2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Power Seat blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/05, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi all,

I went outside to install my Redlinegoods leather arm rest I received (Very impressive quality). And standing outside the car I attempted to move the seat forward. No dice! So I popped open the fuse box under the hood.

And fuse 14 (I think) for the power seat was blown. So I swapped the one from the Shaker 500 (same Amp), and the seat worked. I was able to move it UP & Forward all the way... I then moved it all the way back, and down. It blew a fuse when it reached the down position!! I looked under the seat, I don't see any wires that are cut or such. This is all with no one sitting in the seat.

Any ideas ?

I'm guessing one of the motors is shorting out.

At least it's blown in a position I can actually drive! I don't have a stereo any more, not that matters I'll just listen to the engine ... Oh the sound of music
Old 5/27/05, 08:05 PM
Banned

bump... I guess no one else has this problem.

Anyone know if they'll be able to hook up diag to the seat and test it ?
Old 5/27/05, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

You have an intermittent short somewhere. They'll probably have to replace either the seat motor, or a wiring harness. Either way, it's warratied.
Old 5/27/05, 08:16 PM
Cobra Member

Sounds like you're going to have to visit your dealer on Monday.

I'm terrible with things electric. I have a healthy respect for it, and don't really feel comfortable working with it. Wish I could help out!

Let us know what the techs discover...
Old 5/27/05, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm going to guess you have a shorted motor. They should be able to use an amp probe to find which motor is bad . . . or where the short is. 1 hour job.
Old 5/27/05, 09:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Sonic05@May 27, 2005, 11:03 PM
I'm going to guess you have a shorted motor. They should be able to use an amp probe to find which motor is bad . . . or where the short is. 1 hour job.
Sweet that makes me feel better!
Old 5/27/05, 09:20 PM

They should have used a mini breaker instead of a fuse. Alot of Ford vehicles use (used to use ?) mini 12v breakers for electric windows and power seats. The reasoning was that when either a window mechanism or seat mechanism reaches full travel the motor can't go any further and loads up (amperage increases dramatically) and would blow the fuse. With a mini breaker it just trips and resets itself automatically. Some new vehicles have a built in microswitch that cuts off the power at full travel so this doesn't happen. The high tech way is for a "brain" to detect the amperage draw and cut the power off at full cycle. I don't know how the mustang seats are set up, but a mini breaker of the same rating would definitely help in a case such as this. I would take it to the dealer first and if they can't or won't fix it I'd go the breaker route. They are usually available at a good auto parts store or electronics store. :drive:
Old 5/27/05, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mr. 'Stangster@May 27, 2005, 11:23 PM
They should have used a mini breaker instead of a fuse. Alot of Ford vehicles use (used to use ?) mini 12v breakers for electric windows and power seats. The reasoning was that when either a window mechanism or seat mechanism reaches full travel the motor can't go any further and loads up (amperage increases dramatically) and would blow the fuse. With a mini breaker it just trips and resets itself automatically. Some new vehicles have a built in microswitch that cuts off the power at full travel so this doesn't happen. The high tech way is for a "brain" to detect the amperage draw and cut the power off at full cycle. I don't know how the mustang seats are set up, but a mini breaker of the same rating would definitely help in a case such as this. I would take it to the dealer first and if they can't or won't fix it I'd go the breaker route. They are usually available at a good auto parts store or electronics store. :drive:
That sounds like a great idea, I'll have to see what the dealer says.
Old 5/29/05, 02:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Remember that scene in "Trains, Planes, and Automobiles" whereby John Candy is trying to get the seat "just right?"

Yeah. Couldn't be something like that, could it?

j/k

/no way I actually know. You're prolly under 180 Lbs, or 82 kg, right?