2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mystery Clicking Sound. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/07 | 09:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Unhappy Mystery Clicking Sound. Any ideas?

Hey everyone. Im new to the boards, been reading for the past few weeks haven't bothered to post. Either way, a quick introduction before I ask for some opinions. Just bought a used 05 Redfire GT 5spd with 15k miles on it about a month ago.

Current mods are: 20" American Racing Shelby Torque Thrust M (255/35/20), Steeda Ultralite springs(After I saw Tacobill's drop i decided I had to do it =), GTA Axle back, CDC flat black chin spoiler and some minor interior trim things.

ANYWAYS, moving on. So as I mentioned I bought the car used and when we originally picked it up it had a slight metal clicking sound coming from the dirver side of the motor(would last like 15seconds or so) salesmen didn't really say anything. Either way we purchased it. Long story short, more times then not, when I get to a stop light and let the car sit in idle(or even first gear sometimes) the car begins to do this metal clicking sound last about 15 seconds and this only happens when the engine is at normal running temps. Anyways, after a couple weeks I took it into ford cause I was beggining to get bothered by the sound. Ford tech originally though it was a bad lifter and was more then eagered to have it replaced. Free of chraged being under factory warrenty.

Where things get funny is, while on the test drive he would try and rev the engine in hopes of aggrivating the sound to make a better guess at what was wrong. To his suprise, the reving did not add to the clicking sound rather it would make it go away. The sound only came back once the car would idle. A week later he said the mechanic sound nothing wrong, and tha Ford Co was now in charge of authorizing repairs on it. The scoped the cylinder heads and found nothing. So the car was re-assembled and given back to me with the instructions big it back when its much worse so we can fix what we see broken.

Took the car, sound seemed to have dissapeared. Untill about a week ago where it only occassionally clicks when in idle but now does what I call like a light flicker sound. Like lightly pitter-patting a can of soda in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th gear. Its not loud. But I know its there and its annoying. Anyways, it was taken back intoday and all the trips have been documented. The tech is hopeing that the engine gets bad enough where it dies so he can just replace the entire engine.

I know its alot to read. I apologize and I know its hard to really describe the exact sound Im hearing. Again, its not loud enough for unsuspecting poeple to hear. But those who look for it can hear it.

Any thoughts?

BTW, great forums. Enjoy reading all the things that go on here. Lotsa to be learned and even more money to be spent. Haha
Old 4/20/07 | 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry for your problems. I have no idea what it could be. Thank goodness you still have the warranty. But, if they can not identify it you will be out of luck. Get ready for the...It is supposed to sound like that when they can not find anything...

Keep up posted...
Old 4/20/07 | 10:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah, i still have about 10k/1yr left on the factory. I also have extended warrenty to the 75k.

Im fortunate enough to be dealing with the Assistant manager of the service dept. So, as far as service goes I couldnt ask for anything better. Good guys.
Old 4/21/07 | 07:51 AM
Cobra Member

The upside is that the tech DOES think there's a problem, he just can't find it. Has his opinion been documented at all?
Old 4/21/07 | 10:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

The 4.6 makes a ton of different noises. Every now and then I think I hear a rod bearing or a valve ticking, then it doesn't do it for a while. Its always while idle and not under acceleration. I think they are just noisy like that. Major engine problems are always consistent. It also depends on what you are next to as you get different sounds resonated back at you from other parked cars, curbs, etc. I've had real issues like that and there is no doubt about it when something is wrong.
Old 4/21/07 | 12:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
The 4.6 makes a ton of different noises. Every now and then I think I hear a rod bearing or a valve ticking, then it doesn't do it for a while. Its always while idle and not under acceleration. I think they are just noisy like that. Major engine problems are always consistent. It also depends on what you are next to as you get different sounds resonated back at you from other parked cars, curbs, etc. I've had real issues like that and there is no doubt about it when something is wrong.
My '97 Cobra with the 32 valve occassionally sounded like it was full of marbles at idle. I attributed some of the noise to the clutch, but the motor made some odd noises as well.
Old 4/21/07 | 05:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

I noticed your car had the GTA's on it. Check and make sure the bolts holding the muffler hanger brackets are tight. I just messed around with mine and didn't tighten them back, and I had the worst metallic rattle, like my mufflers were falling off. Just a thought...
Old 4/21/07 | 06:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah, both the Ford dealer and Ford Co have records of my visits. My dealer is aware of a problem, they know its not supposed to be making those sounds. But cant locate the issue. They just want the car to completly give or be unbearable loud. Which its not close to either right now.

Yeah I've read the 4.6 is atad noise. But like I mentioned, even the techs know this is an abnormal sound. Least its not annoying enough to where other poeple in the car can notice.

Im confused right now. Lol, I almost want the thing to just bust and have it swapped. Either way. Love the car. My mom has a 68' mustang (daily driver). But this is my first mustang.

naw, its not the GTAs. I actually just put them on today. Speaking of which, sound amazing. Extremely happy with the purchase. Got them from Ninosports. Good deal.
Old 4/21/07 | 06:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool, I'm getting my GTAs from Nino on Wednesday, hope I like them too, the Stingers are on the way out!
Old 4/22/07 | 04:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Unrelated, but did you two just change tothe GTA mufflers or did you also swap out wtih an X or H pipe? Im close to changing mine and was looking curious what most people are doing.
Old 4/22/07 | 07:11 AM
GTR Member

I doubt you'll be able to get a new engine or whatever, maybe its just one of those sounds that might go away Anyway welcome to the boards and keep us posted as I'm curious what this prob is
Old 4/22/07 | 07:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Im only saying an engine swap because the tech(who is the service assistant manager) and from what he tells me Ford Co are talking about a swap if the problem worsens and nothing can be found. Which is where we're at. Sound got alittle worse and still no sign of where. I originally thought it was the variable cam timing(had a TBS out) but they said that was checked. That was the only thing which I read about that described everything I had. Oh well

Thanks, glad to be a member of the forum.

Originally Posted by Webba
Unrelated, but did you two just change tothe GTA mufflers or did you also swap out wtih an X or H pipe? Im close to changing mine and was looking curious what most people are doing.
Stock H. And I know the sound of them will get deeper once their broken in. Those youtube videos and whatnot dont do any exhaust system justice.
Old 4/22/07 | 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm curious as to what it is It doesn't sound like its a terminal issue though like a wrist pin or rod bearing. Personally I'd rather have it be an issue with the heads or something up top then having to get another motor. Typically, if its in the bottom end which is much simpler mechanically, you don't have too many intermittent problems, if a rod is knocking, its knocking. Since there are no pushrods or any valvetrain parts in the block, anything up top shouldn't require a new block. I don't know if they actually give you a new crate motor or a reman in those situations either. Its rare to see a 4.6 come out of the car. A new head every now and again, but rarely the entire unit. Again, with other cars that I have had a bad bearing or wrist pin, you KNOW its bad. You kinda know its an internal short block issue when the noise never goes away.