Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

car wont start need help

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/05, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok guys i need some opinions. my parents were takin my car to get gas yesterday and the car wouldnt start after they got gas. they attemtped to charge it but it wouldnt hold a charge after u turned the key. also they tried to push start and it would never work. i have had no problems with it starting or holding a charge since i have had it. my question is could my alternator and starter both have just went out like that with no warning at the same time. if not or u have any other ideas of what it could be please let me know. thanks for ur opinions.
Old 9/1/05, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

if you completely and fully charaged your battery, the car should still run for a little bit even if the alternator isn't working. You say it wouldn't hold a charge after you turned the key though...did you try leaving the charger connected while you attemped to start it and if so was it on the "START/CHARGE" position? If you were using one of those portable jumper packs they have enough juice to keep it going for a while too (if they're fully charged).

Its kinda hard to diagnose these things over the internet, but it sounds simply like a bad battery if it won't hold a charge with the key just in the "on" position. So you might want to try a new battery or leave a trickle charger on it over night.
Old 9/1/05, 09:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Take your battery out and take it to your local autoparts store, they should be able to test it for you.
Old 9/1/05, 09:46 PM

its not the battery. we have used two different batteries and both are like new. i think there is a short in the starter and it is draining the juice when u turn the key. gonna take out the starter and check it and see if it is ba or not. hopefully its just the starter.
Old 9/1/05, 10:16 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by mdbp8@September 1, 2005, 9:49 PM
its not the battery. we have used two different batteries and both are like new. i think there is a short in the starter and it is draining the juice when u turn the key. gonna take out the starter and check it and see if it is ba or not. hopefully its just the starter.

If you remove the starter they can test it at Autozone.
If you have jumper cables you can also test it yourself.

Lay starter on the ground
then hook up the postive or red to the big post.
Than slap the side with the black or negative cable.

Hold the starter tightly
It should not only spin but also pop outward as well.
If it works you'll know what I mean.

Alternater testing?
I do this all the time over years on many different cars.
However, I have had many people advise against it..

Once I have the car started I remove the negative battery cable.
If the engine dies?
The alternater is bad.
However, If it stays running?
The alternater is good.

Hope this helps

Keep us posted
Old 9/2/05, 01:34 PM

well guys think we found the problem. the starter was loose which was causing the drain cause the ground was loose. at least i think that would do that. it also shorted out the starter so we are gettin a new one and seein if that works. thanks for the help.
Old 9/2/05, 04:34 PM
GT Member

From an old book I read years ago.
Car starting was broken down to an easy 1,2,3, proposition.

Yes just three things are needed

1 Air
2 Fuel
3 Electricty

Yes these three things in the proper place at ther proper time and a car will start every time.

testing for air means look dirty airfilter or broken vaccum lines.

Testing for fuel once meant looking down inside a carburator and while hitting the throttle look for the squirt gun effect of gas. However, with fuel injection? Look on the fuel rail to the fuel injectors for a tire like valve stem. Remove the the cap and press down on the center of the valve. Look for gas spirting out
If not? after using a simple valve core remover you can than prime it with gas. If stays running great. If not? You may have a clogged gas filter or a bad fuel pump.

Electricity Understand there are two seperate functions here.
One cranks the starter
the other allows the motor to recieve the electricity
(Well until the key is turned off)
The starter/battery are some what easy if it cranks and sounds normal. If it does crank normal but still does NOT start.
Than remove one plug wire and put either an extra plug (or screw driver) in the end of plug wire. Lay it on the metal valve cover and crank engine and look for spark.
If you have spark but it still will not start? and is accompanied with back firing than its a timing issue. You''ll need the book to check timing marks.

If there is no spark than check coil for current on the battery side of the engine coil. Auto Zone has a little screw driver type test light that is excellent for this.

Understanding coil basics.

Distributer type
An engine coil has 3 wires
One big and two little.
The big one goes to the middle of the distributer.
That leaves two little ones left.
One of the two little ones goes to the base of the distributer.
The other goes to 12 volts. (Usually by way of the key)
or to the postive battery post. This was once known as hot wiring. Than its just a matter of a screw driver shorting the cylinoid for cranking the starter.

Any way I've already said to much.

A distributer less system can also be hot wired also but its more difficult to describe in this forum.
A wiring diagram will help immensely from the shop manuel.
Old 9/3/05, 12:52 AM

well was just the starter. and a loose ground wire from the battery was causing all the problems. the starter had come loose and had shorted itself out cause it wasnt grounded. thanks for all the info though. i appreciate it every time.
Old 9/3/05, 01:59 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by mdbp8@September 3, 2005, 12:55 AM
well it was just the starter. and a loose ground wire from the battery that was causing all the problems. the starter had come loose and had shorted itself out cause it wasnt grounded. thanks for all the info though. i appreciate it every time.

No problem
It helps me too, To maintain the things I have learned over the years from having cars as a hobby. Not just Mustangs but anything with a piston engine.

Most people my age gave up the car hobby years a go. I guess mostly they are into hobbies where they beat their ***** with a metal stick. I believed its called golf. Mostly they criticize me for not buying and driving a newer car. Yes its true, I do have a good job where I could do that. But, I figure I have the FREEDOM to NOT do so. Besides what could I ever learn from a car where nothing ever goes wrong.
I guess they HATE MY FREEDOM.
Thus I figure they HATE America.

Cheers.