2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start!

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/05, 09:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For whoever has the possibillity to purchase a remote start kit I highly recommend it. It is awesome to be able to come out of work, and have it be 10 degrees, but car is toasty warm. Adds a few features as well. If you dont have the global open window with remote, you can add up and down thru aux buttons. The model I have is the viper 160xv. I highly recommend getting one. Fun all around.
Old 12/10/05, 01:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How much, and can it be used with a 5 speed manual tranny?
Old 12/11/05, 12:10 AM
Cobra Member

There are legal and safety issues when it comes to remote starters for manual transmissions.

-Dan
Old 12/11/05, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Cleveland@December 11, 2005, 2:13 AM
There are legal and safety issues when it comes to remote starters for manual transmissions.

-Dan
What are they? I'm guessing leaving it in gear might be one of them, but I really have no idea..please share
Old 12/12/05, 01:19 AM

-Dan
No there aren't. :nono:

A remote start system designed for a manual transmission car is completely safe. I have been using them in my cars since 1994.

It is designed to assure that the car is in neutral with the handbrake engaged when everyone has exited the vehicle.

This is how it works.

1) When you park your car you leave the engine running with the transmission in neutral and apply the handbrake.

2) You push the button on the remote and remove your key from the ignition. The engine will continue to run.

3) You exit the vehicle and close all doors.You then push on the remote button killing the engine.

4) The remote starter is now armed. If at any time a door is opened the start sequence is disabled. This assures that nobody accidentally puts the car in gear while getting something out of the vehicle.

Here you will find all the wiring info with photos required for an 05 Mustang.

In Canada a 1 way remote start with 1000' range sells for $129.99 + installation.
A 2 way remote start with 2000' range and start confirmation sells for $229.99 + installation.
They usually go on special a couple of times a year for around 30% off.
Old 12/12/05, 09:15 AM
GT Member

-Dan
Anyone intested in remote start for manual transmissions should also check out Ultra Start (http://www.ultrastarters.com/). I have one of theirs specifically designed for manual transmissions and it works great. There is a specific procedure to shutting down the car so that it can be remote started, but it is not difficult or cumbersome.

Step 1 - While the vehicle is running with the key, place the transmission into neutral and apply the park brake.
Step 2 - Press and release the brake pedal twice. The park lights will flash twice, the siren will chirp twice and the doors will unlock (optional).
Step 3 - Turn the ignition key off and the vehicle will continue running.
Step 4 - Exit the vehicle and close all the doors. The vehicle will then shut off *.

Owners manuals are available on the web site so you can read all about this. I have the 2-way version with alarm and I love it. Because the range is great, I can start the car from my desk and get confirmation on the remote that it is started.

-TRB
Old 12/12/05, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

What is the "stage 2" system? Other than the greater range, is there any other features? Also, if you had to run out to your car to grab something, would you have to then start the car again and go through the process to rearm the system? Seems like that would be a PIA if all you needed was the phone (or whatever) you forgot in your car.
Old 12/12/05, 09:43 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by sodaman@December 10, 2005, 8:21 AM
For whoever has the possibillity to purchase a remote start kit I highly recommend it. It is awesome to be able to come out of work, and have it be 10 degrees, but car is toasty warm. Adds a few features as well. If you dont have the global open window with remote, you can add up and down thru aux buttons. The model I have is the viper 160xv. I highly recommend getting one. Fun all around.

Dan,
Did you install this yourself? I ordered the alarm from Ford, friend has on on a early 05 and he can lower the windows with the button. They stopped it in mid production of the 05's. Don't know why, do you?
Bet you are enjoying your new Mustang, I sure am enjoying ours.
Dan
Old 12/12/05, 11:10 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by stang9325@December 12, 2005, 11:40 AM
What is the "stage 2" system? Other than the greater range, is there any other features? Also, if you had to run out to your car to grab something, would you have to then start the car again and go through the process to rearm the system? Seems like that would be a PIA if all you needed was the phone (or whatever) you forgot in your car.
I'm not sure what the "stage 2" system is. I couldn't find any reference to it on the web site.

If you want to run out to your car to grab something, you can start the car using the remote before opening the door and that will keep the car in "reservation mode" allowing your car to be restarted via remote again later. Once you close the door, you just hold the start button and the car will shut off. It's a little bit of a pain, but worth it to me to have remote start with a manual tranmission.

-TRB
Old 12/12/05, 03:00 PM
Cobra R Member

I also have the factory active alarm, this is just a add on to that. no i bought a viper remote start system thru custom sounds. They can install and do all regular factory buttons, also can add features to certain buttons. You can program it to roll down and up windows. This is the aftermarket add ons. the factory global down feature is no longer added into 06's. Supposedly got rid of it for security reasons. I have heard rumors of them bringing it back but until then you can do it better. Since the factory 05 will only go down, not up. If you had a sunroof or something else you could program that instead. Either way I love my new stang. Remote starting will make sure it is warmed up properly before taking off, and leaves me with a nice warm car. good luck to those that want one.