2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

News on SE Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/04, 11:19 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by crazyhorse+July 4, 2004, 5:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crazyhorse @ July 4, 2004, 5:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by order#1@July 4, 2004, 1:14 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-creedog
@July 4, 2004, 1:04 PM
Please let us NOT have another Chicago incident come early Nov. Cool heads everyone. I believe the gt version will be a very nice car for most.

What was the Chicago incident?
We got rumor of a "variant" being revealed at Chicago auto show last year. We all watched endlessly. No variant was revealed. [/b][/quote]
Oh Yeah! I remember that. I was so exicted to go to the auto show to see the 05 gt and hopefully a cool se. We had no idea of what a se would be, and I was hoping they were gonna show it there. But if they would have showed it there, they probably wouldve just showed the GT-R concept like at new york.
Old 7/5/04, 09:27 AM
GT Member

Perhaps its just wishfull thinking, but I have to believe that a 400 HP GTO Judge has to be matched. The GT will take the base GTO I believe, cause a 03/04 Mach1 handles it now. The 500 HP SVT needs to take on the C6. So that leaves a gap for a Cobra Jet to match the Judge. If they don't do this, they will dissapoint a lot of fans, and loose GM converts.

A Boss was what the R models are/were. I think the Boss name has to be reserved for a no holds bar R type.
Old 7/5/04, 11:25 PM
GT Member

There is only one constant in the Mustang World. None of the cars hold their value worth a stink.

A current cobra owner won't rush out to purchase a Mustang GT, but some my opt to purchase an SE if the SE is exciting, but most will wait until the next generation cobra comes out to purchase.

As a current cobra owner, I need something more unique, more interesting then Ford's current offerings. I'll forgo the next gen. cobra if there is an inkling that a Cobra R or Mustang GTR will be produced in very limited quantities, or will painfully wait for the Shelby Roadster if it can be had under $90K.

While all the hype around the current Mustang GT is interesting, the waiting for the next blue oval super-performer is much more exciting.

Bottom line is this. If Ford drops the ball on the next Cobra/Cobra R, Shelby Roadster, I may end up in the enemy camp driving something else.

Get the darn cars on the market and make some sales!
Old 7/6/04, 05:35 AM
Cobra Member

I would be surprised if the Mach 1 or an SE comes out before September 2005.
I am guessing September 2005 would be the earliest, and it will be a 2006 model.
We might even see it at the next Detroit Auto show??

As far as the Horse Power issue, we are lucky to have a 300hp Stang GT!! Its going to be a great car! But, I agree with some of you, that Ford should of made this car 340 - 350hp.

It does bother me, that GM and Dodge are dropping 340 plus HP in several models and we have to wait for a Mach 1 or Cobra.
The 5.4 should be an option!!
Old 7/6/04, 07:13 AM
GT Member

I hope i don't sound like a jerk for saying this, but i don't feel "lucky" the '05 GT has 300hp. In fact, that is the least amount a GT should have at this point. In fact it is the least amount a GT should have had over 4 years ago. I'm glad Ford seems to be finally stepping up the hp for the GT, but it is loooong overdue.

My '97 Cobra has 305hp, and it has taken Ford 8 years and a whole new car to bring the GT up to that level? Not to mention all the F-bodies with more than 300hp over the years. I know Ford has been able to sell the Mustang GT's with less hp than the competition for awhile. But, it is still rediculous that they ignored alot of potential buyers by not offering a more powerful GT before now.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but i was just tired of the "thank you Ford for finally putting a decent engine in the GT" posts. It is about darn time they gave the GT a solid engine. As far as the SE rumors go, i hope they do make an SE sooner rather than later. That is the only way i will trade in and get a new car. So, that is at least one sale they will be missing out on by waiting a long time to release a SE model.
Old 7/6/04, 07:57 AM
V6 Member

i a die hard mustang fan a gree with red snake 300 hp aint shizz
i got to drive the enemy in a 98 z28 and darn that thing is sick
we used to cruise in it a lot it was kinda un comfotable for all the
wussy winers and it aint no grocery getter but the thing flew past almost every mustang we came across and it only had an aftercat and a drop in k+n FORD WTF I want 350hp 350 tq+
i guess they just dont how to make HP they forgot how come on why are we praising the 03 cobra they took a wounded duck and put it on crack any thing less than 302ci is tiny heck a 5.0 is a small motor give us what we deserve CUBIC INCHES QUIT WUSSING OUT FOR GET BLOWERS ADD CUBES ford does have a 331ci duel overhead cam motor with killer potential but i would trade a blown281 for a N/A 346
Old 7/6/04, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

:scratch:

I THINK I understood you Honda Hater... and I agree with what I think you said. I would rather see more cubes too - give me the 5.4 NA over a smaller blown motor.
But man, you gotta fix your keyboard... I know you're typing normal words and sentences, but somethin's broke!
Old 7/6/04, 08:32 AM
Cobra R Member

:yes:
Old 7/6/04, 08:36 AM
V6 Member

The thing that's so frustrating about all these rumors is that it puts the timing of my 05' purchase up in the air. I'm going to be getting something for delivery in July-August 05' since I have a lease coming up. Even though I like the coupe better than the vert I planned on getting a GT-vert because my wife would like it. So, ok I won't have a problem taking a GT-Vert delivery in August. However, if there's going to be a SE, wether it be a vert or not, I'd be all over it, but will it be able to get to the dealer by August 05'?

I'm suprised that Ford isn't more public with their plans because I would assume they make higher margins on a SE and would rather have a GT buyer pick up a SE rather than a GT. Also with an SE they're going after non-ford buyers. Isn't it better to get the word out early to stop those potential converts from going out and buying something else?
Old 7/6/04, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Like some of the other posters in this thread, I think that 300 HP is adeqate. The reason I am so interested in the Mustang is the potential of the car. Without alot of additional money it should be easy to get the car up to 400HP which blows most other cars off the road.

My only concern is that the car handles well. My main concern is the lack of IRS.
Old 7/6/04, 09:05 AM
GT Member

Honda Hater, no offense, but i am not sure i want you on my side.

I have no problem with a supercharged 4.6. The current Cobra's engine makes awesome power and is very easy to modify for much larger gains.

ecgirard2, i am not so sure that 400hp will be easy to get for not alot of additional money. Does anyone know what sort of internals the '05 GT's engine will have? Or what the compression ratio will be? These will determine how easy it is to get to 400 hp. And, even if it has good internals, it will take either forced induction, or a hit of nitrous to reach 400hp. Another reason why i wish for a SE at some point, with the the current Cobra's engine. Those start at 400hp, and hitting over 500hp (to the rear wheels) is only a pulley and chip swap away.

We will see how things go.
Old 7/6/04, 09:20 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the F-bodies were making 300+hp 5 years go
Yes, the Mustang has been underpowered for too long
but..
They don't make Camaro's and TransAm's anymore.

As much as I love power, I love some civility, doors that don't rattle when new, no briefcase-sized lump in the floor for a catalytic converter, etc. etc.

300Hp in a daily driver is more than plenty, this car is lighter than the 340hp hemi LX models that chrysler is pushing. Rumour has it that the '05 will be nicely underrated as well. I personally would love to see some more cubic inches in the s/e.

Here is another theory of mine, they are delaying the cobra so long because they want to put the 6.1L engine in it. That way they can put the n/a 5.4 in the S/E
Old 7/6/04, 09:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Either that or they ar waiting to see what GM & DC response will be after the GTs are running free -unchallenged...
Old 7/6/04, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

97Redsnake, this is the specs listed in the order guide.

Compression ratio is 9.8:1
Horsepower is 300@5750
Torque is 320@4500
:usa:
Old 7/6/04, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

97REDSNAKE, I agree with what you are saying about the Horse Power.
But, since GM no longer makes a Camero or a Firebird, Ford wasn't pressured into making the Mustang faster. But they did! So, in that aspect we are lucky!

I can tell you, I wish my 87 & 2001 had 300hp out of the showroom!
I just got rid of my 2001 to save for the new model. I can live with 300hp! But, if I have the extra cash, I am going Mach 1. The Cobra is a dream at this point at nearly 40k or more.
If I want a 450-500hp car, I will build up my 1987 GT.

Don't get me wrong, HP is great! But, the Mustang is more then just HP, its also about style. That is one reason why it out lived the Camero & Firebird.
Old 7/6/04, 12:42 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree that 300hp in the GT will be nice. I am just saying that Ford is missing some of their target audience if they won't be offering something between the GT and Cobra.

Take me, for example. I have done a few things to my '97 Cobra, but it still has close to the stock power. I love the look and engineering of the '05 GT's, but i am not about to trade in my paid-off Cobra for a car with basically equal performance and a new car note.

To get me to think about trading in (as well as lots of f-body owners and other Cobra owners), you will need more than 300hp. I want at least 350hp, before i am even starting to get tempted back into a showroom. The new Cobra will be awesome, i am sure, when it comes out. But, it will most likely be very expensive. This will also be a hard pill to swallow for alot of us. I wouldn't mind spending $30,000-$32,000 for a SE model with more than 350hp. But, i am not about to spend $40,000+ for even a Mustang with 450+ hp. That is too big a leap in price.

So, i think a SE is needed sooner rather than later. There are alot of us out here who want a new Stang, but we aren't going to buy the GT and we probably won't be able to afford the Cobra. So, we are stuck waiting and hoping.
Old 7/6/04, 12:55 PM
Cobra Member

97RedSnake - Yep, I am going to try and hold out for a SE or Mach 1.
Hope I do not have to wait too long! But, I do not expect it any earlier then September 2005. Which is fine by me, for a 350hp car (so I hope ).
Its going to be tough for me to wait, I just rid of my 2001 GT, and its killing me - lol
Now I am farting around with my 87 GT - Yippie!

If I end up with another GT, I at least want the 18 inch wheels, so I am going to wait till next summer anyway.

But, a Mach 1 with 350hp would be a nice collectors car, and I want something special, something to keep for a very long time.
Old 7/6/04, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Honda Hater@July 6, 2004, 4:00 PM
wussy winers and it aint no grocery getter but the thing flew past almost every mustang we came across and it only had an aftercat and a drop in k+n FORD WTF I want 350hp 350 tq+
i guess they just dont how to make HP they forgot how come on why are we praising the 03 cobra they took a wounded duck and put it on crack any thing less than 302ci is tiny heck a 5.0 is a small motor give us what we deserve CUBIC INCHES QUIT WUSSING OUT FOR GET BLOWERS ADD CUBES ford does have a 331ci duel overhead cam motor with killer potential but i would trade a blown281 for a N/A 346
someone buy that guy a keyboard with "," and "." keys...
Old 7/6/04, 06:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Wombert+July 6, 2004, 2:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wombert @ July 6, 2004, 2:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Honda Hater@July 6, 2004, 4:00 PM
someone buy that guy a keyboard with "," and "." keys... [/b][/quote]
And a paragraph maker.
Old 7/6/04, 06:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

I disagree that the GT needs more. They may be losing out on potential buyers that want more, but, they would alienate people who think more than 300 is too much. I bet a lot of parents will balk at 300, let alone 350 or more. The market for 350 will be handled by SEs, not GTs. The GT is an entry level muscle car. SE and Cobras are for the power hungry.

Quick Reply: News on SE Mustangs