2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Need help! Brake fluid tank ran empty.

Search this Thread

Old 11/7/08, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help! Brake fluid tank ran empty.

I recently install a stoptech brake kit bought used from a forum member. One of the bleed screw's was cross thread by the previous owner. The thread was stipped and brake fluid was leaking everywhere so I reattached the old caliper to the lines and left it hanging in the mean time to repair the stoptech caliper.

When I came home today to check the brake fluid tank and it was empty. Holy crap. Am I in a big mess?

Stoptech says in the install manual that if the brake reservoir runs empty and draws in air. That the brake system would need to be service by a certified brake techician. Is that true? or could I just put in more brake fluid and rebleed the whole kit again until all the air is out?

Any help is appreciated as I am panicing right now. Thanks.
Old 11/7/08, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
naww. Ya just gotta rebleed the whole system
Old 11/7/08, 12:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
The Stoptech disclaimer is just a bunch of C.Y.A. (cover your ***). What the certified brake technician would do is just refill and bleed the brake system.
Old 11/7/08, 12:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
The Stoptech disclaimer is just a bunch of C.Y.A. (cover your ***). What the certified brake technician would do is just refill and bleed the brake system.
oh cool, thanks for the info. I thought it was something more technical that happen if the reservoir runs dry. Guess not. I was getting worried there for a second. I can bleed the system myself. Thanks again.
Old 11/7/08, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

You will need to also bleed the ABS. I am told this requires a special tool. Just what I am told, don't know for sure.
Old 11/7/08, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cobrakev
You will need to also bleed the ABS. I am told this requires a special tool. Just what I am told, don't know for sure.
Crap. You really have to bleed the abs system? I have no clue how to do that. I didn't know the abs system was link to the brake lines. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 11/7/08, 04:18 PM
V6 Member

I would do a regular bleed of the brake system and go from there. It is possible that no air got into the ABS.
Old 11/7/08, 07:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I managed to get air in my front lines at one point. A good bleed got everything back on track, including proper ABS operation.
Old 11/8/08, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
I managed to get air in my front lines at one point. A good bleed got everything back on track, including proper ABS operation.
I read somewhere that some system with a good bled with do the job and there would be no need to do the abs. Some you will need to bled the abs. Which system is our mustang? Also how is the brake lines from the abs link to the regular brakes lines?
Old 11/8/08, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

It states in the service manual that if you get air in the lines, you will need to run a service procedure (hooked up to the IDS system that we can't get) to properly bleed the ABS system.

That's what it states.

But, I did NOT have any issues getting everything to work correctly (brakes and ABS) with just a mostly standard bleed. I did to a power bleed on it (Pressure tank pushing pressurized fluid into the reservoir) versus the "pump and hold" bleed, but I do not know if that made any difference or not. I WILL say that little "Motive Pressure Bleeder" kit is MORE than worth it to me! The one you need for 2005+ Mustangs is: http://store.motiveproducts.com/shar...unt2=891624093

Good luck.
Old 11/8/08, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If it was a front caliper that was leaking and you haven't touched the brake pedal yet you might get by with just refilling the resevoir and letting it gravity bleed from the caliper that was leaking. If it doesn't work you'll have to bleed the system.
Old 11/9/08, 02:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lime GT
If it was a front caliper that was leaking and you haven't touched the brake pedal yet you might get by with just refilling the resevoir and letting it gravity bleed from the caliper that was leaking. If it doesn't work you'll have to bleed the system.
When I got home and found out that the brake fluid tank went empty, I quickly filled it up with fluid and didn't touch the brakes. How would I know if my ABS brakes is not functioning properly?

Also does anyone know if the ABS line is link to the regular brake lines? Does anyone know how to bleed the ABS system?
Old 11/9/08, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

I tested mine the old fashioned way: I hammered the brakes from medium speed. The racket the ABS systems makes is VERY clear. I tested on clean asphalt roads as well as looser roads to see if the ABS was activating, did the car brake straight, or did it pull to one side or the other, was one wheel locking up, could I turn while braking hard with the ABS activated without loosing control due to wheel lockup, etc. Fairly basic driving tests.

Unless you have a $4000 VCM/IDS system, you can't bleed the ABS system. That system is used to active the pump and open and close the valves automatically in a bleeding routine. That puts it pretty much out of our league, unfortunately.
Old 11/9/08, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I tested mine the old fashioned way: I hammered the brakes from medium speed. The racket the ABS systems makes is VERY clear. I tested on clean asphalt roads as well as looser roads to see if the ABS was activating, did the car brake straight, or did it pull to one side or the other, was one wheel locking up, could I turn while braking hard with the ABS activated without loosing control due to wheel lockup, etc. Fairly basic driving tests.

Unless you have a $4000 VCM/IDS system, you can't bleed the ABS system. That system is used to active the pump and open and close the valves automatically in a bleeding routine. That puts it pretty much out of our league, unfortunately.
Thanks, I will try this later today.
Old 11/9/08, 12:53 PM
Cobra Member

Actually, it is somewhat possible to bleed the ABS, you need to get it to activate several times while driving to operate the valves, then bleed the regular brakes again. If your pedal goes soft after an ABS activation, then you had air in the ABS module and need to bleed the brakes again.
Old 11/10/08, 12:41 AM
Cobra Member

It states in the service manual that if you get air in the lines, you will need to run a service procedure (hooked up to the IDS system that we can't get) to properly bleed the ABS system.

That's what it states.

But, I did NOT have any issues getting everything to work correctly (brakes and ABS) with just a mostly standard bleed. I did to a power bleed on it (Pressure tank pushing pressurized fluid into the reservoir) versus the "pump and hold" bleed, but I do not know if that made any difference or not. I WILL say that little "Motive Pressure Bleeder" kit is MORE than worth it to me! The one you need for 2005+ Mustangs is: http://store.motiveproducts.com/shar...unt2=891624093

Good luck.
I heard those were good for bleeding the clutch also. Which one fits the 05+ Mustang, the link just goes to the main page.
Old 11/10/08, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

There model 0108 is the correct one. It fits GM and late model Fords. You can also get other fittings to use it on your other vehicles as well.