2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Question to current & future '05 owners

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/04, 05:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many people are buying the '05 Mustang, who really were not in the market to buy a new car?

I am one of those people. And honestly I was really looking to buy a late 60's GT or Shelby next Summer. But when I saw the '05 up close and personal, I changed my mind. The '05 really has all the bases covered, it has the looks of the 60's enough base power to build on and the peace of mind that it is a brand new vehicle with a warranty.

Just curious,

Mike
Old 12/3/04, 05:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've been wanting to buy a brand new mustang since I could remember. Just graduating from college, landing a great job, and the 05 coming out......its a no brainer for me!!! I cant wait until mine gets here!
Old 12/3/04, 05:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I am one of those people, Mike. Originally I was planning to replace my 2000 Taurus with a new Five Hundred in 2006. However, all year long I had my eye on the Mustang and said last Spring, half jokingly, "If I fit in a new Mustang, I'm buying a Mustang." I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 185 lbs.

When the new models appeared in the showrooms, I sat inside them just out of curiosity. I was disappointed with the way I felt in a Five Hundred, but very surprised at how comfortable I was behind the wheel of a Mustang.

Then I got the bug. Through an online inventory search, I found that the dealer I purchased my Taurus from had exactly the car I would have wanted. For a week I wrestled with the idea of buying it. Finally, I got up the nerve to ask if the car was actually available. I was told it hadn't actually arrived yet, that it was expected any day, and that it wasn't yet spoken for. My mind was made up. It's mine!

Being the first and only '05 Mustang to arrive at this dealer for a while, I paid sticker price for the car. I was prepared for that and didn't mind. I knew I was paying for the privilege of being one of the first guys in my area with such a sweet ride, and I've gotten every penny's worth!
Old 12/3/04, 06:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I was saving to buy a new car, but was not able to afford the 05. I figured I would wait a year and see where I stand. Maybe buy a used 05. But then I got some very good news and I was able to buy an 05 Mustang GT.
Old 12/3/04, 06:07 AM
V6 Member

I fell in love with the retro style body the first time I saw it. I have a 1965 Fastback in show condition. I bought the 05 as a investment, so I could have both cars fourty years apart. Both cars are the same color. They look awesome parked beside each other.
Old 12/3/04, 06:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by DirtyDave@December 3, 2004, 8:10 AM
I fell in love with the retro style body the first time I saw it. I have a 1965 Fastback in show condition. I bought the 05 as a investment, so I could have both cars fourty years apart. Both cars are the same color. They look awesome parked beside each other.
Would love to see a picture of that!!
Old 12/3/04, 06:09 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been in the market for a new car, have had my current ride for about 3 years and needed a change.
Old 12/3/04, 06:15 AM
GT Member

I have a '65 Convertible and would like to add an '05 Convertible possibly. I love the new car! In fact, I like it so much, that if push came to shove, I might sell the old one to buy a new one. But, for now, I'm trying to maintain some semblance of control to avoid the dreaded payment book that would accompany my new Stang!
Old 12/3/04, 06:22 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by orthoguy@December 3, 2004, 6:44 AM
How many people are buying the '05 Mustang, who really were not in the market to buy a new car?

I am one of those people. And honestly I was really looking to buy a late 60's GT or Shelby next Summer. ...

Mike
You were looking for a $100,000 to $250,000 Shelby (barret-jackson value) but decided to go for an '05 GT instead? Not only will you have a warranty but you'll also save a couple of bucks too.
Old 12/3/04, 06:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm definitely in the market for a new car, but never would have guessed I'd be buying a mustang. My 91 Civic Si is about 750 miles shy of 200,000, the goal I wanted to reach when I bought it nearly 14 years ago. A few months ago I was sitting home on Sunday afternoon (okay, nursing a hangover!) flipping through the channels and happened upon a show that I don't remember the name of, but it was about a performance car builder in the Chicago area that had ebay sponsor a project he was working on. The project was to buy a car on ebay and give it a makeover into a high performance racer. He bought an early model mustang and modeled it after the 2005 model. This was my first glimpse of the car, I raced to my computer during a commercial, poundiing headache and all, to find out more info./photos on the new car, and the rest is history! I've been cruising Ford dealer's lots to see the 05s and surfing the net to read all I can about them.

Being a Honda owner, I thought I'd be in the market for an Acura TSX, Infiniti G35, or Lexus IS300, but NOT A CHANCE after seeing the new mustang and having a fantastic test drive experience recently!

I'll be ordering a Legend Lime Premium GT in January and hope for delivery in March. Don't want to put a Wisconsin winter on the new baby right away. Until I get my own, I'll live vicariously through all of you lucky bastards on this site!
Old 12/3/04, 06:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

I was satisfied with my 2 1/2 year old car, but was bitten back in Jan. when I saw the first pictures of the 05...
Old 12/3/04, 07:03 AM
GT Member

heh. funny you should ask. I just bought a used 2001 BMW m3 convertible this spring. My dream car for years and years, career and a good deal had finally put it within reach. It was high mileage, but beautiful, and I was elated. After a couple months, I began my relationship with my girlfriend, "the one" i plan on spending the rest of my life with. The M, mostly not of its own fault, was a headache. A shady buying experience that among other things has left me 9 months later with no title (i've filed for a duplicate), and the typical high costs of a luxury sports car.

I'd been aware of the 05 at it's unveiling, but it got overlooked in my m3 lust. A visit with the gf a few months back when the motor trend cover came out set everything emotion. We're both enthusiasts, but she was more american mustle and I, european and foreign sports sedans (though my pre-bmw car was a Ford Lightning ). We both fell in love with the stang all over again, and started talking about getting her one for her law school graduation. Next thing I knew, we started talking and figured it out *I* could enefit from a new car. The stang had beautiful stirring lines, amazing power for the price, and a warranty. It would helped me reduce costs, and get my affairs in order for starting a new life together with my girlfriend, and she loved it as much as I did. I was also attracted to it's potential for modification. I'd always been interested in tuning and customization, researching on all of my cars' potential but never doing anything. After a couple weeks at launch fruitlessly calling, I managed to find my new baby on my friends lot, and here we are.
Old 12/3/04, 07:12 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I graduated from university in 2003 and planned on buying a new Mustang shortly after (maybe a Mach1, or a Cobra)

At the time, they were showing concept sketches of the "retro" '05 they were doing, and I was sold the minute I saw the concept cars. I decided to wait until '05 and save my money for a downpayment. Good thing I have waited, because there were bumps along the way, but I am on the road to owning a great first car.
Old 12/3/04, 07:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I fell in love with the concept in 2003 during my high school computer class (the teacher didnt know what he was doing so I surf the net for 45 mins/day). I said to myself, "That car will be mine."

Well after just 1 year of big boy school a job was handed to me while I continue my education, and needless to say, thats all she wrote. After the dust settled on my credit, I ordered.

It came in yesterday. I put 150 miles on it already, and I have never had more fun in a car all my life. My favorite part is starting it. That exhaust note doesnt get any better IMO.
Old 12/3/04, 07:22 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Ever since I saw the unveiling of the concept car at the detroit auto show I have been waiting for the new mustang to be produced. I bought a new Jeep Liberty Renegade only a year ago and ended up trading it in a few weeks ago when my new stang arrived (and yes the dealer wanted me to bend over and take it like a man). They sure do rip you off on the trade-ins these days. Nonetheless I wanted the stang so bad that I took a major hit on the resale value of my Jeep. Do I care, the perm-a-grin on my face while I am driving the stang says it all.

"I would have done anything to get this car, well, almost anything"
Old 12/3/04, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

almost perfect timing for me. my s2000 lease ended this past august, so I just had to deal with driving my old POS cavalier for 3 months. Now I'm loving my new stang!
Old 12/3/04, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wasn't really in the market for a car period. Although I have always flirted with the idea of buying a classic 64-69 stang. I have always love mustangs and when I seen the concept and the production it turned me on to it. I have a new truck now but I decided I am going to buy one anyway and make it my summer ride.

I love my mom's 66 stang but without power steering and power brakes it's a lot less fun to drive than the new mustang. If I did buy a classic stang it would have those things!

Jas
Old 12/3/04, 07:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

I wasn't in the market for a new car. I've only had my 2003 Accord coupe for a bout a year and a third. I really liked the Mustang when it was introduced and when I saw one back in Jan I fell in love with it. I didn't think I would be able to buy one because of my current insurance woes but I was able to work that out and I should be able to break close to even on what I owe on the Accord.
Old 12/3/04, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I bought the 04 in the past winter, just about a year ago now. With no plans to buy an 05 whatsoever. But at that point, until I bought my mustang, I was a GM guy (who was sick of his GMs having issues). With an impulse buy to an 04, I was set.

Then in combination with you guys, my buddy with a Cobra, and another friend with a Saleen, my mind is made up. End of next year we are hoping for a Cobra model? My tail will be in one of the first ones...watch me
Old 12/3/04, 08:02 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I wasn't really looking for a new car, but me and a couple of friends always attend the auto show every year just to check out cars and dream.

I knew absolutely nothing about the '05 Mustang. Zip. Zero. Zilch. I literally walked into the show and it was the first thing I saw. I loved it. Couldn't believe the styling on it. It was the first "new" Mustang I've liked (never a fan of the Fox).

Now that my current car is getting long in the tooth, I hope to be buying a Mustang this spring.

Quick Reply: Question to current & future '05 owners