2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

No Start condition and i think its PATS to blame

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/21, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start condition and i think its PATS to blame

06 mustang 4.0L automatic trans, car will not start or crank, i have checked all starting system relays and fuses which are all working fine, battery voltage is normal, and im getting 12+V at the starter, the trigger wire however is not getting any volts when the key is turned to start, ive ran a jumper wire from battery pos terminal to the starter trigger wire at the starter and the engine will crank, im thinking it might be locked out from pats because when the key is put in the on position the red car lock symbol is flashing rapidly and not stopping
Old 7/9/21, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Tried your other key?
Old 7/10/21, 12:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
That's exactly it. PATS is mad. However, it MAY (not a slam dunk here) be the transceiver ring on the ignition switch is bad. It's been known to happen. No guarantees this is it, and it really would require a scan tool to properly diagnose it. Still, many have had this problem and fixed it with a new ring.

Hope that helps, good luck, and welcome to the forums!

Old 7/10/21, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we purchased the vehicle used and it came with only 1 key, the key is not equipped with the securilock chip and was somewhat broken, not sure exactly what tripped the system but it looks like my only option will be dealership support thanks again for the tips and glad to be a part of this forum will let u guys know if the key ring is also an issue
Old 7/10/21, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cyricus
we purchased the vehicle used and it came with only 1 key, the key is not equipped with the securilock chip and was somewhat broken, ... etc
Never buy or own a vehicle with just one key.

You say the one key you have is NOT chipped?
You say it is "somewhat broken"?
Can you describe "somewhat broken"?

I really do wonder how it ever started unless someone tied or glued just a chip near the receiver ring of the switch. Look in the floor for a loose chip.

Last edited by tbear853; 7/10/21 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Buckshot Barry (7/15/21)
Old 7/10/21, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
if it is a s197 its definitely should have a chip in the key and if not that's the problem. I never had this happen to me but heard it's a nightmare to correct.
Old 7/11/21, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tbear853
Never buy or own a vehicle with just one key.
*stares at his one key and fob for Awesome...*
tbear853 (7/12/21)
Old 7/14/21, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
*stares at his one key and fob for Awesome...*
Surely not!

I adopted the practice when a buddy I was with locked his one and only key in his running with AC on '68 Shelby GT-500KR on the side of Interstate 81 with no cell phones, etc in the '70s. He even had another key ... at home. We were 100+ miles from our home town headed to a weekend meet up with the Shelby owners club he was a member of at Gettysburg, Pa. in the warm summer. No keyless entry buttons on that car. Real lucky a tow truck driver stopped, had a Slim Jim, only cost like $25 then, but it was the '70s and that eat into our meal money, but we had been standing there for over an hour by then, in the sun, while his 428 just idled with the AC on.

Since that day, I always have a second key or set in my left pocket, always. To this day, every vehicle key ring I have has two ends with a quick coupler that looks like a miniature air hose coupling, one side is carrying the FOB and is for use then, the other side gets clipped on my house key ring and is in my left pocket. Right through my 31 year career as a Trooper, I've seen a lot of it happen to other people, even some troopers. Funny seeing a Trooper stand beside his locked up as you drive up carrying his only extra key from the office, running police car on the side of a highway, scratching his head. One of my shift partners never left a key at the office ... until he had to write a letter explaining how his glass got broken, he did from then on though. Many cars are built with inside the door-partitions that block the use of a Slim Jim.

My buddy was killed by a drunk in January 1979.

Last edited by tbear853; 7/14/21 at 11:14 PM.
Jaryd21 (7/14/21)
Old 7/15/21, 09:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Surely not!
I know I know... I need to get a new pair, as the one I have doesn't have the keyring bit anymore, and the tiny hole we drilled in it to make the keyring (and separate fob for locks) also let go. Runnin' out of real estate on that key...

She only came with the one when I bought her, and I always meant to get another... Soon(tm)? I also want the integrated fob one, not this separate stuff, so there's that. I gotta re-find the correct keys and get two made, and have it programmed, which maybe I can now do since I got the 'matched set' of Forscan and the OBDII thingy they like... Or just take it somewhere... IDK. I'll figure it out, for sure, just... not right now.
tbear853 (7/15/21)