2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My 'vert now has a lake

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/06, 05:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford4v429, thanks so much for posting the pic and explanation of how to disassemble the side of the car. You sure have quite the project going on ! Are you doing an install ? I am most impressed. I would be quite intimidated if I had to try and tackle something like that. Bummer that the rocker panels are a pain to remove, that would have been really nice if they made them easy to take off. It sounds like my experience trying to take the A pillar trim off - it did not go well. I would have gladly spent another $10 for the high quality fasteners. Thanks again !
Old 1/18/06, 06:23 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by os121@January 18, 2006, 6:39 PM
Ford4v429, thanks so much for posting the pic and explanation of how to disassemble the side of the car. You sure have quite the project going on ! Are you doing an install ? I am most impressed. I would be quite intimidated if I had to try and tackle something like that. Bummer that the rocker panels are a pain to remove, that would have been really nice if they made them easy to take off. It sounds like my experience trying to take the A pillar trim off - it did not go well. I would have gladly spent another $10 for the high quality fasteners. Thanks again !
Thanks, but no install here, just wanting to try and make it as 'ohio-proof' as possible...I have no idea what I'm doing, but am trying my darndest to keep salt/dirt out and still get airflow/drainage...no fun, but I would rather go thru this than to be dealing with rust in 5-10 years...dont want to drive in the salt, but until a few REAL good rains in the spring, its just a fact of life around here- not driving in winter means losing a year of driving every four, and thats no fun...and I cant keep myself from wanting to drive this car- as long as its driveable anyways Will still avoid snow/salt as much as possible, but on the dry/yet still 'salt dusty' days I'll be out wastin gas as much as possible...cant imagine getting tired of this car

-got more pics, and will keep adding more in another thread here:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=613967
Old 1/19/06, 07:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Latest update:

Took the car to the dealer today. Dragged the service adviser outside and showed him the 3" area of A-pillar weatherstrip that's collapsed (found on my own last weekend) as well as the missing plastic plug/seal for the passenger side cowl trim panel locating pins (also found saturday). He looks very ashamed and asks the "technician" who water tested it if he looked under the cowl trim. Tech says "No, if I poured water down the windshield, I thought it MUST be a windshield leak" :bang: (mind you this same tech took 6.5 hours to replace my Skipper 500 last Thurs, including saying it was done without moving the programming, and them hours later letting me leave with the climate controls unplugged :angry: )

Parts are ordered, and I've been promised a free rental if the car needs to stay when they come in (though why they would need it overnight for what looks like 90 minutes of labor eludes me)
Old 1/26/06, 07:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Today's update, dealer called yesterday, said the parts were in, I dropped it this morning, they had it all day, called at 4pm to say it was ready, I go to pick it up, walk out to the car and open the passenger door to inspect the job installing the new A-pillar weatherstrip, and find THE SAME OLD DAMAGED WEATHERSTRIP STILL ON THE CAR :bang:

I walk back inside (not very happy mind you) and they try to claim "I MUST be mistaken..." I walk the service manager outside and show him and first he tries to convince me that it's the new weatherstrip and the 3" collapsed area is "normal", then when it's clear I'm not buying that, he goes into the service bays to get the removed parts and prove it to me, and he returns with the the remains of the weatherstrip pieces from the top OVER the door. THey ordered the wrong parts and replaced perfectly good parts

I then spent the next HOUR in the parts department while they tried to lookup the correct part # and couldn't fint it...they say they need to call Ford in the morning 'cause they can't figure it out.

As if I'm not steamed enough, I decide that I'd better look under the cowl to see if they replaced the water seal under there that was apparently left off at the factory. The minute I open the hood, there's a greasy scratch awl (like an icepick for those not tool fans) sitting right on top of the radiator shroud. the dealership people were standing right there and just go "*sigh* that Aaron kid...."

At least the water seal was in place, but now I'm waiting for a dealership I have zero faith in, to find the part and take their FOURTH whack at fixing this. NOT a happy camper tonight.... :bang:
Old 1/26/06, 08:14 PM
legacy Tms Member

sorry to hear...Ive hadsimilar faith in dealer 'repairs'...

I's strongly suggest a new dealer- any can do repairs, these guys obviously got at least one bad apple bringing them down(or 'aaron' is codeword for 'oops')...I found one dealer that fixed one problem right the first time- a week later found out neighbor down the street was the guy that repaired...he asked 'hows the van running?'...thats the only dealer I'll try again if something happens to my mustang...I liked selling dealer, but service got their three strikes long ago...someone else will get service work.

BTW_ mine has indented weatherstripping on both sides where mirror plastic part of door closes- I'd say from the looks of it its 'normal' on mine, although I'd like to see them try a bit better in keeping stuff flush. my 85 camaro had same indent at mirror, and while it never caused a problem, after a year or so the weatherstrip might as well have been hard rubber...I will keep an eye on mine since you mentioned it, as especially with the short drop glass it may tend to roll when door opens/closes...
Old 1/26/06, 08:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by ford4v429@January 26, 2006, 10:17 PM
sorry to hear...Ive hadsimilar faith in dealer 'repairs'...

I's strongly suggest a new dealer- any can do repairs, these guys obviously got at least one bad apple bringing them down(or 'aaron' is codeword for 'oops')...I found one dealer that fixed one problem right the first time- a week later found out neighbor down the street was the guy that repaired...he asked 'hows the van running?'...thats the only dealer I'll try again if something happens to my mustang...I liked selling dealer, but service got their three strikes long ago...someone else will get service work.

BTW_ mine has indented weatherstripping on both sides where mirror plastic part of door closes- I'd say from the looks of it its 'normal' on mine, although I'd like to see them try a bit better in keeping stuff flush. my 85 camaro had same indent at mirror, and while it never caused a problem, after a year or so the weatherstrip might as well have been hard rubber...I will keep an eye on mine since you mentioned it, as especially with the short drop glass it may tend to roll when door opens/closes...
On mine it's a big indent in that area, like 1/2" deep and three long, with cracks in the rubber. It's enough to pinch the water runoff channel that's part of the weatherstrip closed, and let rain water back up in the channel, and since it's already inside the glass, it eventually finds it's way into the interior.

One more screwup I forgot to mention. My car has 8,200 mi on it, they entered into the service record as 80,555.... They're *insert cuss here* well gonna fix that before they screw up my warranty....
Old 1/28/06, 02:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

The dealer is SUPPOSED to have the correct weatherstrip on Monday. It was a nice day here in the Northeast so I took the 'stang out for a ride. The door subwoofer was making something buzz, so I fished around in the door pocket and came up with a phillips screw driver that definitely isn't one of mine. Maybe these guys are doing a promotion like gas stations giving away glasses with a fillup in the old days, "Free tools with every service visit, collect the whole set"!
Old 2/1/06, 10:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Today's update: No call from the dealership Monday/Tues, so this morning I call them. I'm told yep, the part is in, and I make arrangements to drop the car off despite the fact I have a serious stomach flu going on, I just want the car done.

While I'm dropping it off, I tell the service advisor that I actually want to SEE the part this time before it's installed, given that they'd replaced the WRONG parts last time. I don't think he was too thrilled but he went along with my request.

The parts guy comes out with the plastic channel that the weatherstip fits into on the windshield frame, NOT the weatherstrip itself.

They ordered the wrong part *again* :bang:

At least this time I stopped them from replacing another good part for no reason...

They're now supposed to call me when they figure out the correct part number and when they can get it.

Overall these guys are rating a big :notnice: so far
Old 2/3/06, 10:19 AM
GT Member

wow. all i can say is good luck man. that must take a lot of patience...
Old 2/3/06, 02:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangFan @ February 3, 2006, 12:22 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
wow. all i can say is good luck man. that must take a lot of patience...
[/b][/quote]

What you meant to say is you're surprised I haven't killed anyone yet [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img]
Old 2/3/06, 07:30 PM
GT Member

Wow, your name should be Job with the patience you have. Your account reads like an automotive soap opera. I feel for you. I just had a trained monkey try to install my new JBA "H" dual exhaust, and buggered it up. Next week I'm taking it to another shop to have it reinstalled. I won't let that turkey touch my ride again. Good luck, but this has been painfully entertaining!
Old 2/10/06, 06:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, took the car in this first thing morning. I insisted on seeing the weatherstrip before I left in the loaner car that I also insisted on. They'd FINALLY gotten the right part. I then went and had a lovely morning having a root canal at the dentist (an experience not totally unlike trying to get this weatherstrip fixed), and came back about noontime to get the car.

The weatherstrip was in, it looks like they did a good job installing it, and they even washed the car. I'm hoping this is the end of this particular ordeal.
Old 2/10/06, 06:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torch_Vert @ February 10, 2006, 8:30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well, took the car in this first thing morning. I insisted on seeing the weatherstrip before I left in the loaner car that I also insisted on. They'd FINALLY gotten the right part. I then went and had a lovely morning having a root canal at the dentist (an experience not totally unlike trying to get this weatherstrip fixed), and came back about noontime to get the car.

The weatherstrip was in, it looks like they did a good job installing it, and they even washed the car. I'm hoping this is the end of this particular ordeal.
[/b][/quote]
Good to hear man, finally its done. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/11/06, 07:55 PM
legacy Tms Member

good luck- hope the frustration has ended.

I still kinda worry about that much water getting in from up there- but hopefully that was it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/11/06, 10:41 PM
GT Member

I would not go back to that dealer.
Old 2/12/06, 09:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ford4v429 @ February 11, 2006, 9:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
good luck- hope the frustration has ended.

I still kinda worry about that much water getting in from up there- but hopefully that was it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

The majority of the water was coming in from the missing seal on the cowl in front of the windshield (that I found, not them of course). That left a rectangular hole 1.5" x .5" right in front of the corner of the windshield for all the draining water from the windshield to run right into.

The top weatherstrip was just obviously damaged and causing a minor leak.

And no, I'm NOT planning on taking the car back there.
Old 2/14/06, 09:07 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torch_Vert @ February 10, 2006, 7:30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

O man I lost it on the root canal. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] LMAO Sure hope you got it fixed this time.
Old 7/14/06, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Is there a part number for the plug at the base of the windshield?