My 'vert now has a lake

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/05, 08:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Sandyman@December 8, 2005, 9:59 PM
Are you sure it's rainwater?
Yeah, it's rainwater (not coolant, etc)

It's been in the 20's and 30's here so no progress. I do have it under a water resistant car cover. I looked for missing body plugs last week. didn't see any, but that doesn't totally rule that out.
Old 12/26/05, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check w/dealer i know someone who is an inspecter on the vert line lots of issues w/leaking she said "engineers are continually watching the line " 1 fix was to put a piece of "duct tape" from the body to the top don,t know any other specifics
brianj (tncruiser)
Old 12/26/05, 11:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by tncruiser@December 26, 2005, 7:50 AM
check w/dealer i know someone who is an inspecter on the vert line lots of issues w/leaking she said "engineers are continually watching the line " 1 fix was to put a piece of "duct tape" from the body to the top don,t know any other specifics
brianj (tncruiser)
Thanks. One worry I have is that I had a windshield replaced due to a rock strike. Now I have to wonder if it's the glass shop or Ford on the hook for the leak (still don't know where it's coming from)
Old 12/26/05, 11:53 AM
GT Member

I suspect the windshield seal. A lot of water goes down the front and side of the widshield. I've read of others with windshield leaks.
Old 12/27/05, 08:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05Stang_WI@December 26, 2005, 1:56 PM
I suspect the windshield seal. A lot of water goes down the front and side of the widshield. I've read of others with windshield leaks.
Well, had it at the glass shop today, they checked and doublechecked and couldn't find a defect in the windshield. It's off to the dealer tomorrow evening.
Old 12/29/05, 04:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's been at the dealership 24 hours now. They couldn't tell me what if anything they've found, just said call back tomorrow afternoon
Old 12/30/05, 05:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

This gets better and better. The dealer swears it's the windshield seal, the glass place swears it's the A pillar seals, and I'm stuck with a car that leaks while the two of them just blame each other :bang:
Old 1/6/06, 08:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Latest update, the glass shop is replacing the windshield Monday, even though they still say they don't think that the problem. At least someone is trying something... :bang:
Old 1/7/06, 03:07 PM

I have recently come up with the same problem. Ford has assured me that a replacement trip piece will resolve the problem. Not sure exactly what part it is but I'll let you know. He also had another in shop with the same problem
Old 1/7/06, 08:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by hillmore@January 7, 2006, 5:10 PM
I have recently come up with the same problem. Ford has assured me that a replacement trip piece will resolve the problem. Not sure exactly what part it is but I'll let you know. He also had another in shop with the same problem
Please do. I'd really like to know how you make out getting yours fixed.
Old 1/10/06, 09:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, the new windshield is in, results to be determined.....
Old 1/14/06, 01:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

New windshield...same leak :bang:

It rained today. Went out to check the car, a quarter inch of water on the passenger side floorboard (I'd left the carpet up until I was sure this was fixed).
Old 1/14/06, 01:24 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Man...I was looking for this thread...'Tammiejoe' had a electrical problem I thought mighta been related, and I couldnt find the thread.

as a side note- if youre tired of dicking around with dealer over it, the front wheelwells come out extremely easily...the rear half only has a few camlock pegs, after the tires off you can pull it in seconds with no risk of damaging anything- just watch the front edge against the abs sensor wire- push that under first. The electric plug/boot is right there, and any 'hidden' seams are instantly accessible.
Theres seams up top too, but as it looks pretty much vertical, I dont see anywhere up top there could be a gap- everything runs down behind the fenderwell, unless inside cowl, that wouldnt be fun to find. If its too cold to play in the water, consider blowing a bit of compressed air and listening/feeling for leaks underhood/fenderwell. Good luck!
Old 1/14/06, 06:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks. It seems to be coming from higher up than the area there. Somewhere by the upper door hinge say, or at least that height above the floor. I might pull the liner for a look-see though. Nothing to lose

Originally posted by ford4v429@January 14, 2006, 3:27 PM
Man...I was looking for this thread...'Tammiejoe' had a electrical problem I thought mighta been related, and I couldnt find the thread.

as a side note- if youre tired of dicking around with dealer over it, the front wheelwells come out extremely easily...the rear half only has a few camlock pegs, after the tires off you can pull it in seconds with no risk of damaging anything- just watch the front edge against the abs sensor wire- push that under first. The electric plug/boot is right there, and any 'hidden' seams are instantly accessible.
Theres seams up top too, but as it looks pretty much vertical, I dont see anywhere up top there could be a gap- everything runs down behind the fenderwell, unless inside cowl, that wouldnt be fun to find. If its too cold to play in the water, consider blowing a bit of compressed air and listening/feeling for leaks underhood/fenderwell. Good luck!
Old 1/16/06, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Reminds me how my dad got his last ford. He bought a 92 Thunderbird sport from Ford that was bought back on the lemon law because of a simular leak. I think he fixed it in a day, cant remember what it was. Still has the car today.
Old 1/16/06, 09:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm going in Thurs to have the dealer water test it. In the meantime, I found two possible issues on my own. A bubble in the A-pillar weatherstrip, and a missing plastic plug/seal for the cowl trim piece right in front of the windshield. I'm going to get them to fix those whether or not they're the source of "THE" problem.
Old 1/17/06, 05:32 PM
legacy Tms Member

taking off fenders/rockers for undercoating, think I see a likely candidate for 'high' leak...water channel along windshield dumps in circled area- mines got a gap there too...way outer panel sealant is 'dammed' up, looks like any water would have to exit 'elsewhere'. I'm gonna fill mine so it runs out along outer cowl- but also think I'll add some black windshield adhesive under the 'channel' that runs into this area, to keep water up top, so it drains over plastic cowl cover like everything else... you might be able to look into this corner with fender attached, but its pretty tight.
Old 1/17/06, 06:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

ford4v429, that is a great picture. Any chance you could post another picture from further out so I could see what the general area looks like without the fender ? Also, how hard was it to remove the fenders and get in there ?

Thanks !
Old 1/17/06, 10:22 PM
legacy Tms Member

[attachmentid=43133]Fenders come of super easy EXCEPT- theres one bolt below headlamp, pointing towards center of car...the bumper surely is put on last, so getting at this bolt is a delicate thing...gotta take the 3 nuts off the bumper/fender edge, pull bumper down and out(watch- theres poprivet heads in top of bumper that could scratch fender if let go) then spend about 5 minutes with an open end wrench... I ductaped all the edges to keep from bumping paint...

Rocker covers are a PITA...the fenderwell pins/bottom pegs pull out easy enough(bottom pegs are tight), but the upper hidden clips are a pain...I was afraid of pulling too hard would hate to break off a tab or something, but its basically pull and shove back and forth the tiny bit it will move to pop free one at a time, front to rear...rearmost three took probably ten minutes to get out...had to take a tiny screwdriver with shaft taped up to reach in and dislodge one end of one clip that simply wouldnt let go...

As far as the top cowl draining...its designed to drain back under the hood hinge, then water runs into side box, down outside edge of cowl, so gap I mentioned wasnt a problem at all...but two things- I really didnt care for all the water running in and out, so dammed it up with a bunch of goop to divert it over the cowl, and made some little 'guides' of sealer to keep it running away from outer holes. some underhood water will still get in the box, but I dont feel like tearing into it that deep...brakes/all kinds of crap in the way...
Also in the pic above theres a black blob right above the height of top hinge- I think this is just foamed up 'weldthru' sealer...the outer upper box has burnt sealer at the cowl welds, so it must be installed after dipping chassis, and this 'blob' was barely hanging on there...I pulled it off with little to no effort at all and - hole into cowl. If this might be the same on the lakester, I think that blob could be picked out easily with a paintstick or such, then use same to smear a dollop of seam sealer back over it- dont think fender would need pulled for access...if anything, rear half of wheelwell and tire would get ya in there for sure- and the fenderwells could not be any easier to remove.

heres a bigger picture of the area w/o fender
Old 1/18/06, 07:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Ford4v429: Thanks, you're right that does look like a potential trouble area. I'll check it out....

Quick Reply: My 'vert now has a lake