2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Replace TPMS bands again???

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/08, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace TPMS bands again???

Last year I had switched from stock rims to another rim and at that time had the TPMS switched to the new rim as well. I had found out that the factory bands that secured the sensors to the rims had to be cut and discarded with me having to purchase new bands from the dealership. I was told, or so I thought, that once the factory bands were cut off and they used the Ford replacement bands, these new bands were reusable. Today I'm told that this is not the case, that I have to purchase new bands again @ 65.00 each. The guy said that because they crimp them they are not reusable just like the factory bands.
Am I getting hosed, or is there any truth to this?
Old 2/1/08, 01:37 PM
GT Member

Don't buy the Ford bands...

Get the ones from American Muscle. Cheaper and reusable.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/universal-tpms-bands.html
Old 2/1/08, 01:39 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I got new wheels and tires installed last month at Discount Tire locally. I was not planning on putting the TPMS on the new wheels but the salesman said that they would sell me new bands for like $7.00 and simply take the sensor off the old bands and put them on the new bands, leaving the old bands on the old wheels if I ever wanted to switch back.

I have the old tires on the old wheels so i can't tell you if there is actually bands still on those wheels, but from what they tell me they are.

Long story short you can reuse the sensors moving them around from band to band, but you cannot reuse the bands. As far as I know.
Old 2/1/08, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys. So basically I got hosed by the dealer then. Last time, when they told me the price of the replacement bands I said that I would get them somewhere else and was told that the ones they put on were removable too. So I paid the inflated price just to get it over with and thought that I was a little wiser from the experience....wrong

tr6nut, I followed your advice and placed my order with American Muscle for 4 bands which totaled the same price as only 1 Ford band. If these don't work out I'm going to try the pressurized pcv pipe trick.
Thanks again guys for your help.