2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My Ordering Experience

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/06, 03:46 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ordering Experience

Well, I went out this past weekend and ordered my car....here is how it went.

I was offered "x-plan pricing" a few months ago...so when I went back to the dealership the guy had gone...but the internet guy said sure...and he quoted me what I was looking for...but it basically turns out to be invoice...but he missed the cloth top..so the price he quoted me was actually a couple of hundred low....more on that in a minute.

So I ask for quotes from a handfull of other dealers in the area...and they all came out below MSRP...but way above invoice...so I went with the first guy.

So, I show up at the dealership and give him the details...he comes back with invoice pricing....tells me it's X-Plan and I can do no better. I tell him it's a couple of hundred higher than what we discussed over the phone....he says they made a mistake and did not take into account the top. I said, "I understand...but you have to understand...I had a number in mind, I gave you a list, you gave me a number...it was a little high because it had the FDAF that I did not want to pay ($420) but I could accept that...but now I am sitting here looking at a couple of hundred more.

He says it is a Ford Mandated price...they they can't sell it for less...that they would get in trouble...that they are already not going to make any money on the deal...uh huh...I have heard that somewhere before...

Keep in mind...I know it's invoice...but I play the game...I told him I knew that at the price we agreed upon they were going to make some profit due to holdback...he says, "We don't get holdback on every car"...yeah, right.

He says, It's not a lot of money...only a couple of hundred." I say, you're right...but without it, I am walking.

So he goes, comes back and says O.K.....let's talk about meeting halfway...I will throw in 2 free tanks of gas and an oil change.

I agreed...but only because he met me halfway...as far as the other stuff...the 1st free tank of gas comes with the car...the second comes with a completed survey....standard stuff...and the oil change....more trouble to drive out to the dealership than it is worth...but I play dumb and sign the deal.

In the end...I got the car, a hair below invoice..and that is what I wanted.

Hopefully..there will be no problems....they tell me the order will be placed tomorrow and I should get some paperwork on it shortly after.

I am curious about how this will go and how well I will be able to track my order...because I will be PI$$ED royally if they try to sell that car out from under me when it comes in.

If this guy does me right...I will tell everyone who will listen what a great deal I got there...if it goes the other way...I will tell everyone I know about that too.

We shall see....