The SCOOP PART 2