2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

New problem for the 05 ?

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/05, 09:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This just happened to me yesterday. I don't have the message center but I had filled my tank up on Thursday and was driving last night and all of a sudden my fuel light comes on and my tank reads empty.

I pull into a gas station and check for worst case scenario: gas leak (had this happen in my last car) but there is none. Swipe my card and try to fill her up and she's full (yes, it was full; I've had the problem with it cutting off before, but this time I filled it up until it almost spilled over).

Started the car back up and the tank read almost full, but it is usually past the "F" when its completely full like it was. Guess I'm going to have to take it in, but for reference does anyone know yet what the exact cause is or what part is faulty? Or is it a guess and check for each car?
Old 9/25/05, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The float is probably messed up.
Old 9/27/05, 11:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Now my check engine light is on also- taking her in tmrw morning to get it checked out
Old 9/29/05, 10:34 AM
GT Member

I had this problem once with my GT. I have approximately 16,000 miles on it now. The problem occured roughly 5,000 miles ago, and hasn't happened again since.

I filled up with gas, drove off, and the fuel-low warning came on, and my guage ready empty. I knew I had filled up, but I turned around and went back to the gas station, turned off the car, turned it back on, and the guage read full.

Not sure what could have caused it, but it only happened this once.
Old 10/3/05, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by cop on my back@April 23, 2005, 5:06 PM
I went to fill the car up yesterday, full service. I go inside to pay and they guy pumped $51 in it (remember, I am in Canada). So I pay, get in and drive off. A little way down the road, I reset my trip odometer, fuel milage, etc. I then notice the fuel gauge is half full and the message center says 150kms til empty. So, I figured I payed for the wrong pump. I went back and talked to the guy and he said he made sure it was full, so I go back and start the car and double check, now it reads full.

Seems like the fuel level sending unit might have been stuck or something. I have not read anyone else having this problem, am I the first?

Everything has worked fine since, hopefully it won't come back.
This happened to me yesterday. I just finished putting in 65 bucks (hey hoser) and the gauge did not move. It still said 26km to empty. Hmmm. I then watched as it moved, ever...so....slowly to quarter tank. I knew it wasn't a gas station issue. I stopped at a light, shut it off. Turned it on and it went to the F.

:scratch:
Old 10/3/05, 01:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Took it into the dealer and pretty much all they did was put techron in the tank. The gas gauge is working since, but the check engine light is still on. They said to go through two tanks and see fi it still acts up
Old 10/3/05, 02:22 PM
GT Member

Sometimes when you fill your car with gas and turn it on, if you start driving before the pointer gets to F it will stop. That might be the problem you have
Old 10/6/05, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

My empty tank light and check engine light were also on, the check engline light and tank empty light have since gone off and the gauge has been reading correctly so far.. who knows what causes it...
Old 11/3/05, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

After fueling tonight, my gauge only went up to a little less than 3/4s. During refueling, I did have the key in the on position, and was resetting my trip computer. After filling, I drove to another station and added 0.3 gallons, so it really was brimming full. After two more shut-down cycles, the best the gauge will read is a little over 3/4. My Mustang is a 2006 V6 with 2,300 miles.
Old 11/5/05, 12:36 AM
Bullitt Member

After a 15 minute drive this morning, the gauge snapped-up from 3/4 to full, where it should be reading. I guess I'll have to see if this problem becomes more steady-state before I take it into the dealership.
Has anyone else seen this behavior?
Old 11/6/05, 09:29 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by coladin@October 3, 2005, 10:16 AM
This happened to me yesterday. I just finished putting in 65 bucks (hey hoser) and the gauge did not move. It still said 26km to empty. Hmmm. I then watched as it moved, ever...so....slowly to quarter tank. I knew it wasn't a gas station issue. I stopped at a light, shut it off. Turned it on and it went to the F.
:scratch:

Hi
This has also happened once to me.
under about the same situation
Old 11/20/05, 11:50 PM
V6 Member

Thought I would add my blip here too.

So today, some friends from out of town are visiting and I'm giving them a ride in the GT... I get a little squirlly around a corner and put her through the paces. At about 80 I here the little beep... glance down at the gauges, but didn't see anything as I take her up to 110. As I'm slowing her down I see the message center "11 miles to Empty" and the gauge is at E. What!! I know I'm only like half way through the tank. I stop at a light and shut her off - fire back up, but no change. So I go to the closest gas station. sure enough only can fill up about half a tank. Restart and the gauge goes to full and the message center read 298 miles to E.

So the only thing I can think of is the G forces going around the corner or the hard accel. got the computer thinking only one side of the saddle bag tanks exisited and it was the empty one. Or some crazy thing...
Anyone else have this happen?
Old 11/27/05, 11:03 AM

Well, thought I'd ad my 2c as well. The tank was reading 1/4 full, so went to fill it up and only put in 8 gallons? The gauge now reads just below 3/4 full but no way can I put in more fuel. I tried another pump just to be sure and no way to add more fuel. Turn off, turn on, no change to the gauge so It's in to the dealer with it.
Old 11/27/05, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Since my gauge acted-up 24 days ago, I have refilled 4 times with no reoccurrence of the 3/4 versus full issue. Without a recurrence of the problem, I will continue to wait.
One additional anomaly occurred during the last fill-up which was odd, to say the least. After the fill-up and restart, I reset the various items of the trip computer and went about 7 miles. I scrolled through the trip computer, and found that the tripometer still was reading zero, however, the odometer was correctly spooling upward. After I reset the tripometer again (from zero to zero), it then started to record accumulated mileage normally. Totally bizarre.
Old 11/28/05, 09:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been writing down both the odometer and the reset trip mileage and comparing the two at each fill up (using the previous odometer reading and subtracting the new reading), to calculate my mpg.

I've found the trip mileage was off a few times in the beginning, but now its been matching the odometer for the past few months. I dunno...some kind of break in glitch on the computer?
Old 12/5/05, 12:16 PM

Well, what the heck?
The dealer says my tank and gauge are fine but the problem is the design of the fuel tank. To fill her up you gotta turn the pump 90-180 degrees and fill from that position. Dealer tech says he contacted Ford who said it is a known problem that WILL NOT be fixed. Unacceptable people. So I've told the dealer if it happens again, they can have the car back as a lemon.
Anyone else heard about this?
Old 12/5/05, 12:23 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Ewan, i'd talk to the dealer manager or go to another dealership. Its obvious you got a defective fuel tank

http://www.bradbarnett.net/mustangs/galaxi..._08fueltank.pdf
Old 12/5/05, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had similar problems myself this weekend. Erratic fuel gauge readings,message centre saying there were incorrect readings and errors, the emission light came on and remained on. Went to the dealer today and the tech pulled the fault codes and checked them with oasis. It said it was due to the amount of sulphur in the gas that was fouling up the sending units. They suggested running 2 tanks of gas through with techron fuel line cleaner,however it is not available in Canada so he ordered new sending units for each tank. I'll let you know what the final outcome is.
Old 12/27/05, 01:52 PM

Well, I contacted Ford directly and guess what? they said they are aware of a problem in the design of the fuel tank and are working on a solution but have no eta on it. If and when they have a solution it will be a recall under the warranty.
Incidentally, it only has problems filling up at Safeway with their new side handled pumps, Chevron pumps are ok.
Old 12/27/05, 02:23 PM
GT Member

I have an 06 GT, only filled my tank twice so far. No problems. I did know about some having trouble filling so I asked at the dealership to let me know if they had a problem filling the first time. I did notice on the second fillup the trip stayed at 0 when I got home, so I reset it took it out and now it works. I will be keeping an eye on it. So far this Mustang is everything I had hoped for.

Quick Reply: New problem for the 05 ?