2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Overspray on paint. anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12/6/04, 11:20 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 169stang@December 6, 2004, 9:02 PM
I find it hard to believe that a dealer can refuse any warranty work. I don't think it matters where it is bought, does it?
Dealers have a right to refuse warranty work if you did not buy the car there and if they are backlogged with other work. I'm sure dealers make a lot less money on warranty repairs.
Old 12/7/04, 12:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dustindu4+December 7, 2004, 12:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dustindu4 @ December 7, 2004, 12:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-169stang@December 6, 2004, 9:02 PM
I find it hard to believe that a dealer can refuse any warranty work. I don't think it matters where it is bought, does it?
Dealers have a right to refuse warranty work if you did not buy the car there and if they are backlogged with other work. I'm sure dealers make a lot less money on warranty repairs. [/b][/quote]
All I have to say about that is if my stang needs warranty work for something major & another dealership refuses to work on it. And then something happens to the car before I can get it to the dealership I purchased it from (a 2 1/2 hour trip each way). Then the dealership that refused to work on the car can then in turn explain to Ford why the refused & why Ford will then have to pay more than orginialy to fix it & keep me happy.

And by something major I am talking about I have had 2 thermastats & 6 rear main seals replaced on my car. Only 3 of the rear main seals were replaced by the dealer I purchased the car from & 2 were replaced in the same trip & then the crankshaft & crankshaft bearings were then replaced at the same time. ALL of my other warranty work has been done by 3 seperate dealerships close ( w/in 30 minutes) to where I live.

So I am with 169stang, I don't see how they can refuse to work on the car. It's a Ford car under a Ford warranty & they are a Ford dealer. I would think they get the same no matter what. Besides it's all in how the dealership treats you on weither or not you purchase from them in the future. So I would think they would have no problem taking care of you if you own a Ford made product.
Old 12/7/04, 01:36 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didn't say it made sense, just that's how it works
Old 12/7/04, 06:33 AM

I purchased my vehicle from a dealer 2 1/2 hrs away because they were the only one to call me when they had the order form available. The 3 local dealerships called me when they actually had the car on the lots-too late-I already had mine. If I have awarranty repair, and get refused by a local dealer, I surely will be reeking havoc. I used to work for a distributor yrs ago and we had to warranty a manuf. product no matter where it was purchased. Simply because we were a distributor for that manuf. I see what your saying dustindu4, but I would tend to attempt to change this, for my situation, if there every is one.
Old 12/7/04, 06:53 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would rather take care of it myself than have a guy in their detail shop attack it with a buffer. You will take a lot better care of the paint than a guy who doesn't own it. I hate to say this but when I was in auto detailing if it took me 2 hours to detail someone's black car, it would take me about 16 hours to do my own black car. You just take more time to make sure everything is perfect. The dealer will not do that.
Old 12/7/04, 10:00 AM
V6 Member

O.K. You guys talked me into it. I ordered the clay bars from zaino's and the Z7 show car wash to use as a lubricant for the clay bar. I am going to take a vacation day on Friday and start on it in the morning myself. I am going to use the clay bar first. I have the directions from the website. It does not sound like it is very hard to do just time consuming. I am then going to use Z2 car wax for clearcoat cars on it after I clay bar it and wash it. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks to everyone for all of there information. I did not even know what a clay bar was until I started this thread just heard it mentioned a couple of times
Old 12/7/04, 02:50 PM

It sounds real time consuming (claybar), but goes by pretty quick when you get a routine going.
Old 12/7/04, 03:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by dustindu4+December 7, 2004, 12:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dustindu4 @ December 7, 2004, 12:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-169stang@December 6, 2004, 9:02 PM
Dealers have a right to refuse warranty work if you did not buy the car there and if they are backlogged with other work. I'm sure dealers make a lot less money on warranty repairs.[/b][/quote]
I hate to keep sounding like a know it all.... But...

A dealer can NOT refuse to do any work that would be covered under manufacturers warranty, no matter what. It doesn't matter how much work they currently have, your car is as important as any others, regardless of where you purchased your car from.

And don't be to quick to think that warranty doesn't pay as good as customer pay. The warranty times for any type of paint work is actually very liberal. Also, when the manufacturer pays the claim to the dealer, they pay it at an established service labor rate. Most body shop rates are much lower than these.

We actually market to competitors customers. In the store I'm working with now, (Cadillac... ) we advertise for all GM cars. Cadillac, Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, GMC, Hummer , you get the idea.

As much as new car dealerships are hurting for service business these days, I find it hard to believe that any store would turn away work. I think Ford would be interested to know about any store refusing to honor a warranty.

Again... just my $.02 worth... and still not worth even that.
Old 12/8/04, 07:06 AM
Cobra Member

It shouldn't take long to use the clay bar on your car. It takes overspray and rail dust off easliy, and doesn't require any effort. You will be suprised and how quick it goes. I think it is probably the best detailing invention.
Old 12/8/04, 08:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

There is actually a TSB (might be for all Ford cars?) that mentions removal of iron particles and the affects of acid raid. I don't have access to the details of the TSB, only the pubilshed summary.
Old 12/8/04, 12:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had overspray on my rims of all things! Do you think they paint these things with the rims on them? Didn't make sense to me....Used some thinner and it cam right off, but was all over the outer rim of my front right wheel.....made me wonder if it'd been touched up at the lot form a fender bender, but i was told it went straight from the truck to the showroom floor and wasn't even moved prior to me buying it....