2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Painted Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/07, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I get this g2 kit from?

What color should I paint my calipers on my white stang? Suggestions, leaning towards black.

Emperor, I suggest painting them Blue bro, i think it would look great!
Old 7/18/07, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I did mine Black, but I have a Charcoal Metallic stripe. I think Blue would be killer, but your car would have to follow the Ford Racing theme.

I opted to "hide" the calipers with Black as to make the Bullitts "pop" and show off my rotors a bit more. I wish I had the ***** to go Blue (no pun intended).
Old 7/18/07, 09:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since my car is still at the body shop, called them and told them to paint my calipers as long as they have blue in the gun!
Old 7/18/07, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I love your car by the way Shaun!!!

I have been thinking about a secondary color and because I want Silver Razors, I was leaning towards Silver. I might also add a silver stripes later to go with the Razors, I love the silver stripes on the white baby Shelby's!

I also like red. Red calipers and trim would be good and I could paint a few trim pieces in red and get the silver razors and not the silver stripe. Maybe paint the GT emblem red and get airbrushing on the rear chrome fake GT gas cap and airbrushing on a aftermarket chrome gas cap.

What about red airbrushed flames only on the scoop also, sounds intreging and I have not seen it done?

Oh to be the world of stockness,
Old 7/18/07, 11:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Mach
Jay, where did you get the cool MUSTANG letters for the caliper?
Yep, Xenonmods on Ebay. Rich, the owner, sends you several sets for your Mustang so you have a choice of ponies or letters, or SVT or Cobra lettering. It's a neat, cheap mod - and you won't have any problems with them peeling off. Mine still look as good as they did when I put them on nearly three years ago (wow...I didn't realize I had my GT that long already!)
Old 7/18/07, 11:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oh, one thing I didn't mention that I did on my calipers - there's a nasty metal seam on the face of the caliper on my 03, and my 05 has it as well. It's right about where you would want to put the Mustang decal or pony or whatever else you migh want, so on mine I took a fine metal file and smoothed it down flat, *then* painted my calipers. The result is a nice, smooth face to put decals on or it looks great just plain as well. It only takes a minute and I highly recommend it, makes the painted calipers look tons better!
Old 7/18/07, 11:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by bored out
Where can I get this g2 kit from?
I got mine on ebay from these folks I think it was: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SALE-...spagenameZWD1V
Seemed like I paid closer to 32 plus shipping for mine, you might find it cheaper in an auto parts store or something like that, someone else may can point you to a cheaper place to purchase the kit. Just be sure to get a decent paintbrush to use, the one the kit comes with is rubbish. I used an old watercolor artist brush for mine. Also be prepared to do all the calipers in one setting, the paint has a catalyst that hardens after 6 or so hours then whatever is left in the can is history.
Old 7/21/07, 04:10 PM

UGH. So I painted my calipers red. Looked great, put the wheels back on. I could have sworn I double and triple checked the lugs. Went out for a drive and one of the wheels popped off on the highway. Luckily, I was in the right lane slowing down because the steering wheel started shaking like crazy. But now, I'm out a rim, my rotors fragged, there's some body damage and I will be without the car for a week. The wheel rolled left and jumped the divider and hit a girl's car traveling the other way. Thank God it only hit her fender. All this for painting my calipers. I guess I will have to quadruple check the lugs now.
You can get the G2 kit on ebay and I highly recommend it. It is really easy to use.
Old 7/21/07, 05:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
WOW! Good grief atleast everyone is OK. Good luck with the repair.
Old 7/21/07, 06:33 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Emperor008
UGH. So I painted my calipers red. Looked great, put the wheels back on. I could have sworn I double and triple checked the lugs. Went out for a drive and one of the wheels popped off on the highway. Luckily, I was in the right lane slowing down because the steering wheel started shaking like crazy. But now, I'm out a rim, my rotors fragged, there's some body damage and I will be without the car for a week. The wheel rolled left and jumped the divider and hit a girl's car traveling the other way. Thank God it only hit her fender. All this for painting my calipers. I guess I will have to quadruple check the lugs now.
You can get the G2 kit on ebay and I highly recommend it. It is really easy to use.
I always taught my wife's boys to tighten all lugs by hand,then tighten with the wheel in the air,then torque with the wheel on the ground.
Old 7/22/07, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's an alternative to painted or powdered calipers:

http://www.lagunaspeed.com/display_part.php?prt=794

They're a little pricey, but they work very well, there's no issues with fading or chipping, and they're very easy to clean. I have them on my Dodge Daytona and they work great. They even survived the road course last spring.
Old 7/22/07, 07:34 AM

Colored Calipers

Here is another option. XRC is a company that rebuilds calipers for the aftermarket. They found a color coating process that offers far more color options than powder coating and offers better durability.

They don't seem to offer a caliper for the 05+ Mustang, but since they are a rebuilder I'll bet that they could assemble a set if they were called.

The link is to the colors available for the 2004 Mustang.

http://www.xrcbrakes.com/order5.cfm