2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Oh my god1!

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/05, 06:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure how much that mirror will cost to replace. I remember when someone coming the otehr way was really into my lane and ran me off the road in my 2002 mustang and I hit a mailbox with my passenger side rearview mirror. Didn't damage the mirror housing like you did, but the mirror came out and shattered all over the ground and messed up the motor. A new one cost me like $70 off of the internet (wasn't from ford, but it fit and looked factory so whatever). The mirror for this car might cost more since it is newer and I doubt there is any alternative to getting the part from Ford. I feel for you though. We all do stupid things, you just have to learn from them. Hopefully you can get it fixed without it setting you back too much. Even iff you have to drive around with it like that for a while, I'd still rather be driving around a beat up mustang than a brand new piece of rice.
Old 4/5/05, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DJ07@April 5, 2005, 5:52 PM
I wonder if Marshall Ford will believe me if I took it in right now and told them they gave it to me like this ...
Old 4/5/05, 06:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

pay out of pocket, save you on insurace
Old 4/5/05, 06:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I think it's great you worked hard and saved enough to get yourself a GT. Too bad about the damage, but I'm sure you've learned from this. OK, time for me to do my Dad thing......be careful!!
Old 4/5/05, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by azlitigator@April 5, 2005, 3:43 PM
This reminds me of that scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles where John Candy says "that'll buff right out".
Yeah, that was right before it caught on fire.
Old 4/5/05, 06:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Adrenal+April 5, 2005, 6:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Adrenal @ April 5, 2005, 6:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-azlitigator@April 5, 2005, 3:43 PM
This reminds me of that scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles where John Candy says "that'll buff right out".
[/b][/quote]

That was the funniest movie of all time!! "Those aren't pillows!!"
Old 4/5/05, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by DJ07@April 5, 2005, 2:53 PM
God why? I just cleaned my car and i went to pull it in my darn garage and I cut it too close and scraped the wheel well a little bit and knocked the side mirror off the right side.

OH MY GOD

Question: Is this type of thing warranted under the dealer or is it comin off my insurance?
Dan,

So sorry to hear about your car. Trying to fit two cars in the garage is nerve wracking I know. This will be something that will make a better, safer driver out of you. Just a hard thing to go through. Hang tough..
Old 4/5/05, 06:41 PM
Cobra Member

Dude, sorry about the damage to your ride. Hope you get it fixed soon, and that the cost doesn't kill you.

How fast were you driving when you had your accident? Your photos suggest you were backing the car in. Didn't you hear the quarter panel smack the garage frame before the mirror got whacked? Just curious.
Old 4/5/05, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom+April 5, 2005, 5:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(outdoorstom @ April 5, 2005, 5:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Adrenal@April 5, 2005, 6:38 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-azlitigator
@April 5, 2005, 3:43 PM

That was the funniest movie of all time!! "Those aren't pillows!!"
[/b][/quote]

Whenever I need a "lift" that's the flick I reach for. Also, remember his tirade at the ticket counter in St. Louis after he found out his rental car was missing!!
Old 4/5/05, 06:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the way houses and driveways are in the area he lives in, theres a lot of times you have to turn the car to pull in... so theres a good chance he pulled in and only noticed the mirror get whacked, then probably didn't want to risk even more damage by trying to re-position the car by turning it the wrong way.
Old 4/5/05, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok well I was turning in like was assumed, but I have my own side of the garage and the only thing at fault is me really.

I had washed my car and was putting it back. It was just at an odd angle because of where I washed it and I'm not used to pulling it in from that postion. (I usually come in and turn left, not right like today). So I looked to my left instinctivley like I always do when I pull in, not realizing how close my right side was.

I was actually more than halfway in the garage, then I heard the back scrape ... the wheel well. I stopped, I panicked, and I tried to right my wrong and stop any further damage by backing out at an odd angle.

In my haste, off came the mirror.

Nice, huh?

Funny thing is my mom did the same thing, from the same spot in the driveway, into the same part of the garage, about a year ago.

Anyway, I took some nice pics of my car before it all happened. They are all here:

http://digitalgallery.homeip.net:8080/Pics...mustang4505.htm

You can see my house and garage in the background.

The calm before the storm I guess ...
Old 4/5/05, 07:05 PM
GT Member

Hang in there DJ. You sound like the kind of person that will get it sorted out, learn a lesson, and move on.

About a year ago I let my 17 year old son take the brand new SUV out, and he backed it into a parking lot sign. What can you do? Deal with it and move on.
Old 4/5/05, 07:05 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dan, I just checked for you. The mirror is $206.17 and .3 (tenths) of an hour to install. Looks like about 3 hours repair on your quarter. If they take the additional time to also remove your taillamp and rear bumper cover (for paint), your total bill is about $647. It'll depend on labor and tax in your area too, I'm guessing $40 and 7% for NE OH. You could just pay the $250 for your mirror and save the rest for later. Hope that helps, sleep well, everything will be fine.
Old 4/5/05, 07:06 PM
Cobra Member

man I wish someone told me seven years ago that if I saved my money I could be driving that.

sorry about your accident but cheer up you've got an 05 mustang
Old 4/5/05, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

05GT ... thanks for the info.

I'll use that as a baseline tomorrow when we go in.
Old 4/5/05, 07:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@April 5, 2005, 4:11 PM
Uhm....warranty is not an option.

You can:

A - Submit it to your insurance company, pay your $500 deductible, and watch your rates skyrocket;

B - Pay the entire amount yourself; or

C - Just not get it fixed.

From where I stand, those look about like the only options.

How about parking it in the heart of Detroit for the night.
Old 4/5/05, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the blow-by-blow, Dan. Sad to hear how it happened. I can see what you're saying. We have all done things like that at one point or another. Not to worry. A month or so from now, this will all seem like a bad dream. Just take a deep breath, collect your thoughts, consider your options and do what you have to do to undo the damage.

I've read a lot of your posts, and I know how much you love this car. I can imagine how you feel right now, but don't let it drive you crazy. This is just a bump in the road. You'll be good as new in no time!
Old 4/5/05, 07:23 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No problem. I still remeber your 'Gone Insane' thread a few months back. That was one of the best reads that's been on here in a while. Glad you're enjoying your car, I've had mine for 2 weeks now. God I love it. I picked it up outside of Tampa FL, and drove it up your way to Canton, OH the next day. GT's are scarce up there. I went to one of the bigger dealerships (Mullinax) around there and when I pulled in all the salesmen came to the window with 'that look' on their face. You know, that "Is that one of those new Mustangs Ford's coming out with?" looks. They had 1 v6 on their lot, another dealership (Progressive) had none. Good luck at the bodyshop.
Old 4/5/05, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah up here in Ohio these cars are rare ... and even rarer are the GTs.

I still cant fill it up or park it withotu someone either gawking or comming up and complimening
Old 4/5/05, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

It'll all work out Dan...hang in there kid.

Good for you working and saving for the car you wanted.....even though 7 years ago none of us knew this beauty was coming. I too saved for my first car, and in 1965 I was 17 and I paid cash for a brand new Mustang off the showroom floor. $2558.00 (funny thing is, it weighed 2558 pounds). Sounds cheap now but back then I was making $1.10 an hour + tips washing dishes and bussing tables and feeling lucky to get it. Gas was 35 cents a gallon. The most expensive item on the menu at the restaurant where I was working was Steak and Lobster.....$4.25.

I must say, however, a 300HP GT is a lot of car for a 17 yr old......... but then again...so was a 289.